What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

large-ish scale outdoor---building living soil

milkyjoe

Veteran
oerch...what do you use for Mo and Co? To be honest I simply spray Mo and fertigate Co both from AEA. I am not sure you can get those products in OR right now cause they say fulvic acid on them and your state has a retarded view of fulvic acid

oct

I just got special blend A and B in the mail yesterday. Which is the same product as nutri-live. I ordered this stuff awhile back before getting tests done or anything. I figured it would be good to use and have around since its a one size fits all kinda thing and I didn't know much about their products.

oct

A

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 8

oct

B

And I didn't see anything with fulvic acid on either one of these so maybe thats why. When I spoke with one of the employees he said they were working out the kinks and should be fully good to ship here in 4-6 weeks. My stuff got here way faster than they said it would which was cool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 14

milkyjoe

Veteran
Did Gary tell you how to use those. I am not familiar with them at all...what are the ingredients, do they say? How much Ca?

oct

Yes he did. Theres no ingredient list. Just lists macros and micros. I don't know how well the pictures comes out, but I took one of both labels.

Blend A has 2.5% Ca

He said mix 3 oz of blend A and 2 oz of blend B per gallon of water and spray once per week. 5 oz per gallon sounded like a lot to me so I doubled checked with him, but he confirmed thats what it is. I haven't opened anything yet. The blend A jug looks like its about to burst.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Open that jug really slowly over a bucket...or just open it into a bucket. If you have ever drank GT'S Gingerade Kombucha, it is like that, really alive with microbes. I don't know how many of those gingerades have spewed on me, I am a slow learner.

So Blends A and B are foliar only?

milkyjoe

Veteran
We have left, if I remember right:
1) A planter mix
2) a weekly fertigation strategy
3) Co and Mo...waiting on orech input
5) the single most important thing for you this yr imo...a microbe plan. I really feel like you should work on microbes weekly, then plant a winter cover crop and next yr you can back off this. I feel like there are two equally valld paths you can follow...just personal preference. If you like making microbes then brew ACT following MicrobeMan's method.

My son goes this route and it works great for him. I would say find 3-4 good composts (or ewcs) a vary your mix every week. I would also say feed a little Sea Shield with that. And I would say test Rejuvenate in place of molasses at least once. It has an off label ingredient that is really strongly pro biotic.

Or, if you are lazy as me buy Tainio/AEA and just dump it in with the weekly fertigation. Sea Shield, Rejuvenate, Spectrum and Pepzyme clear make a very good combo. The advantage is Tainio includes several organisms that fix N from the atmosphere (which you may or may not get in an ACT). They actually use N from the atmosphere and are high N microbes, like 18% maybe. They then either die making that N available or get eaten by other creatures which tend to be lower N...so they shit out the excess N which is an available for plant food option.

The fact you have a C:N ratio of 20 means this is possible. A much wider range and it just does not happen

It is a toss up I think. Let me know which you prefer

oct

I'm not keen on fertilizer face painting. Thanks for the tip.

Yep. Both A and B are for foliar. Its definitely more of a shotgun approach vs. knowing exactly what you need, but a few guys in the AEA thread used it last year and really liked it. I'm excited to try it in my indoor. First time I've ever had their products.

Cool. I'll think about what I wanna do for microbes and what'll suit me best. I have a couple workers that help out and need to consider how feasible it would be for them to do things if I was gone for a bit.

Thanks Joe.

Last edited:

oct

A friends troubled GH. He decided after doing one outdoor season, he was pro status and built two of these babies side by side. This is the veg GH thats supposed to be getting plants ready for the bloom house. I get anxiety just looking at this photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 11

oct

Colorful picture of the worm farm where I get castings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 15

orechron

Just plain cobalt sulfate and sodium molybdate. Trying to get to a minimum of 1ppm once again. Research says that Mo can go up to 5ppm but I'm not sure that canna needs that much. Its also in photomag which is one of the few AEA products I still use.

milkyjoe

Veteran
So CoSO4 is 27% Co. And Na2MoO4 is all over the map as to how much MoO4 is in it...got a source and a known amount of Mo?

Ima shoot for 2 ppm Co and 1 ppm Mo.

The special blend looks identical to nutralive, most likely they are the same. The AEA dropbox has some decent instructions on it. I'd say drench at 5-10 ml per gallon and see how they respond.

oct

The special blend looks identical to nutralive, most likely they are the same. The AEA dropbox has some decent instructions on it. I'd say drench at 5-10 ml per gallon and see how they respond.

Thanks canna. I was told it is the same. I'll try that out.

milkyjoe

Veteran
So Mo you are at 0.24 and want to be at 2. 1.76 ppm x .899 grams per ppm x 2 yards per pot = 3 grams Mo per pot. 3/.3965 = 7.5 grams sodium molybdate per pot.

Co. you are at 0.5 and want to be at 2. 1.5 x 0.899 x 2 = 2.6 grams Co/.27 = 10 grams of Cobalt Sulfate per pot.

oct

Joe I'm gonna take your route with microbes. I'm gonna look back over the thread tonight and start making a list of everything I need to order.

If you could, please clarify what products you'd suggest I get from Tainio or AEA.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do supplemental lighting this season so planting might not be all that far away! Im stoked!

Website you'd recommend I order stuff like Mo and Co? I know Michaels site has that type of stuff.

Edit: I thought soilminerals had more but I guess they don't really carry the more trace stuff.

Last edited:
Amazon is fairly reasonable for trace minerals, greenway biotech has most of them and another company has Mo, Co, and B.

I'd recommend sea shield/stim/crop, Rejuvenate, Pht Ca, p, k, micropak and hypercap. From Taino pepzyme, spectrum xtra, biogenisis, mycogenasis, micro5000, and pz1000. All those items should only run a few hundred.

Another one I like is their new product, pht bloom which is a blend of pht phos, sea stim(kelp), and Mn for bud initiation.

Latest posts

Latest posts