What's new

Lacto Bacilli: process and discussion

War horse

Now i have my serum ready, i have 1 litre of serum in the fridge.

If i was going to use it all today then what sould i do ?

Sould i take 1 liter of my serum and blend that with 20 liters of water,

Now i have 21 liters of this stuff.

and then i use that... 2-4 tablespoons for every gallon of water to put on my plants ?

so that 1 liter of pure serum that i got now can i use in total of around 900 liters ??

Rory Borealis

Veteran
Now i have my serum ready, i have 1 litre of serum in the fridge.

If i was going to use it all today then what sould i do ?

Sould i take 1 liter of my serum and blend that with 20 liters of water,

Now i have 21 liters of this stuff.

and then i use that... 2-4 tablespoons for every gallon of water to put on my plants ?

so that 1 liter of pure serum that i got now can i use in total of around 900 liters ??

Sounds good.

MazeWL

Greetings People,
I spent every spare minutes I had these past 3 days reading this thread from page 1 to the last. Great reading. Hail Jaykush who unfortunately seems to be offline for sometime now.
Anyhow, did anybody tried to freeze the rice wash after the initial bacteria collection (or end of phase 4) or after the culture is completed ( or at the end of stage 8/9)?
I completely understand and agree that the production of Lacto Bacilli is extremely easy and hard to mess up BUT If one wants to use it on regular basis, it has to be prepared more or less every other week to have a fresh batch ready to use.
Now think about it: Imagine you have ice cubes of the product(s) in phase 4 or 8/9, it will let you use Lacto Bacilli almost anytime without having to wait the 7-14 days.
Yes I know I am overthinking it but it could be a nice to have the Bacilli always ready to use in minute quantities anytime needed.
Peace pon your heads

konopenko

Veteran
Thanks a lot for helpfull info jaykush, shit is working fine :)
I used it foliar on grapes, strawberrys, Sibiriian bluberries, tomatoes... The diferrence could be spoted with ease. Young tomatoes,blueberrys are greener and healtier and my Panama clones which were starvin a bit are now jumping from joy :)
That cheese which is considered as side product is very tasty for my she dog. She would even drink whole serum if possible ;)

War horse

One question:

I Have made LAC 20 times or so for the last 2 years. And i thought i was the master at this because i am so succesfull all the time, untill the last two times.

Last time i threw it it in the trash b/c it smelled alcohol. And now it is the same, it is 4 days since i put the milk in, and now the curd is floding on the top and looks ready but it smell very much alcohol.

Sould i threw it or what ?

Kefir should work fine, because it's already fermented. Any further fermentation INCREASES the population of healthy bacteria.

I was wondering about something like that.

I haven't made my way through the entire thread yet....

....But I was wondering if it is possible to skip the "rice wash" and just use some kefir or yogurt or some other "material" that already has LAB in it, by mixing one of those things with some milk and letting it sit for a week or so.

Or if things like kefir/yogurt/etc are already "concentrated" enough with LAB to use themselves, diluted with a bit of water?

h.h.

Veteran
Rice is cheap.
You can use other grain.
LB is everywhere.
You don’t need yogurt.
It costs more.
It’s mostly milk solids anyway.
But you could.
Or just leave a gallon of milk setting for a couple months.

Rory Borealis

Veteran
I was wondering about something like that.

is possible to skip the "rice wash" and just use some kefir or yogurt or some other "material" that already has LAB in it, by mixing one of those things with some milk and letting it sit for a week or so.

Or if things like kefir/yogurt/etc are already "concentrated" enough with LAB to use themselves, diluted with a bit of water?

You can skip the rice wash, it will still work. Yet, I have a hunch the diverse populations started by rice and dairy create healthier populations-thus fostering a greater defense against harmful pathogens.

Make sure you dilute your batch with a gallon of water to prevent something that would smother the plant's outer membrane.

MidcoastOrganic

Just read through this thread, and now I'm starting my first culture! I happy to see recent activity in this thread, too. In fact this is my first post in this forum at all - but I've already learned so much here.

Of the many uses I'm anticipating for LB, I'm hoping it can help me combat the WPM I'm having outdoors this season. And maybe the super smelly wetsuit boots, too. Wife hates those smelly things.

Florere

My first time was not a success. The rice wash literally smelled like shit. And since I already had the milk ready I continued, in two days the milk is 50+% solid like cottage cheese. Still the shit smell so I threw it away. Started a other rice wash