What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

[Landrace] Malawi, Durban (CBG), Ethiopian and Honduras

deepwaterdude

Hey, man, seeing your tent after describing the Honduras, that's not so bad at all! I was afraid there wouldn't be any tent visible between the leaves. That's when you're in trouble;)

These tall girls, you could easily bend them sideways and fill out the horizontal space, get a more even canopy and light to the lower branches. Otherwise, no worries! Looking good!

ikinokori

Hey, man, seeing your tent after describing the Honduras, that's not so bad at all! I was afraid there wouldn't be any tent visible between the leaves. That's when you're in trouble;)

These tall girls, you could easily bend them sideways and fill out the horizontal space, get a more even canopy and light to the lower branches. Otherwise, no worries! Looking good!

thank you ! i will try to see if i can do something. i definitely should have lst them, but i never did it yet. also i wanted to leave them untouched as much as possible to know how cannabis plants act naturally. It was maybe not the best idea but i think it may be a little too late as now, the stems are too strong and stiff, if i try to bend too much them they break, very little room for flexibility anymore.

Its ok anyway, it is not that bad regarding light, seems they still get a lot of it, worse thing that could happen is the yieild will be low which is totally ok for me as i am not a big smoker at all. Plus this grow was really a sativa test because the "real" run i was intending was : Jamaican, Colombian Punto Rojo, Zamal and Kerala, which apparently are just hardcore sativa haha ^^

On a positive note, lower leaves seems to get a lot of light compared to my previous grow even with the high setting of my lamps (2 cmh) Seems the airy nature of the plants leaves a lot of light go through, they get much more light than in my previous run, where i grew shorter and much fatter blueberry bushes wiyh the lamp lower and the bottom buds were really shaded. I think i will try to bend the light too during flowering so they get it from the top and sides, maybe itll help

ikinokori

durban top apex with its thin leaves (do not mind the white spots, its the Serenade spray residue, i am not supposed to wipe them as this may harm the bacteria of the serenade and prevent it from colonizing the plants)

picture.php

Last edited:

ikinokori

Hello, i will do an update soon, basically they want to be uppoted all of them i think and stretch like crazy but they wi have to suffer for a little bit because they would turn incontrollable if i do it.

I just wanted right now opinions. The serenade spots are slowly going away, but it looks very chalky when it does and there are still a lot of it. It looks clearly like a residue but it is not pretty. I know i have to not wash it, but i was wondering if that was normal that it wasnt going away. While looking for answers i found what is happening, and even though it is safe and totally normal, unfortunately, it seems contrary to what i have read that it may never go away unless i clean it myself.

Basically, my doubts are confirmed, it is not the normal Serenade but the "Serenade Opti", which seems to be more "natural" than the normal version which was naybe made to comply with our much stricter organic rules. The pamphlet i found is a "Crop guide for grapes" but this applies for all crops. In it, i quote, it is said :

"contains a natural carrier that can leave a white/off white residue on grapes. Whilst this is not of significance for wine grapes, for presentation reasons it may not be suitable for use on table grapes beyond the flowering stage".

link of the pamphlet : https://www.crop.bayer.com.au/-/med...nade-opti/serenade_opti_crop_guide_grapes.pdf

I am wondering if i should keep spraying then, because they seem to imply if i spray on flowering plants, the marks may never leave and still be on the final product. I do not know if the spray is worth it, because i don't want my end product to be covered in white spots that looks a lot like powdery mildew. But then i dont want to get budrot, which i already had once and traumatized me.

So for people who may have tried it, do you think the serenade is worth it ? I am torn, because the product seems really beneficial and have no side effects while being fully natural, and i kind of feel shallow to want to avoid it only for esthetic reasons if it is really as good as i have been told.

Last edited:

ikinokori

So, update on the girls at flo+14

They are all growing well. Pistils are shooting everyday, buds are forming. Very pretty. Everyday they seem to differ more and more from themselves, to the point that you could mix all the tags and i could 100% identify each of them without a doubt. Also, i was completely wrong, all of them are stretching and the ethiopian is now also starting to scare me. They all seem to want to be uppotted, as they are in tiny 1 gallon pots since like last month probably, and they are all the biggest plants i have ever had in those small pots.

2 ethiopian on the left, Malawi in the middle, Honduras on top right and Dubran on bottom right :

picture.php

There was a terrible heatwave unfortunately. Temperature can atteign 85 degrees at night where i live with the lights off, so my grow room is currently around 95°f with lights on, which is a lot. Thankfully they seem to handle it very well, there is almost no cupping of the upper leaves like during heat stress. it seems either they handle it really well, or the silica supplementation helped them. My guess is that it is probably both reasons, but i really saw a difference when i started it a while ago.

The thing that saddens me about this situation is that i saw high heat makes plants stretch a lot more, so in that regard maybe that is making the situation more complicated.

By the way, the temperature is not normal, i live in a temperate to cold climate and we are getting extreme temperature recently. I saw we are not alone, and it seems even worse in hot countries, specially india where it causes a national health issue. My energy is fully renewable but i can't help myself from feeling guilty of using that much energy and contribute to what is happening right now.

that is also why I have switched to tap water with a very specific filter from japan, which only filters nearly all chlorine, bacteria, viruses and unwanted by products while adding no salt and leaving the minerals. My water is not good usually and i always watered with bottled water, but i can not do this anymore when i see what we are doing with plastic. I was scared but it has been a good 2 weeks and the plants don't seem to mind, i virtually see no difference from when i was using bottled water, before i had had a lot of issues with my normal tap water.

The only thing though, is that the bottom leaves are dying. It is ok, i always had that actually, but i never know where it comes from. It is very similar everytime : browning of the tips that extends to the whole leaf like a waves, and it only happens from bottom to top, more specifically on the lowest big pair of leaves. I don't think it is a nute burn, because it doesnt look like one, only affect specific leaves and it also happenned both on the malawi/honduras with low to moderate feedings and also on my ethiopian and durban which were not fed at all for almost 2 weeks an only got very low feedings before. I even have flushed one and it just seemed to make it worse.

Malawi :

picture.php

Honduras :

picture.php

Ethiopian :

picture.php

What may be happening ? Ph is ok and the plant overall look fine and grows very well, and the only thing i may think of is underfeeding, maybe a k and p deficiency although i am really not sure...

Last edited:

ikinokori

Malawi :

Nothing much to say, pretty vigorous, very bushy compared to the others but still likes to elongate too. Interesting smell is starting to come from it. The stretch does not seem to be over yet contrary to what i thought

(in the middle)
picture.php

Flowering wise they are behind the Honduras and durban.

picture.php

Last edited:

ikinokori

Durban :

She is the least hungry. The bottom leaves are yellowing without any necrosis, which seems to imply the only thing that lacks is N. Very airy, very lanky, The leaves are so thin, my most "sativa-esque" looking strain.

picture.php

She is the most advanced in flowering. She has little pom pom as apex, kinda looks like a moogle pompom ^^

picture.php

Last edited:

ikinokori

Ethiopian :

they have fully woken up. Stretch is a lot nowm They seem to grow in spurts. I had to pinch one to stop her from stretching, something i thought i would never have to do on them. On another notes, i have seen the grows and almost all of them featured the clawing and curving of the oldest leaves. I have watched a very recent one on here and the bottom leaves were exactly like mine. If that is how she naturally is, then so be it. It would be very interesting to know why though, she also has red sap so maybe ethiopian strains are just special.

picture.php

picture.php

The flowering is the least advanced, which is interesting as the male ethiopian flowered almost as soon as i have switched. I have a feeling they will be the last to ripen. I really like them.

picture.php

picture.php
(again, the white residue is the Serenade)

ikinokori

Honduras :

Wow she is scary. A monster. She goes up to my chin almost. Everyday she grows taller, wether i bend it, break her apex in half or whatever. She just doesnt care.

picture.php

Flowering seems just a little behind the durban, buds are appearing and plumping everyday. The leaves are thinning but noticeably wider. Smell is not strong yet.

picture.php

Last edited:

ikinokori

I wanted to ask a question.

I intend on repotting next week. i was wondering about the size, i can choose from 2 gallon to 4 gallon. Will there be an advantage from going to 1 gallon to 4 or will this be wasted or even detrimental ?

i have a lot of soil available so how much soil is not an issue and i know the bigger the pot, the better generally, but since they would have stopped growing, i don't know if there will be any advantage of going to 4 gallons instead of 3 or 2 since stretch would have stopped ?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The bigger the pot, the bigger the weed. Keep in mind that you'll probably have to stake or support the plant.

Bonus points for feeding it.

If it has started to stretch, let it be. Ive seen friends plants they said were stretching and they were still in veg. Are they starting to flower?Are they auto or photo?

ikinokori

They are all photos and they are all in flower. There are close up pics of their flowers in the previous page if you want to check out.

They have been stretching for a while, i think the durban has stopped but all the others are still stretching, and it is pretty scary. They seem to play a game of whos gonna be the tallest, malawi was the second highest and seemed to have slow down, but since ethiopian has woken up, the malawi has resume its stretch and now they are both surpassing each other each day.

The honduras just doesn't stop, and i feel i may have to put my light all the way up if she decides to keep stretching.

Last edited:

ikinokori

Hello,

here is a first report of my oil with some males. They were open with flower, and when it is like that, the oil i make generally gives me a good preview of what can be the effect, even if it is not exactly the same and may not fit preciaely the end smokeable product effect, specially since the terpenes are not exactly the same and that i may have mixed two different phenos.

Honduras :

It was very bipolarish. It was pretty social, i wanted to chat and talk, but then it was also introspective and borderline anxiety prone. Maybe it is because i have mixed both males i do not know. It definitely threw me on the edge of anxiety at one point, but it was manageable. There was some dizziness, body was not "dumbed" at all meaning i was up and running but it was still envelopping my body. The best i could describe it is that my senses were definitely affected and the real world was "dizzy", but my mind was pretty clear and i was very much in control of myself. The high was very strong but this doesnt mean anything because with oil, it is only dose dependant so maybe i took too much of it.

To be more precise, the high came all of the sudden and very strangely. Kinda like "hello welcome to the other world, attach your seatbelt". It was not "specially" trippy, but it can definitely be i feel, like with very high dosage, even if it may never be the main effect.

Maybe what happenned is that considering how suddenly it came and how strong the effect was, i fell into panic mode because the strain has a anxiety side to it. After that it was all good.. past the anxiety crisis, it felt good and nice and i had no anxiety again. I was good doing nothing. The energy part was weird. I mean it is strange, there was a part of me that wanted to chat and do stuff, but another part that was a lot more introspective and wanted to lay down and think, go into music listening and explore my mind. It felt good. It was kind of like i was "forming" my bubble, but i could interact very easily with the outside while being in my bubble of thoughts, vision and sense. like i was travelling into my thoughts and brain, but then if i felt like it, i could peek outside my bubble, chat, order some food, have a big laugh with my friends and be all giggles and stay like that as long as i want, to then return into my bubble when i was alone . I don't feel very often chatty and desinhibited with weed like i did with the honduran. It was a very unique high that really changes from most of the "down" and passive, body hammering and mind numbing weed that is prevalent today, at least where i live. Not saying it is bad, but it is just that i cant find anything else here, all the time ,and the honduras was very different.

In other words, it was pretty interesting. Maybe i failed by mixing both plants, i really felt a bipolarish side of the effects. I do not like the idea of having an introspection side of it due to the paranoia onset that goes with it so it scares me, but to be honest it was definitely the most interesting part and it really challenged my mind of stopping to fall into anxiety crisis, so it may be a very great tool to train and resist again anxiety, because with anxiety strains, you get generally confusion, and this was very "bodily" confusion so i felt really equipped at fighting it.

It was also the best tasting oil i have ever done. Very mayonnaise-ish, cannabis infused in olive oil dont taste really good (malawi oil taste bad) but this time it taste even better than the original olive oil. Lovely with a salty meal, i feel chefs, specially plant based/ vegan ones can really make something unique out of this taste because it has a very "animal product" taste like mayonnaise.

Malawi :

Smelled a lot like normal cannabis (the "weed" smell), not stealth at all when cooking.

I did not try it myself so this is a report from a friend and i will have to update this.

it was extremely strong. Very happy. Very disorientating. Feel good heaviness in the body "like relaxing after a long day of working" that was very pleasant apparently. A little bit racy in the thoughts, very hard to keep track of reality yet very easy to get lost in a movie. Very different to everything he took up until now he told me, very new and unique. he was all excited. Also no anxiety according to him. May depend on people, because due to personnal issues, i can find any anxiety that is creeping in the dark haha

taste was not very pleasant. Does not mix well in dishes.

Ethiopian :

Very calm high. Relaxing and positive. No anxiety. No body feeling. Potency was low so i need to do another test with higher dosage to get real effects.

Taste was mild and not that noticeable, albeit not great either. Whitch is strange because the smell was very good when cutting.

The durban was not tried yet. Taste is very good, which is strange as in cutting, the plant smelled like fields with poop fertilizer. Like the feces of cow manure for fertilizing the plants. very strange and the first time i ever smelled that. and it was not pleasant at all.

Last edited:

ikinokori

Hello, quick update at flo +37 (5 weeks).

i will try to take pictures but it is hard because it is very crowded and my lights make it look very confusing.

They are all budding. Stretch seems over for all of them, although the ethiopian were still growing a while ago. They were doing well, but clearly their pot were way too small, the honduras was so big with such a tiny pot that it was almost like i could never feed her enough and yet burn her easily. I have repotted them in 4 gallon pots, i really do hope the stretch is over for the ethiopian, because they are already very big, althought it has been 5 weeks since her flowers appeared.

Honduras :

She is very tall and wide. I thought the stretch would never end. Thick strong stems, stands 100% on it and buds very nicely, they pretty big, but with a lot of "air" in them, it is interesting to see. i have a feeling she will be the biggest yeilder. Would have been a total disaster if she was in big pot during stretch.

Ethiopian :

They are now very tall, they surpassed everyone, and both of them are right behind the Honduras in terms of size. They take the most space horizontally, it is interesting to see how they went from being, during their whole veg and early flower, the smallest plants (honduras were 4x taller) to almost the tallest of them all. very thin leaves. Stems are still thin and malleable, they are very slender. They are much slower to bud, looks almost like they just started but they didnt, pistil are just much slower to proliferate. Still have the weird claw, although they seem to grow nicely. I think it is possible they dispise nitrogen. That is why i tried something, one will be in a amendment only soil, with worm casting and insect frass as sole npk food and algae, azomite, zeolithe, bacteria... It will be an experiment, i dont like using liquid fertilizer and i never tried "amendment only". i can afford to lose her since i have two ethiopian so i am curious to see how she will turn out.

Malawi :

She is pretty big, buds nicely. right behind the honduras in terms of flowering. She was not liking her small pot at all, since repotting she is much better. Has a very "fruity" smell, or maybe acid smell, kind of like berries, which suprised me.

Durban :

She is the smallest and the most advanced of them all flowering wise. Fattens nicely. Seems to lack nitogen, i have maybe failed during the stretch as she does lose some small leaves there and there. Does not stand properly on its own, i have to attach her or she will collapse. She also have made 5 seeds already, with one that was falling from the calyxe. As to which male pollinated her i do not know, this is a mystery. i will keep that as a durban x mystery cross to run one day for fun.

SolarLogos

Hello, quick update at flo +37 (5 weeks).

i will try to take pictures but it is hard because it is very crowded and my lights make it look very confusing.

They are all budding. Stretch seems over for all of them, although the ethiopian were still growing a while ago. They were doing well, but clearly their pot were way too small, the honduras was so big with such a tiny pot that it was almost like i could never feed her enough and yet burn her easily. I have repotted them in 4 gallon pots, i really do hope the stretch is over for the ethiopian, because they are already very big, althought it has been 5 weeks since her flowers appeared.

Honduras :

She is very tall and wide. I thought the stretch would never end. Thick strong stems, stands 100% on it and buds very nicely, they pretty big, but with a lot of "air" in them, it is interesting to see. i have a feeling she will be the biggest yeilder. Would have been a total disaster if she was in big pot during stretch.

Ethiopian :

They are now very tall, they surpassed everyone, and both of them are right behind the Honduras in terms of size. They take the most space horizontally, it is interesting to see how they went from being, during their whole veg and early flower, the smallest plants (honduras were 4x taller) to almost the tallest of them all. very thin leaves. Stems are still thin and malleable, they are very slender. They are much slower to bud, looks almost like they just started but they didnt, pistil are just much slower to proliferate. Still have the weird claw, although they seem to grow nicely. I think it is possible they dispise nitrogen. That is why i tried something, one will be in a amendment only soil, with worm casting and insect frass as sole npk food and algae, azomite, zeolithe, bacteria... It will be an experiment, i dont like using liquid fertilizer and i never tried "amendment only". i can afford to lose her since i have two ethiopian so i am curious to see how she will turn out.

Malawi :

She is pretty big, buds nicely. right behind the honduras in terms of flowering. She was not liking her small pot at all, since repotting she is much better. Has a very "fruity" smell, or maybe acid smell, kind of like berries, which suprised me.

Durban :

She is the smallest and the most advanced of them all flowering wise. Fattens nicely. Seems to lack nitogen, i have maybe failed during the stretch as she does lose some small leaves there and there. Does not stand properly on its own, i have to attach her or she will collapse. She also have made 5 seeds already, with one that was falling from the calyxe. As to which male pollinated her i do not know, this is a mystery. i will keep that as a durban x mystery cross to run one day for fun.
Great post my friend. According to Dubi, the fruity pheno Malawi has the shorter flowering and more compact structure than the more oil smelling phenos.

Did you say you're going to amend the soil for the Ethiopian when you transplant? Just be sure to pH the soil when you do. I did not do that one time and had pH fluctuation/ brown spots on the leaves for about a month before the plants finally adjusted. It slowed their growth a lot as well. I don't make that mistake again:biggrin:

Great description, can't wait to see pictures now!
Thanks for posting my friend.
Peace, God bless

ikinokori

Great post my friend. According to Dubi, the fruity pheno Malawi has the shorter flowering and more compact structure than the more oil smelling phenos.

Did you say you're going to amend the soil for the Ethiopian when you transplant? Just be sure to pH the soil when you do. I did not do that one time and had pH fluctuation/ brown spots on the leaves for about a month before the plants finally adjusted. It slowed their growth a lot as well. I don't make that mistake again:biggrin:

Great description, can't wait to see pictures now!
Thanks for posting my friend.
Peace, God bless

unfortunately, i did make that mistake as i did it yesterday... thank you very much for that hint, i will take this in count if there are issues with her, and if it ends up being a success, i will reiterate but check the ph before transplanting. Maybe this wont be a big issue because the soil i used had ph of 5.8 initially and i mainly used alkalinizing elements... we will see.

and yes for the malawi i think you are spot on. It was the shorter and "less vigorous" of the bunch if i remember correctly. Do you know how her effect differ ? i could not manage to find much info on this pheno, actually i tried to look for the original dubi thread of malawi but did not find it

SolarLogos

unfortunately, i did make that mistake as i did it yesterday... thank you very much for that hint, i will take this in count if there are issues with her, and if it ends up being a success, i will reiterate but check the ph before transplanting. Maybe this wont be a big issue because the soil i used had ph of 5.8 initially and i mainly used alkalinizing elements... we will see.

and yes for the malawi i think you are spot on. It was the shorter and "less vigorous" of the bunch if i remember correctly. Do you know how her effect differ ? i could not manage to find much info on this pheno, actually i tried to look for the original dubi thread of malawi but did not find it
Sorry, but my fruity pheno was a male, but it was very dominant in ourcrossing, both his fruity terpenes as well as potency, bud/branching structure. A lot of purple striping in the main stalk and purple petioles. Does your have any color? According to Ace's website it sounds like:
Purple Malawi (P2): This is the mother of our Violeta hybrid. It's a colorful rare pheno found in the first Malawi feminized release. It's more compact than the green Malawis, but still displaying an excellent branching, and accepts the Nitrogen better. It's an interesting pheno due to its shorter flowering time of 10-11 weeks, for having a unique balsamic/fruity terpene profile, for showing a better resistance against cold and mildew, and of course for its intense purple and reddish colors at maturation. It's not so strong like the best killer green Malawi parental plants, but without any doubt the effect is also very interesting, kinder and not so agressive. This is the line where you can look for the more colorful Malawis, with shorter flowering times and better adaptability to colder climates.

Hope that helps.

Peace, God bless