What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Krypto's Ultimate Controler

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hi krypto,
well, I went with my list to a couple o places, but the dopey buggers didnt know wtf i was talking about so, ill just wait until u do the revised version for uk, and ill give it a whirl with just the timers to start, thanks , this is gr8, i love doing stuff with my hands so when i do this in the end, i know im gonna love every minute of it.

billbob

Questions: What size hydroton do you use (the large) ? Are the size of holes in the top bucket important as long as the rock can't get through?

G

blue: If your going to stick with growing in soil I would recommend it for a first timer but why practice at something your not going to do?

I think with your First Grow you could build a 10 bucket system and have excellent success. There are currently several members here who use this system, a similar system or will be using this system, so you have one helluva support group right here.

Harry Gypsna: That might take a while.
While I was searching for the diehl timers, I found that they are made in Germany and they do make the timers that should work in your area.
But I have no idea where to find them and haven't really looked that hard.

billbob: I've never seen another size of hydroton/leca. The size I use actually varies from say the size of ones thumbnail to the size of ones pinky nail.
The larger the holes the better flow through the medium you will have but you have to keep in mind the size of medium your going to use.
I would say more smaller holes but what i show here has always worked fine for me.
I may be experimenting with using these buckets and perlite as the medium so i want as small of a hole as possible while still allowing the water to pass freely through the medium and not taking back any of it through my feed and drain lines. What i amy end up doing is lining the bottom of the medium bucket with a cloth type screen.

hi Krypto I know youve been asked this before,but do you mind putting up a parts/estimateprice list for just the controller??

and maybe where I can get the wiring parts...thanks bro :)

G

Thanks Kryptonite!

I've decided that I will go with your controller bucket system, but its going to be quite a while before I have the space and money to start the grow...More time to research. :)

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
hey 1/2
It all depends what you use, Krypto used a plastic tupperware, and used screws to mount the top to the bucket. The bottom just snaps onto the lid.
I used aproject box from Radio Shack. I put two holes in the back and bent a coat hanger to form a hook. It just hangs on the side of the bucket.

to anyone who knows

is wire size important?and should I buy wire size to match quick connectors size?

also whats the point od different color quick connectors?,like I see some are yellow and some are blue.

thanks beforehand.

HydroLurker

My hats off to Kryptonite for this illustrative thread. At the risk of rehashing, his detailed pictorial assembly instructions demonstrate how simple a multi-flow controller can be put together only if correct parts are available. It can be easily built for a fraction of the cost. Furthermore, the overall size and design of the controller are customizable based on whatever buckets we have on hand -- no need to stick with smallish pots available with a particular commercial system on the market. Best of all, he just gave me every reason to look forward to continue practicing hydroponics as a hobby. I will be sure to come back here if technical assistance is needed. Thank you, Krypotnite!

full time daddy
Veteran
1/2man1/2amazin said:
to anyone who knows

is wire size important?and should I buy wire size to match quick connectors size?

also whats the point od different color quick connectors?,like I see some are yellow and some are blue.

thanks beforehand.

the color of the conn's or for dif size wire
( when your using more then one wire per conn )

the size of wire would depind on what size pump you use. look for a amp rating on your pump befor you biuy wire the wire should be for at lest 300volt
and a amp rating of lest twice of them pump rate.

hey guys just so you know.....when buying the floats from the wab site posted they send what ever floats they have on hand.

when hilly ordered we got the blue ones when you flip then around it done engage the switch.
for a quick fix me & hellinksi came up with cutting a 1/2 hose about 1/4" think and puting it on each float so that it engages .... all take pic and add once i get my charger back from my mom.....errr no cam sux
....lol

HydroLurker

Hello, again! I just perused Ebay a few moments ago and saw a different kind of float switch which might prove nifty for the controller -- the horizontal type. It is slightly expensive compared to vertical float switches commonly used for hydroponics, but is probabaly easier to work with. Does anyone care to comment as to whether this type of switch is doable for the controller? Two immediate thoughts come to mind. First, elbow fittings won't be needed at all and secondly, drilling holes on the bucket for switches might be easier. Let's keep this enlightening thread active as much as possible. Happy growing!

G

Finally took some pics of my Krypto Controller. I took your advice and added a second timer for an air pump so I can add airstones to the buckets without overflow.

I wanted to say thanks again to Kryptonite for the time and effort that went into this thread. I hope your tutorial makes its way to IC Mag print version, I think a lot of people could benefit from this extremely versatile system.

2268IMG_0262-med.JPG

2268IMG_0263-med.JPG

2268IMG_0266-med.JPG

2268IMG_0274-med.JPG

2268IMG_0275-med.JPG

cashcrop

Hey kripto! This is an awesome thread and i'm for sure going to build one my self now that i have some guidelines to go by. I just have one question for now... i hope your still around to answer it. About the Rez. I would like to ultimately use 18 3.5 gallon buckets. Now i know 18 time 3.5 equals63 gallons, but shouldn't a 55 gallon rez be enough since when all the 3.5 gallon buckets are being filled with water they are already filled with clay pebbles?

full time daddy
Veteran
cashcrop said:
Hey kripto! This is an awesome thread and i'm for sure going to build one my self now that i have some guidelines to go by. I just have one question for now... i hope your still around to answer it. About the Rez. I would like to ultimately use 18 3.5 gallon buckets. Now i know 18 time 3.5 equals63 gallons, but shouldn't a 55 gallon rez be enough since when all the 3.5 gallon buckets are being filled with water they are already filled with clay pebbles?

when we set up hillbilly's we did 15 3.5's
i was not there when he got the rez but if i remember right he went with a 55
you might want to pm him & ask.....

55 was fine for my 7 5 gallon set up.... im getting ready to do 9 3.5 tonight
all try to get back on tonight to let ya know how much it use's
i think the 55 will be fine for 9 5 gallon.......
im gonna start vegging in 9 3.5 so i use less nute's then switch over to 9 5 gallon's when i go into bloom....

one thing you wanna keep in mind your gonna have 1 more bucket then plants
(controller) & that one dont have clay/rocks or a plant so its a full 3.5 or 5 gallon's...

one thing that i been doing on my set ups is going with a bigger controller bucket
(ie 3.5 gallon set up use 5 gallon controler,5 gallon set up use 6 gallon bucket for controller)

if ya look at the systems sold they use 3.5 gallon controller on a 2 gallon set up... i dont know why they do

the reason i like to go bigger is so i can left all the plant buckets off the ground for better drain.....

cashcrop

Thanks for the info 00420.. So do you think i could get away with using a 55 gallon Res. with (18) 3.5's and (1) 5 gallon for the controller? I'm really looking to building this thing... i like the thought of doing it myself instead of paying that company 2 times what the thing is actually worth. This will be my first do-it-yourself project. I've never worked with plumbing or electricity... but i think i can do it thanks to this terrific thread and all you wonderful guys for support. Let me know how yours worked out. Later

G

Cashcrop, you may want to consider fewer plants or a larger rez. Let me explain why.

Although the rocks do displace some of the water, they are pourous and when the buckets are flooded they still hold about 2 to 2.5 gallons each. That, along with the 3 gallons the controller holds comes to a minimum requirement of 48 gallons for each flood. This only leaves you with 7 gallons in the bottom of your rez.

18 large plants in flower can suck up a tremendous amount of nutrient. Unless you are there daily (sometimes twice daily) to top up the rez, you may run the tank dry. This is a serious problem that can lead to pump failures, priming problems, and unhealthy nutrient concentrations.

I don't know your room / dimension requirements, but my advice would be to add a secondary rez on a float valve to top up the main 55 with plain water. You could add a shelf above your tank and us a smaller (18 gallon) RubberMaid or whatever will fill your needs.

Hope this helps.

full time daddy
Veteran
sry it took so lpong for me to get back at ya cash....

i agree with photo........ im using a 32 gal trash can ( rubbermade) for 9 & a controler and it sux it dry like he says with no plants in it yet....... leaving no room for what the plants take or what vape's in to mid air
im gonna have to go back to the 55......& use about 40 of it........
when i switch over to my 9 5gallon buckets im gonna have to get a sec'd 55 rez & run them side by side.

peace n good luck all toss up sum pic's in the morning

cashcrop

Thanks alot for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I will definitly use a second rez...cause i don't think they come bigger than 55 g's do they? We'll see. Thanks again fellas

G

Try US Plastic. Thumb around their tanks and Rubbermaid section and Im sure you will find something that works for you. Here is a link to an 80 gallon, its black too so it won't let in the light.

Brine Tanks

US Plastic Tanks

Its really expensive, but you can still build your entire expanded system for far less than the cost of the retail version. Another bonus it that it only takes 2 square feet of garden space.

Good luck with your system, you won't be disappointed with the results.

Latest posts

Latest posts