What's new

Large Pumpkin Growing

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Hello fellow IC magers. I will be growing many varieties of veggies, fruits, herbs and cannabis this summer. I have never grown a pumpkin before, mainly because of the high demand for sun, but in my new spot that is not a problem.

So, my question is, have any of you guys grown a pumpkin in a large smart pot or something of that nature? Or is everybody growing strait into the ground? I am hoping for a 50-300 pound pumpkin, I am growing Burpee's Prize Winner. All organic, as always.

Any and all advice is welcome, and I hope to see some pics of everybody's gardens this summer. We need to start rocking this forum!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At fritillary we grow pumpkins in the ground outdoors,,, and smaller squashes in pots under glass... as part of our breeding program

There are a few tricks to growing single large pumpkins:

... add LOTS of manure and compost now before planting out in late spring
... pumpkins are greedy feeders and prefer a warm root bed... and will grow happily in a compost heap!
.. once flowering/fruiting cut the plant back to focus all energy into the single fruit.
... feed with beer, stout, and home-made organic teas
.. protect from snails and slugs (with beer traps).

Hope this helps.... enjoy :D

Midnight

Veteran
This is my rottweiler and a pumpkin I grew. And forget growing burpy seeds. If you want good seeds thta will grow a big pumpkin search for big pumpkins dot com. You can get world record seeds there for the cost of a postage stamp.

picture.php

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Docleaf - I have a 20 x 30 garden space that I am thinking of leaving 12 x 6 for just two pumpkin plants. In that area how much compost should I throw in? A yard? I just ordered a growing large pumpkin book, and I appreciate any help before I read it.

Midnight - I checked out that site and can't find any seeds for sale. Am I missing something? Nice pumpkin btw

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is my rottweiler and a pumpkin I grew. And forget growing burpy seeds. If you want good seeds thta will grow a big pumpkin search for big pumpkins dot com. You can get world record seeds there for the cost of a postage stamp.

picture.php

Nice pumpkin but thats the funniest lookin Rott Ive seen :D heheh

MeltingPOT

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bullfrog, thanks for starting this thread...I got gifted some "Giant Pumpkin" seeds and this will be my first Summer trying to bring em' to harvest...Hopefully some people who are experienced will chime in..
Hope you don't mind me dropping a picture of a seedling.
picture.php

Midnight

Veteran
Docleaf - I have a 20 x 30 garden space that I am thinking of leaving 12 x 6 for just two pumpkin plants. In that area how much compost should I throw in? A yard? I just ordered a growing large pumpkin book, and I appreciate any help before I read it.

Midnight - I checked out that site and can't find any seeds for sale. Am I missing something? Nice pumpkin btw

They don't really sell them, if you go to this link and make a post that you are new to big pumpkins and just ask if anyone has some seeds, they will give them to you for the price of postage. I have some that came from a world record cross. If you can't get any over there pm me and I can give you some of mine.

http://bigpumpkins.com/msgboard/ViewBoard.asp?b=1

Midnight

Veteran
Bullfrog, thanks for starting this thread...I got gifted some "Giant Pumpkin" seeds and this will be my first Summer trying to bring em' to harvest...Hopefully some people who are experienced will chime in..
Hope you don't mind me dropping a picture of a seedling.
picture.php

yep, that's for sure an atlantic giant pumpkin seedling. All the best man, you are in for a hell of a ride! Just fyi, these things will take up as much space in your garden as you let them, I've seen the plant itself grow as large as 2500 square feet, they will do this on a regular basis, all the time, not just once in awhile. If you have a small garden plan on pruning a lot or the thing will take over your entire garden and then start on your yard.

I have been growing these things now for three years and I love it. The best thing though is when you put one of these behemoths on your porch during Halloween, the kids and adults just love them.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
So that's what you Hip Young Whipper Snappers are calling it now days "Growing Giant Pumpkins" ;-)
LOL jk jk
May your Pumpkins be so BIG you need a Crane to move them.
Good Luck
I'd like to see updates please

Midnight

Veteran
Bullfrog, which book did you get? Is it Don Langevins book? That is the giant pumpkin growers bible.

med_breeder

I have heard alot about burying your vines. Do any pumpkin growers here do that? It encourages more root production. I can't see a down side.

Midnight

Veteran
I have heard alot about burying your vines. Do any pumpkin growers here do that? It encourages more root production. I can't see a down side.

I do it. What happens is this; as the vine runs you will get a vine, then out a couple of feet a set of leaves, then out a couple of feet with the vine and another set of leaves and so on. When you bury the vines the junction of the vine and the leave will set roots in the soil. When you get more roots your plant gets more water and food uptake and will grow larger and send more stuff to the fruit.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always like threads like these, I am a member at the giant pumpkins forum, there's a lot of great people there that will sell you seed. I purchsed some prize winners last year and grew this out. I've grown for years, I have some seed from it that I will be growing this year. I wanted sorely to get over the 200 pound mark but only reached 165lb with this last fall. Theres a lot to it if you want the big numbers, just like weed. But just like the folks at IC. those peeps in those pumpkin forums are very nice, very helpful in sharing thier knowledge. I'll tag this thread and show what's in Doobies garden when I get strated, DD
picture.php

Midnight

Veteran
I always like threads like these, I am a member at the giant pumpkins forum, there's a lot of great people there that will sell you seed. I purchsed some prize winners last year and grew this out. I've grown for years, I have some seed from it that I will be growing this year. I wanted sorely to get over the 200 pound mark but only reached 165lb with this last fall. Theres a lot to it if you want the big numbers, just like weed. But just like the folks at IC. those peeps in those pumpkin forums are very nice, very helpful in sharing thier knowledge. I'll tag this thread and show what's in Doobies garden when I get strated, DD
picture.php

I think you just need to do whatever it is you did to that weed and you'll get as big a pumpkin as you want! Seriously.

MeltingPOT

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doobie, that is an amazing picture my friend...the ganja and the pumpkin look wonderful.

Midnight

Veteran
Just to show you what the plant will do in a small space. I pruned this on a regular basis.

May 1st 2010
picture.php

July 18th 2010
picture.php

August 8th 2010
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts