What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

larger scale ethanol extraction vs BHO. time, cost, and yields

PDX Dopesmoker

Called them and they are doing a preorder sale for the 5 gallon version and its $15K..... Claimed they are recovering over 99% of their alcohol back.

I can get 99% back with a french press, as long as I use 100g of everclear per gram of bud. I was hoping to see some before & after weights, but I guess IG videos is all they have so far.

2. I found this hobart salad dryer with an 18lb capacity. similar to the dr green machine. after the soak you could load this up with about 8-10lbs of etoh saturated trim and spin it like a centrifuge to get the etoh out. I am worried however about the spark of the motor on start up and if it has enough force to get enough etoh out compared to the press and throw it in the freezer method.

I wouldn't go near anything with a brushed sparking motor, it would be real easy to light 15 gallons of ethanol on fire.

HatchWaxman

Did you watch the video? I am not wrong at all. Their "Extractor" is a glass jar, soaking with alcohol, and all they're doing is sending the oil laden alcohol into the spray vap to recover the alcohol.
Is that not what extraction is? Removing oil from plant matter with a solvent.

I got this new idea im going to try out for recovering some more ethanol from my spent material. I can only squeeze so hard. So they make these heatless cloths driers for the energy saver peeps.

Panda 3200 rpm Spin Dryer
https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Stainl...TF8&qid=1483474916&sr=8-1&keywords=panda+3200

Pretty much the same thing as that $15Kunit but a little cheaper and not likely to be explosion proof, so not for inside use. but im going to give it a shot. check out the video of it in action looks like it will do a fine job of recovering the Ethanol from processed material.

Ill report back

cbcool

Has anyone considered a gasketed filter press for recovery of the filtrate from an EToH extraction? similar to the ones used in labs in the mining industry? We're all trying to obtain the highest % filtrate from our washed solids, the same principles apply, The highest % solute from our solubles with the the highest recovery rate of our filtrate from the leach licqor from our filtered solids.

I've never seen a higher filtrate recovery rate then with a gasketed filter press. It's just a thought but I've used them for many years now in gold refining And have lost very little filtrate in recovery, especially when every gram counts.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone considered a gasketed filter press for recovery of the filtrate from an EToH extraction? similar to the ones used in labs in the mining industry? We're all trying to obtain the highest % filtrate from our washed solids, the same principles apply, The highest % solute from our solubles with the the highest recovery rate of our filtrate from the leach licqor from our filtered solids.

I've never seen a higher filtrate recovery rate then with a gasketed filter press. It's just a thought but I've used them for many years now in gold refining And have lost very little filtrate in recovery, especially when every gram counts.

A filter press would probably do a good job removing the waxes when winterizing, but not sure how to pump the plant alcohol solution through one for QWET.

You could grind the material, so that it could be pumped, but ground material and EtOH usually make a greeeeeeeeeeen extraction.

cbcool

GW That's a good point,

I think I used the wrong terminology last night, I was thinking more along the lines of a vertical pressure filter. One could add their material, EToH, then pressurize and release the EToH after a given length of time.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW That's a good point,

I think I used the wrong terminology last night, I was thinking more along the lines of a vertical pressure filter. One could add their material, EToH, then pressurize and release the EToH after a given length of time.

I'm not following.

Are you referring to something pressing the alcohol out of the plant material?

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
maybe im naive, but all this talk of presses and centrifuges... why not just follow up with an extra quick wash?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mostly I've found that by the time I load the material for pressing, little alcohol is left that will press out. That might be improved by loading and unloading in a freezer to keep evaporation down.

cbcool

My thought was to build something similar to the link above, but with a cylinder inside a cylinder. The outer cylinder could be packed with dry ice to keep everything cold and the inner cylinder would have a sharkskin filter in the bottom, then add your material, EtOH, cap it off and pressurize it. Then after a 3-5min soak, or how ever long one wants, then open the bottom valve and release the EtOH into a flask.

I don't know how effective it would be but it seems logical in my head.