What's new

Lacto Bacilli: process and discussion

Finally made a contact for some raw organic goat milk, figuring the fresh raw milk is best ?

I could get the pasteurized also, im planning on making some Lacto B to try on Botrytis mold outdoors since nothing else seems to work.

Also would brewing a tea with the culture really get the bacteria super active ?

3rd & final question is has anyone ever tryed lacto b on botrytis with much success ?

Im going to be straying on 6 week old flowering buds so if this is a waste please let me know now.

THANKS

mapinguari

Veteran
Just found this study comparing strains of lactobacilli with Serenade and chemical fungicides in the suppression of fungus in citrus crops:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20722936

An interesting point raised in the study is that concentrations of some lactobacillus metabolites have a peak, beyond which they are actually less effective.

Thats funny because im testing Serenade added with some country spring water, molasses & kelp "bubbled 24hr" at some gorilla sites on Botrytis mold but thats another thread.

Been studying up as im ignorant on the topic but is the bi-product "whey" in the cheese making process Lactic Acid ?

mapinguari

Veteran
is the bi-product "whey" in the cheese making process Lactic Acid ?

Yes. The Gil Carandang method of making a lactic acid bacteria culture that jaykush teaches here is pretty much a soft cheese making process. You can make the leftover stuff into cottage cheese, or press it and age it a little. ("Leftover" of course being relative, if you're making cheese it's the whey!)

Shelf Life of Prepared LactoB.~ Anyone know how long its "good" for stored in glass jars in refrigeration? Recently tossed some that I prob. could have used. I love making a big batches so I don't have to worry about it and always have some on hand... just incase ;)

antheis

Veteran
i have some in my fridge that i made last summer that is still active. i believe i collected the culture in early june.
i did re-do step 5 to ensure i wasn't growing anything else since then, but i can't remember when i did it.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well ive had cultures that were over 6 months old and i checked with a microscope. but without it your going on a guess. i like your idea of going back and re doing half the procedure.

like i said its so cheap to make, and simple that fresh is easy. i used to store it, but found its needed so often that i can just make fresh and i will be fine.

cheap and easy woo! ... and potentially very smelly to produce - meh ;) even with its 1001 uses, I really don't use it much, and if you need it the need is usually immediate, and you have to wait for a fresh batch. I'd like to just get in to making a batch every 6 mo. that was my guess for how long to keep it. I somehow avoided pm this winter so I'm not thinking about the lacto much. Jay what's your favorite use for non-cannabis application of lacto. culture?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jay what's your favorite use for non-cannabis application of lacto. culture?

i have a deep bedding system for my chickens in the winter, this means as they poop i just toss more bedding. usually this wont create smelly coops but i like it to smell nice not just ok. the lacto spray goes on every few layers and it keeps the smell to zero.

as a side benefit this creates heat by the act of decomposition. this will raise the temp of the coop to where you will need to provide less feed to get them through winter, if you dont supplement with lighting it can also keep some breeds laying all winter.

and of course when you clean it out and pile it, the stuff decomposes amazingly fast and thoroughly.

i also spray it on my whole garden, forest garden and add it to the pond and animals water.

also works good at getting rid of cat piss smell.

if i were you i would shoot for a batch ever 2 months.

Tweetybird

cheap and easy woo! ... and potentially very smelly to produce - meh ;) even with its 1001 uses, I really don't use it much, and if you need it the need is usually immediate, and you have to wait for a fresh batch. I'd like to just get in to making a batch every 6 mo. that was my guess for how long to keep it. I somehow avoided pm this winter so I'm not thinking about the lacto much. Jay what's your favorite use for non-cannabis application of lacto. culture?

I made some Lacto-b & am still trying to figure out if its ok because the smell is horrendous. Is it supposed to be the worst sour smell ever? How can it get rid of bad odors when it reeks to start?

S

scuggy

This thread is gold, like so many others on here . Thanks rrog for pointing me in this direction. Just read through the whole thing, thinking the whole time it was a sticky. Too much knowledge in here to not let everybody see it right out front. Thanks Jaykush for a great thread. Sticky this!!!!!!

Oregonism

I made some Lacto-b & am still trying to figure out if its ok because the smell is horrendous. Is it supposed to be the worst sour smell ever? How can it get rid of bad odors when it reeks to start?

tweety, you are probably getting oxygen into your mix and ammonia is forming and smelling like shit.

check your air leaks or is just hasn't gone long enough. These are over 2 years.

This one has been going for a bout a month from the one above on the right.