What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

last year Sensi Seeds was good?

Sparkus_Maximus

The main problem with their seeds today is the inconsistency, you can can have good results with a pack one day and buy the same pack a year after and get crap. The difference coming from who sold them the seeds, they don't have their own seeds production facilities anymore so they buy from different producers who don't have the same work ethics.
I often am tempted to get a pack of Super Skunk to run because it was by far my favorite line in the 90's and I've grown about 6 packs of 15 seeds when they were some of the best you could buy, from 96 to 2007. But I refrain myself because there is very little chance to get the same seeds I was buying before, their old seeds stock dried at different stage depending on the strain but every growers who was used to their work when they were the best know they are not the same anymore.
I've grown their Sensi SKUNK in O7 and the result was decent but in the same run I had California Indica, I had a good plant but they were not the same than the pack I had grown in 99, a lot more variation and a lot more sativa in their gene, they've grown from 20/25cm at day 1 of 12/12 to 160cm at harvest, I had never had such stretch before with the real CI seeds.
If I remember correctly those Super Skunk fem- freebies from a decade-ago came from the Attitude. Personally I loved the Indica-Leaning (hash-plant) buzz that just had me tasting more and more until it just basically knocked me -out for the night. There was a nice initial ''skunk#1'' - up- effect which turned into a full-on Afghani Hash-Plant body buzz within about 30 - 45 minutes, and became super-pleasant, thus keeping me coming back for another couple of tokes until a Full KO' for the night . The finish time was super fast at almost exactly 8- weeks, both plants were fully done before the others under the same conditions, and the taste was another classic ++ . Apropos the California Indica, I ran Nirvana's Cali-Orange back in 2006 and had several different phenos out of the same 10-pack of regs. A couple stretched like a Mofo, and ended up being a waste of space, but a couple of the best ones were Truly = Good. Medium in stature and compact, finishing around 9.5 weeks with Tons of Trichomes, Truly Orange-rind smell / flavor and a 2- Toke potency (for All experienced Heads in the house, and - beyond). I had to stop sharing, because Everyone I knew kept coming back wanting more of my Favorite Personal Stash at the time :-D. Talk about a need to pheno-hunt, but with Nirvana it was already expected, still those 2 Ladies were More than Worth the $30.00 bucks I paid for that 10- pack of regs back then. I only wish I kept clones or made F2's with them, but at the time I just didn't have the space to do what was needed to keep them going, and I chucked all the males as soon as they indicated.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
If I remember correctly those Super Skunk fem- freebies from a decade-ago came from the Attitude. Personally I loved the Indica-Leaning (hash-plant) buzz that just had me tasting more and more until it just basically knocked me -out for the night. There was a nice initial ''skunk#1'' effect which turned into an full-on Aghgani Hash-Plant body buzz within about 30 -minutes, and was super-pleasant, thus kept me coming back for another couple of tokes until a KO' . The finish time was super fast at almost exactly 8- weeks, both plants were fully done before the others under the same conditions, and the taste was another classic ++
Hey, it looks like you have been lucky and had a pretty good representation of what Super Skunk can be, even if you what describe sounds a bit more indica leaning than what I remember. But my last toke on Super Skunk was very long time ago now but what I like is the fact you got back for the taste even if you knew it would knock you out after that. In my memory the Super Skunk taste was one the best I've experienced then, today there is so many different terpene profiles maybe it would be lost in the mass.

Sparkus_Maximus

Hey, it looks like you have been lucky and had a pretty good representation of what Super Skunk can be, even if you what describe sounds a bit more indica leaning than what I remember. But my last toke on Super Skunk was very long time ago now but what I like is the fact you got back for the taste even if you knew it would knock you out after that. In my memory the Super Skunk taste was one the best I've experienced then, today there is so many different terpene profiles maybe it would be lost in the mass.
Yea bro, I actually remember those 2- freebies being quite good IME back in those days, and remember thinking I want to buy a pack and breed my own. Life happens, and somehow I didn't get around to doing that, and it seems some of Sensi's gear has degraded since then. Then again, it could be a luck of the draw, Their Super Skunk is a Long-Established hybrid, and not so expensive these days, If I didn't already have more beans in my fridge than hair on my own head, I would be tempted to get a pack and check the current lineage directly again for myself.

Last edited:

Ca++

Even with a great name, and the best marketing team, your market presence must be backed up by a reasonable product. We all know their name, as we do High Times. Yet something has them falling behind. AI can see the beans must be rubbish, and AI doesn't even grow.

Logic aside, I think I have done everything spoke of above, and more. The distaste I have for them isn't wanted, but it's the only thing growing well. It would take some good diaries to make me try something from them again, and it would have to be beside something that would carry me through.

They still have that great name, but need to team up with someone that has great beans. IIRC they do sell some stuff now, that's white label, not theirs. That is not how to work the branding though. That's how to sell for a friend. Which is what people say, that sell broken things.

The brand could and should be saved, but I don't even look anymore.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Yea bro, I actually remember those 2- freebies being quite good IME back in those days, and remember thinking I want to buy a pack and breed my own. Life happens, and somehow I didn't get around to doing that, and it seems some of Sensi's gear has degraded since then. Then again, it could be a luck of the draw, Their Super Skunk is a Long-Established hybrid, and not so expensive these days, If I didn't already have more beans in my fridge than hair on my own head, I would be tempted to get a pack and check for myself.
I think very often of buying some myself but I don't want to be disappointed by the result as this strain is one of the grail of my youth. I'll certainly pull the trigger one day and try just 1 female by grow so it's a disaster it doesn't damage too much my harvest. One thing who could decide me to buy them is a grow log here from a trusted grower to see what they can do but no guaranty to get the same lot and that's the major problem as I stated inconsistency.

Sparkus_Maximus

Even with a great name, and the best marketing team, your market presence must be backed up by a reasonable product. We all know their name, as we do High Times. Yet something has them falling behind. AI can see the beans must be rubbish, and AI doesn't even grow.

Logic aside, I think I have done everything spoke of above, and more. The distaste I have for them isn't wanted, but it's the only thing growing well. It would take some good diaries to make me try something from them again, and it would have to be beside something that would carry me through.

They still have that great name, but need to team up with someone that has great beans. IIRC they do sell some stuff now, that's white label, not theirs. That is not how to work the branding though. That's how to sell for a friend. Which is what people say, that sell broken things.

The brand could and should be saved, but I don't even look anymore.
Very True, I totally agree here. Matter of Fact, the Last (most recent) Good result I personally got from Sensi was their Hindu Kush -fem which I pulled the trigger on due to Always Liking the (Classic H.K.) and the very Reasonable price for the 5- pack helped things along as well. Classic H.K. Finished in no more than 8 weeks (outside in this particular case), Lovely ''window-putty'' smell and the taste that we all know and adore. Mild (yet substantial) potency, at least when compared to some of the Frankenstein-Hybrids of this day and age. I personally really liked it, although that purchase was made around 2014, so I can't attest to their standards these days. The Price is very reasonable, and I can never really get that initial H.K. experience out of my mind. I Love the "'effective-functionality'' / relative mildness of the classic Hindu-Kush. 10- years ago, all those phenotypes I got were quite representative of a classic Hindu-Kush line and basically like (clones of each-other). I remember it some of my favorite Substantially Potent Yet ''Mild and functional'' Indica of all time all in all. Not to mention the Taste and smell was just - addictive AF. Those curing jars were getting burped as a daily reflex, even when I didn't have time to partake 😂

Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

I think very often of buying some myself but I don't want to be disappointed by the result as this strain is one of the grail of my youth. I'll certainly pull the trigger one day and try just 1 female by grow so it's a disaster it doesn't damage too much my harvest. One thing who could decide me to buy them is a grow log here from a trusted grower to see what they can do but no guaranty to get the same lot and that's the major problem as I stated inconsistency.
Exactly my same issue - And the fact that I have an Entire Jar Full of bean-packs (for 2-3 Lifetimes, apparently :) is not speeding up my new-purchases. SOO Many Beans to run... SOO little time (in / out) -combined

kro-magnon

Veteran
Exactly my same issue - And the fact that I have an Entire Jar Full of bean-packs (for 2-3 Lifetimes, apparently :) is not speeding up my new-purchases. SOO Many Beans to run... SOO little time (in / out) -combined
I don't hoard seeds today, many years ago I had a lot of Cali O seeds from a repro made by my family but they all lost their vitality before I was able to grow them,I was really mad at me. So now I grow the seeds I get almost immediately and store some home made and a few from unfinished packs but not more than 100/150 seeds to not risk to waste them.

Sparkus_Maximus

I don't hoard seeds today, many years ago I had a lot of Cali O seeds from a repro made by my family but they all lost their vitality before I was able to grow them,I was really mad at me. So now I grow the seeds I get almost immediately and store some home made and a few from unfinished packs but not more than 100/150 seeds to not risk to waste them.
Yea bro, I never intended to actually hoard them, it just became a direct- result of my desire to never run out of many strains to have on hand in the time of need (pretty much the same result, I know . 😁) . As such, I know I don't need to buy for a Looong time if ever, especially considering the fact that I occasionally like to make my own crosses as well. Been feeding my local birds as a result of it all, so everything worked out in the long run🕊️🦅😊, I came to your same conclusion, so now I'm just concentrating on filling the seasons (and indoors) with what I can accommodate and can use currently. I found collecting seeds / varieties can be a habitual-process (like anything else) in life.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts