What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

[Landrace] Malawi, Durban (CBG), Ethiopian and Honduras

Home-Grown

Is anybody making Gumby hash?

No, but will try it.
The same procedure I use for Bubble bag, without bags.
I think all the bubble bag grades are good, so much simpler.

Just had to Google what a Turkey Baste was?
41IV7u5qy0L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Good to go. .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I had written Bubble Hash is the "only way" before editing it to [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the "go", realising the hole in my wording.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then you mention [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gumby hash,[/FONT][/FONT]
Cheers

Last edited:

Home-Grown

The combination of Terpenes and Terpenoids in fully seeded mature plants is initially high per material. Not to say people will like to smoke it.

[FONT=&quot]Initially the oil levels per material seem to be similar to un-seeded, but I would not know to claim either way.[/FONT]
Once it is removed from seed it breaks down rapidly with air and light.

The exact percentages would need to be tested in ratio to material.
Unseeded plants produce a lot of material high in Terpenes.

Last edited:

Home-Grown

As dubi has pointed out, you can polinate a lower branch.

I hand pollinated the lower branch of a Critical Mass this year.
Tapped a flower I had collected in the cut corner of envelope.

In the case of Critical Mass it was like a cabbage and set good seed!
Cutting a less vigour’s plant hard, could delay seed maturity?

Perhaps smaller cuts leaving more leaf for weaker plants?

I use wax, because we used it for other purposes.

Last edited:

SolarLogos

Is anybody making Gumby hash?
What's gumby hash? I have some gummy hash, I mean really nice like play-dough. That is sticky oil in the bag. I made bubble hash, dried it for about 5 days (in chunks, I don't break it up), then vacuum sealed it for 2 months. Very smooth and nice, the cure made all the difference. It's from the Mexican Monkeyshit I grew in the greenhouse last winter from seeds I brought home. Next time, I will wrap the hash in parchment paper before vacuum sealing the bag, that way I can put the parchment paper in the freezer and capture any resins that stick.

Peace, God bless

Home-Grown

The claimed difference of not using filter bags, seems to be that Gumby Hash System collects all the Trichomes.

The Trichomes off Haze were smaller then Skunk.
When people ask about the best filter size, I say its all good.
The idea seems good to me?

SolarLogos

The claimed difference of not using filter bags, seems to be that Gumby Hash System collects all the Trichomes.

The Trichomes off sativa were smaller then Skunk.
When people ask, I say its all good.
The idea seems good to me?
Thanks for that explanation HG. :tiphat: I just needed an excuse to post that picture of the hash:biggrin:
Peace, God bless

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
What's gumby hash? I have some gummy hash, I mean really nice like play-dough. That is sticky oil in the bag. I made bubble hash, dried it for about 5 days (in chunks, I don't break it up), then vacuum sealed it for 2 months. Very smooth and nice, the cure made all the difference. It's from the Mexican Monkeyshit I grew in the greenhouse last winter from seeds I brought home. Next time, I will wrap the hash in parchment paper before vacuum sealing the bag, that way I can put the parchment paper in the freezer and capture any resins that stick.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80780&pictureid=1961821&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
Peace, God bless

[iframe1]y6xPAPO4Bqo[/iframe1]

ikinokori

That gumby hash looks very interesting. thank you for these information, i will probably try to do it that way when i will start doing pollinated crops !

Lovely updates ikinokori :)

Love the way they are reaching mid flowering :yes:
You really manage to keep them with a very desirable structure and size without overgrowing the indoor space, which is not easy when growing such tropical sativas from seed in a small cabinet, so great job! ;)

The Honduras is indeed a beast :D Geranium aromas are common in this strain in flowering. Looks like she will yield very well.

The Ethiopians produce very little smells in the first half of flowering .... later the spicy, woody fermented lemons terpenes are more evident in the second half.
Both Ethiopian and Honduras are not very smelly strains in flowering.

The Malawi is looking great so far, although it's better to wait until second half of flowering to identify better her pheno and aromas.

The Durban looks great as well! Liquor aromas are distinctive terpenes in legit Durban strains. A very interesting release by Cannabiogen.

I also believe is beautiful to produce some seeds with the current plants you are growing. Heavily pollinated plants produce less resin, less terpenes and usually the terpene profile is degradated by the efforts of the plant to mature all the seeds which inevitably causes a degradation of overall plant health. The high from heavily seeded buds can not be compared with the effects of the same flowers unseeded, although it can give you an idea of the profile of the plant.

You can selectively pollinate the lower buds of your plants by isolating them outside the tent and doing carefully the pollinations by hand in the lower part of the plant .... the remaining upper plant will be unseeded for the most part if done properly and you will be able to experience the potential of the plant and at the same time harvest some precious seeds.

thank you very much ! i can't wait to see how they will turn out in the second half of flowering :) They are indeed beautiful ladies, and each of them are pretty unique. The malawi is very beautiful, the ethiopians are very tropical looking and full of vigor and the honduras has a very unique look, she is very fat and full of flower yet looks nothing like the typical indica... Very mesmerizing, and each one of them has a very distinct smell. this is why i like landrace so much, because they are so unique and distinct and none of them look like anything i have ever grown before, it is kind of like i spent years growing a lot of the same or similar plants, and all of the sudden i am growing completely unknown plants to my untrained eyes, such a trip ^^ just the fact that the ethiopian for example, were scrawny little things for half of the grow that werent even 1/4 of the size of the honduras turned out to be almost the biggest of them all in a matter of days without me doing anything special to them completely blows me away, that was such a twist and experience haha, its like they have a personnality and character of their own, completely unpredictable !

ikinokori

another quick update after repotting :

Plants are bow in their final pot. They are fattening up nicely. here are some pics (again, the white spots are the old serenade spray residue, no pm in sight dont worry)

Durban :
budding seems to be slowing down. pistils are already browning. She was extremely early in flowering, stopped her stretch 2 weeks before everyone else and stayed relatively short (she is the shortest of them all), so maybe she is a 10 week or something pheno since durban is supposed to finish between 10 and 14 weeks. This would mean she would be ready to harvest in a few weeks because she has 7 weeks since the switch, 5 weeks since flower apparition so i guess around a month left.

This also means i have waited too much for repotting, because even though she is now in 4 gallon pot, she does look like a 1 gallon plant and she doesnt seem to benefit as much from the repotting as the other ones. no regrets, she will have a good end of life with her brand new soil and i will be more aware and careful about the possible variation now.

She has such a strange smell, i can't wait to see what the end result will be like. The weirdest thing is that she looked nothing like an indica plant, during a whole grow, she was very stretchy, aerated with the thinnest big leaves of them all. Really challenges my mind about what is supposed to be indica and sativa.

picture.php

Honduras : She is the fattest, she is now becoming so fat she cant stand properly on her own. Her smell is becoming more and more pungent, and is now a little bit fruity on the nose... interesting for sure. She seems to like her new soil. Looks much fatter in person

picture.php

Ethiopian :

What a twist,they have the thickest base stem of them all right now (even the honduras !). They are very late, i wouldnt be surprised they would be ready with 16 weeks of flowering. they are the ones who are the most "budding" right now and smell is coming through. I can't really describe it, it is not pungent and really not what you would think of as cannabis. something very foreign , not a green smell either, and yet that totally smells like it is from a plant. Maybe it will switch during later stage of flowering, but again, yet another smell i have never smelled anywhere.

picture.php

Malawi : also budding a lot. The smell is so fruity, she smells more fruity than the blueberry i have grown last grow. Very pungent, if i accidentaly shake anything of her by trying to access the other plants, a very intense, fresh, sugary and fruity smells fills the grow room. That would make a very interesting cross with some strange tasting but yet awesome tropical sativa, at least taste wise... Some ideas and plans are coming up in my mind

picture.php

Last edited:

ikinokori

hello, just a quick heads up about where the grow is heading to.

I was looking for information and came on various posts, including one from dubi, claiming the lesser the fertilizing and consequently yieild, the better the quality (more terpene, more active component...). Seeing that made me remember someone close to me that grow plant for food saying to me that you should never aim to make big strawberries, they taste significantly worse and smaller ones are the most expensive because they are better in every regard no matter if they were fed organic or mineral. if you make them big, they were just going to be worse tasting and lesser quality.

This made me get to the decision that I will not be fertilizing with traditional fertilizer anymore, which means i will stop using my liquid fertilizer starting from now and make my own soils starting next grow. I never liked the idea of spending the rest of my life relying on x brand of fertilizer and x brand of soil to be able to grow anything and there are too much mystery around it, they never really disclose what is in them so it comes handy.

From now on the plants of this grow will only get top dressing of food. i will experiment with worm casting, insect frass and palm ash. i don't know how well they will respond to it but it is supposed to give overall ok nutrition in terms of ratio. It is probably the worst moment to start changing up everything as they are budding, but quite frankly there is already plenty of flower for my needs, so even if the budding stops now and they mature, i will be ok. I have had big yieilds previously, with almost 1.5 gram per watts in some previous grows and it is not what i am looking for anymore. i still have flowers from my previous grow and it was month ago. Heck, i still even have flowers from a grow of 4 years ago. Coincidentally, my previous grow was my smallest yieilding grow ever as i was already starting to experiment with low fertilizing, and a lot of people said to me it was one of the best cannabis i have done in a long time.

as of right now, they are ok, the lower leaves are yellowing because i have top fed a day ago and they already used most of the new soil (supposed to have 3 weeks of nutes, its been 1 week, and in my experience it does have only 1 week of ok nutrition). the top feeding taking a few days to work, i expect them to yellow a little bit more. most of them being a few weeks of being ripe, it is ok anyway. i saw someehre that roots lose their ability to take nitrogen as flowering progresses, so i guess they will keep on yellowing from now on anyway if i go the "natural soil amendment" route without any heavy fertilizer.

i must note this is not a bash to anyone using heavy / liquid fertilizer. I have had great results with most of my fertilizer. Most of the cannabis i have grown was good, and apart from one grow that just sucked (which i believe was because of the genetics because it was very healthy with aroung 1g per watt), using liquid / heavy fertilizer always have worked pretty well in the past for me. it is a efficient and practical way to grow cannabis, specially for beginner and once i learned the basics i didnt have major issues, always got good smoke in the end, with some brands that even made me have top flowers. this is a personal choice, my main goal being quality beyond everything else, this not where i want to head from now on.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
hello, just a quick heads up about where the grow is heading to.

I was looking for information and came on various posts, including one from dubi, claiming the lesser the fertilizing and consequently yieild, the better the quality (more terpene, more active component...). Seeing that made me remember someone close to me that grow plant for food saying to me that you should never aim to make big strawberries, they taste significantly worse and smaller ones are the most expensive because they are better in every regard no matter if they were fed organic or mineral. if you make them big, they were just going to be worse tasting and lesser quality.

This made me get to the decision that I will not be fertilizing with traditional fertilizer anymore, which means i will stop using my liquid fertilizer starting from now and make my own soils starting next grow. I never liked the idea of spending the rest of my life relying on x brand of fertilizer and x brand of soil to be able to grow anything and there are too much mystery around it, they never really disclose what is in them so it comes handy.

From now on the plants of this grow will only get top dressing of food. i will experiment with worm casting, insect frass and palm ash. i don't know how well they will respond to it but it is supposed to give overall ok nutrition in terms of ratio. It is probably the worst moment to start changing up everything as they are budding, but quite frankly there is already plenty of flower for my needs, so even if the budding stops now and they mature, i will be ok. I have had big yieilds previously, with almost 1.5 gram per watts in some previous grows and it is not what i am looking for anymore. i still have flowers from my previous grow and it was month ago. Heck, i still even have flowers from a grow of 4 years ago. Coincidentally, my previous grow was my smallest yieilding grow ever as i was already starting to experiment with low fertilizing, and a lot of people said to me it was one of the best cannabis i have done in a long time.

as of right now, they are ok, the lower leaves are yellowing because i have top fed a day ago and they already used most of the new soil (supposed to have 3 weeks of nutes, its been 1 week, and in my experience it does have only 1 week of ok nutrition). the top feeding taking a few days to work, i expect them to yellow a little bit more. most of them being a few weeks of being ripe, it is ok anyway. i saw someehre that roots lose their ability to take nitrogen as flowering progresses, so i guess they will keep on yellowing from now on anyway if i go the "natural soil amendment" route without any heavy fertilizer.

i must note this is not a bash to anyone using heavy / liquid fertilizer. I have had great results with most of my fertilizer. Most of the cannabis i have grown was good, and apart from one grow that just sucked (which i believe was because of the genetics because it was very healthy with aroung 1g per watt), using liquid / heavy fertilizer always have worked pretty well in the past for me. it is a efficient and practical way to grow cannabis, specially for beginner and once i learned the basics i didnt have major issues, always got good smoke in the end, with some brands that even made me have top flowers. this is a personal choice, my main goal being quality beyond everything else, this not where i want to head from now on.
I feed some, and let some go on their own. The wife and kids want clean, so they get 100% clean. Water from start to finish. Sometimes they get heavy, sometimes they don't. C'est la vie.

ikinokori

I feed some, and let some go on their own. The wife and kids want clean, so they get 100% clean. Water from start to finish. Sometimes they get heavy, sometimes they don't. C'est la vie.

Yes i understand. i think i just need a total switch from now on. Maybe i will come back to feed heavily on occasions in the future, maybe on some selected plants, but i need to take this route right now as i have never really been there. If the plants turn out to really hate the switch since i did not build the soil for that, ill probably add liquid nutes on some watering, but never as frequently as before and it will be last resort. if it happens next grows, it means i need to rethink my soil next time. Sometimes you need to go to both extremes to know what is the best for you, and i have never been there so it is probably the moment now.

the main point from all that is thatfor people passing by, or coming from google, you shouldnt use it to make an opinion of ace strains for yieild on my grow. The yieild are going to be lower than what could have been achieved, and subsequent grows will probably be even lower. UVB also reduces yieild in my experience. My grows just wont be accurate for yieild and i don't want people to get a false opinion of what those awesome genetics can offer commercially, the honduras looks like a very heavy yieilder and Ethiopian strangely has fromed buds everywhere, and not the fluffy kind (maybe they will end up fluffier, but with some heavy fertilizing, i totally see them yieilding even more than the honduras actually).

Quality is different though. i will really try to give those strain justice in terms of the quality they can offer. Malawi already smells incredible, i cant imagine how nice she can smell and how the smoke can be when even in mid flower she makes my whole room smell like a candy fruit store. ive said it already, but this blows my mind, as she smells more blueberry than my dj short blueberry, which were actually supposed to smell like berries... just amazing

Last edited:

ikinokori

quick update : top dressing seems to have started decomposing. Plants seem to love it. after a few days, top dressed plants seemed to be doing very well when it has started working. Malawi seem to enjoy being topdressed with mealworm poop and palm ash a lot more than being fed with commercial liquid fertilizer. Same for Durban. Normal soil Ethiopian reacted the best. She has completely stopped clawing on newer leaves while every feeding, even very low ec feedings, made it claw more. It does seem they do really hate N. Or maybe some kind of N that is found in commercial nutes, because apparently my mealworm poop has a lot more N than my bottled nutes. Her buds also started swelling a lot more, to the point where she is covered in budsites. I was wondering why dubi describes her as a high yieilding plant, now i see why. They are definitely not the fluffy kind with lots of leaves, those are real budsites forming.

While waiting for the topdressing to work, plants were not well. My soil (biocanna) says there is at least 3 weeks of food, but it is simply not true. Even in seedling stage, after around a week or so they show they want food while it doesnt even seem to contain enough food for flowering plants. Here, litterally a day or two after uppot, leaves started yellowing and after 1 week it accelerated considerably. That is when i should have manual fed, but i decided instead to start topdressing. Leaves kept yellowing while waiting for the topdressing to work, which took a few days.

The experiment amended soil ethiopian (the one i can afford to lost since i have 2) did not yellow at all meanwhile, but it also did not seem to be as well as the non amended ethiopian and other plants (classic soil with topdressing only). Maybe some nute lockout which surprises me (some brown spots, also it is minor and only on some leaves), exactly like solarlogos said. She did not seem to lack anything though as opposed to all the other, with very few leaves lost (maybe one or 2 in 2 weeks) which confirms the bagsoil itself does not contain enough nute even for a few days and need additional food. She also considerably increased her stem size, to the point she has the biggest stem of them all, while before it was weaker and thinner than the other ethiopian (both ethiopian had bigger stems than all the other plants)

I think if topdressing works well enough for the rest of the grow, i will probably focus on giving them the most stable and well thought soil i can while making it light, and adressing nutrients mainly with topdressing (and maybe teas ?). People are doing extremely great with amended soil so the issue must be something like the PH or the composition of the soil mix i did. Or maybe it was just a transplant shock ? I don't know how true this is, but i have read a while ago that transplant shock is rarely about the transplant action itself but more about drastic change in soil composition and here it wasnt just different nutrients, but also aeration, ph and draining, the soil is completely different. Maybe she just wasnt used to different soil, she did seem to have gotten stressed by the transplantation (a lot of brown pistils overnight, stunted for a few days) which was new to me as it never happenned to me before in transplantation, and i always transplant in flower. The other ones also did not get any sign of stress during transplant, they actually looked a lot better right after and all had growth spurt suddenly, so it definitely seems possible. She is ok though and still does well, health is ok so i will try again on some plants. Now she has resumed ok and lots of new white pistil so i guess she just needed to get used to it, but we will see.

Overall, it is maybe too soon for conclusion, but i am very happy so far. Will keep an eye if the good is only temporary and issues arise afterwards.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Yes i understand. i think i just need a total switch from now on. Maybe i will come back to feed heavily on occasions in the future, maybe on some selected plants, but i need to take this route right now as i have never really been there. If the plants turn out to really hate the switch since i did not build the soil for that, ill probably add liquid nutes on some watering, but never as frequently as before and it will be last resort. if it happens next grows, it means i need to rethink my soil next time. Sometimes you need to go to both extremes to know what is the best for you, and i have never been there so it is probably the moment now.

There are some plants I mainline feed. I just can't burn them. The more i feed the more they grow. That stuff gets bagged and sold.

ikinokori

There are some plants I mainline feed. I just can't burn them. The more i feed the more they grow. That stuff gets bagged and sold.

I totally understand, if i look at my past grows, the more "commercial" and worked a strain is, the more she reacts well and actually needs an typical indoor environment. I have had plants just like you that seemed to always want more food, and did not even work well with light organic nutrients. They were also often big yieilder hybrids. I remember my medecine man fron mr nice always wanting more food and never getting burned, even with almost maximum and constant feedings while here, my durban got burned instantly after 1 feeding of even lower than minimal strength. My guess is that "wild" landrace does not work well with commercial fertilizing, while indoor hybrids (or even "pure" strains) are a lot more adapted to it, some even requiring it. Plants adapting themselves a lot to their environment as generation passes, i wouldnt be surprised that it is because they have spent decades being fed with commercial fertilizer, with stable light schedules, stable temperature and artificial lightning. I also wouldnt be surprised that some landrace that are man cultivated since centuries may show some similar liking to heavier fertilizing.

This is maybe just be a simplification of reality and a general rule though. I remember one of my grows, she was a hybrid (mango haze) and liked moderate to heavy feedings, grew like a normal hybrid at first but turned totally wild and was clearly not that well adapted to my indoor box, stretching so much it touched my lamp and requiring so much weeks of flowering i decided to chop her off too early because i was a beginner and thought it was waiting too much since people were telling me i already should have chopped (the 14+ kind, trichome were not even amber). Also made me one of the best smoke effect wise for a while, clear clear clear... impossible to sleep afterwards

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts