Lady Gaga: "I Smoke a Lot of Pot"

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
again agree with most of it..

...Talented people can take a learned skill to another extraordinarily level that is awe inspiring to others that are skilled. ...
and these are the people that succeed consistently in the music biz - also there are also many talented people who dont get picked up or noticed.
despite all the marketing etc, major labels still pick talented people to work with - why wouldnt they? plenty of them around.

VG

WasntMe

again agree with most of it..

and these are the people that succeed consistently in the music biz - also there are also many talented people who dont get picked up or noticed.
despite all the marketing etc, major labels still pick talented people to work with - why wouldnt they? plenty of them around.

VG

again... sometimes talented people just don't fit the particular formula the label is trying to fill out. This is exactly why talented people get left to the side all the time. $$$.
Formulas make $$$ in the majority of the industry. Talent does NOT automatically make money. And because the driving force in the industry is money these days this is what happens. Execs, mostly care about the quickest path to the most money.

Ever catch those TV shows like O-town or making the band? They are a direct representation of execs publicly filling out predetermined formulas for acts and then trying to teach them to be stars. No talent was ever involved with the picks. They even bragged in the pilot episodes of both that they could make successful stars out of random nobodies if they followed their formulas.

Obviously there are exceptions to all scenarios in this world.

Sometimes you get the right person in the right place seen by the right scout/exec and that is when we as audience/consumer can see something magical happen ... but that is far and few between these days.

There is a reason, I believe at least, why more then half of the people listed on the Forbes highest paid musicians list of 2010 have been around since the 80's or earlier .... back then Talent did have more of an influence on whether or not you would make it then it does today.

These days "it's all about the benjamins, baby"

As far as Gaga and her "career" goes... she has only been "out" as a recording artist for about 3 years with 2 albums... not what I would even consider in the same ballpark of a lasting successful career yet.

To put a lighter spin, (not a direct comparison of talents so no need for bunched up panties from any of you closet monsters ;) ) even Vanilla Ice, as referenced earlier, in this thread has what I would call a career. Over 21 years and working on his 7th album. U2 is 32 years with 12 albums, I believe. Beyonce is somewhere around 23 yrs with 10 albums.

( i maybe off with a few of those number if someone cares to look up the exacts, but I believe they should be close if not correct)
--got to run, catch up with this later.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
indeed i can see why a singer songwriter like gaga wouldnt fit into the model you describe.

the record company guys like to think they can produce hits and stars out of thin air but the reason why the bands on these reality shows get hits is because the of the very exposure they get by being on TV for a number of weeks, and besides if the a&r and PR guys were right then there would be no flops - and we both know that these manufactured bands dont always hit.
im in UK, we have the x factor which is a talent type show where the winner gets a record deal. both of the performers in the last two were talented singers without a doubt.

as for 'career' a successful second album is further down a career path than many will go.

cheers

VG

VG, I think you maybe missing my point.

regardless if she has talent or not (as being argued by some in this thread) ... the examples of $$$ and sales DO NOT equal talent. They are separate entities. Personal $$$ and record sale numbers = quality marketing, and PR... nothing more. So these should not be preached or used as arguments of whether she has talent or not. These are irrelevant to the subject of talent.

my personal beliefs concerning her musical "talents" don't change that.
:blowbubbles:

Also, how can you even type "NKOTB" without recognizing the supreme $$ making joke of the boy band formula ... let's see if I remember it...
(they should have 4.14 members, the mean age should be 19, approximately one will be married, one rumoured to be gay, one pin-up material and 1.14 boy-next-door)
... sound familiar?

this thread is truly hysterical.

you are wrong wrong wrong....then you are wrong somemore.If your point was true we would still be listing to Vanilla Ice.and Bush both prime examples of how your formula is useless without real talent.once the consumer is sick of the bells and whistles then it's the talent that holds it together.I can also think of somemore bands that got the luxurary of "the formula" but didnt have the talent enough to pull it off like enuff z nuff. your point also suggests that we are stupid,robotic, sheep being led to the slaughter (another failed band who got the luxurary of your formula). And I'm quite tired of it now.Just cause you are jellous of Gaga and want to demine any and everyone cause you arent getting enough attention yourself.Is no reason to carry on this stance of yours its ridiculous man,marketing is useless with out talent.but talent finds ways to market it self espically in Gaga's case who paid out of pocket to some homo fasion desingers for some of her get up's cause the record company would not support her....just some more tidbits for ya.Or is that all part of the "formula" as well? your arguement is tired now put it to bed We have all heard you loud and clear ( really your not that hard to follow sorry).And it apears your fighting this one alone is that also part of your formula for success?

Also I think the "closet monsters" are the people like you who fight so hard with out a valid arguement.The people who support Lady Gaga have all shown their support.Wow you just think your soo clever dont'cha.

WasntMe

you are wrong wrong wrong....then you are wrong somemore.If your point was true we would still be listing to Vanilla Ice.and Bush both prime examples of how your formula is useless without real talent.once the consumer is sick of the bells and whistles then it's the talent that holds it together.I can also think of somemore bands that got the luxurary of "the formula" but didnt have the talent enough to pull it off like enuff z nuff. your point also suggests that we are stupid,robotic, sheep being led to the slaughter (another failed band who got the luxurary of your formula). And I'm quite tired of it now.Just cause you are jellous of Gaga and want to demine any and everyone cause you arent getting enough attention yourself.Is no reason to carry on this stance of yours its ridiculous man,marketing is useless with out talent.but talent finds ways to market it self espically in Gaga's case who paid out of pocket to some homo fasion desingers for some of her get up's cause the record company would not support her....just some more tidbits for ya.Or is that all part of the "formula" as well? your arguement is tired now put it to bed We have all heard you loud and clear ( really your not that hard to follow sorry).And it apears your fighting this one alone is that also part of your formula for success?

Also I think the "closet monsters" are the people like you who fight so hard with out a valid arguement.The people who support Lady Gaga have all shown their support.Wow you just think your soo clever dont'cha.

:laughing:
You can rant on playa!
:wave:
Since you want to continue the Rob Van Winkle convo, Vanilla Ice is still making records an people still buy them... and if you watch any of his post mainstream interviews he even candidly talks about the record execs shoving him into their preconceived "artist model" of the time ... his youthful ignorance at playing the role of their (not mine) formula .. and his eventual disenchantment of the industry do to it. You can even watch interviews of Kid Rock talking about execs that wanted to dress Kid up like a Vanilla clone due to the same formula/mold. Fact. go look it up youtube should help you fairly quickly.

I would be interested to hear your perspective of how the industry really works since I am apparently so wrong.
:D
I don't know what actual direct involvement in the industry, if any, you have ever had or how much is just blog reading ... I do know between VG and I there is a couple of decades of experience but just from different perspectives across the pond. I also know I could, from personal experience tell you what color Troy Carter's couch is and what food Herbert is allergic to. But if you have any personal experience or direct knowledge I'm sure we would all love to read/hear about it.

We all see things from different perspective so please do explain yours even if it is just blog knowledge... but don't just dismiss my experiences with the industry as false or "wrong wrong wrong" and the regurgitate PR releases without add your own original perspective.

Who knows, maybe you are a cousin to Gaga ... that would at least explain why you seem to be taking this GAGA conversation so overly personal.

p.s. "Little Monster" are what she calls her koolaid fans, as I'm sure you a quite well aware of.
got a present for you .... http://www.gagas-monsters.com/

p.p.s. And yes, Consumerism culture and Marketing firms have long ago learned that most humans, in general, are easily programmed by the repetitive messages they experience in their environment. If you want to say "sheep" that is your words not mine.
enjoy your day
:tiphat:
-WasntMe

WasntMe

as far as the original topic of this thread... gaga and her pot use mentioned in an interview....

cool, whatever, much like a fart it passes in the wind ....
I can certainly think of many people I would rather have as a spoke person for our culture before her.

I dont feel the need to justify myself to you. I have over 25 years experience in the music bussiness as a preformer and a songwriter I have been on tour, had coffee with executives recorded demo after demo. I have real talent ( just look at my albums).Anything I say I stand behind,Im not some punkass kid blogger gettin my jollies.
And I certainly dont need to prove myself to you with your thin argument.I also know what Gaga calls her fans. And Im calling you a closet monster because you like her and sing along but your afraid to let anyone know cause then it will jeprodize your apearence as a manly man.your a ego driven blogger.Vanilla Ice sells nothing and resides in the where are they now file with all the other failed formula marketing projects that didnt have enough talent to stand on its own.The very fact that there are 25 pages of debate on a forum that is completly non related to the music bizz, is a testament to her talent.What about the part where you imply that everyone alive is incabable of independant free thought ? and we are being subconsiously force fed our every thought from marketing experts....who the fuck tought them ? You starting to see the holes yet its looking like swiss cheese to meGaga dont matter to me I dont like her sound or the way she portrays herself. but has more talent in her bowel movements than you do in your whole exsistence.What matters to me is that you are putting down speculative opnion and trying to pass it off as fact.And fighting mighty hard to do so. my speculative opnion on that is your trying to use subterfuse to distract from that which your trying to hide. come on out little monster its dark in that closet.

:laughing:
culture and Marketing firms have long ago learned that most humans, in general, are easily programmed by the repetitive messages they experience in their environment. If you want to say "sheep" that is your words not mine.
enjoy your day
:tiphat:
-WasntMe

which firms excatly where did you get this info?

And I never said there was not a formula there you go trying your fast talk on me again.there is most deffinatly a formula.your wrong about it being the reason for Gaga's outrageousness and her sales.Thats her talent. case and point her 1st video Lets Dance or something was a no budget put together, filmed in a apartment.The song went to number 1 cause of her great vocals and catchy rythems that she wrote herself.(thats the "talent" ) Then the record company jumped on board and gave her a big budget production for poker face ( also went to number 1...And now they stand behind her on everything even her outrageous freaky ness because her talent and their formula is making them both millions and millions of dollars. which in case you hav'nt noticed is what really makes the world go round. but not mine, I guess "the firm's" subliminal mind bending techniques did'nt work on me.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
as far as the original topic of this thread... gaga and her pot use mentioned in an interview....

cool, whatever, much like a fart it passes in the wind ....
I can certainly think of many people I would rather have as a spoke person for our culture before her.

:comfort: Lol

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
I dont feel the need to justify myself to you. I have over 25 years experience in the music bussiness as a preformer and a songwriter I have been on tour, had coffee with executives recorded demo after demo. I have real talent ( just look at my albums).Anything I say I stand behind,Im not some punkass kid blogger gettin my jollies.
And I certainly dont need to prove myself to you with your thin argument.I also know what Gaga calls her fans. And Im calling you a closet monster because you like her and sing along but your afraid to let anyone know cause then it will jeprodize your apearence as a manly man.your a ego driven blogger.Vanilla Ice sells nothing and resides in the where are they now file with all the other failed formula marketing projects that didnt have enough talent to stand on its own.The very fact that there are 25 pages of debate on a forum that is completly non related to the music bizz, is a testament to her talent.What about the part where you imply that everyone alive is incabable of independant free thought ? and we are being subconsiously force fed our every thought from marketing experts....who the fuck tought them ? You starting to see the holes yet its looking like swiss cheese to meGaga dont matter to me I dont like her sound or the way she portrays herself. but has more talent in her bowel movements than you do in your whole exsistence.What matters to me is that you are putting down speculative opnion and trying to pass it off as fact.And fighting mighty hard to do so. my speculative opnion on that is your trying to use subterfuse to distract from that which your trying to hide. come on out little monster its dark in that closet.

you really believe people will still be buying the freakshow in 20 years?
you think he will have some lasting impact on music?
blip on the canned prefab popstar radar...

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
"Lady Gaga is the single most exciting music talent on the scene today," said HBO president Sue Naegle in a statement announcing the deal. "We're especially thrilled that she'll be creating unique new elements for the special that will make the show an even more memorable experience for our viewers."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1658005/lady-gaga-hbo-special.jhtml

My guess is that there will be a show shot with a "3D Gaga"
& 3D glasses :biglaugh:

( guys sure like to argue alot , she's really a sign of the times & prolly more to it than just a "formula" but argue on ....still think this Christopher Walken reading of "Poker (in the) Face" on the BBC is a total scream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJDx3H_hvI8&feature=relmfu)

Cher's a freak and she's been around since the '60s... wear's some pretty crazy outfits too.

exactly , thats show biz . Lady Gaga will probably wind up being this generation's Bett Midler who has a show aired on HBO that's gaudi & over the top ...couldn't believe she's still pulling it off

Bett Midler HBO spermcial...(ooh la la, not)
Bette-Midler-HBO-concert.jpg

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I have to admit, LG's pretty freaky looking. I watched her on some show explaining the egg at the Grammy's. Gaga appeared to look strait through the host as if she's communicating with spirit instead of body, lol. But her explanation was pretty cool. Something about the human race being born again, free of racial difference. I can handle that.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yeah getting little girls to sing "fuck fuck fuck, fuck fuck her face" without realising it is really cool ! and talented!

rock on :headbange

Latest posts

Latest posts