What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kids Can't Tell Time Anymore On Analog Clocks!

I think I’m old, I’m 63...

Yes I know what a loop is.
I ported X-Windows to Xenix, look it up.
I can make change in my head.
I know how to use Calculus, and imitate it.
I’ll fix your printer if you need help.

Worked on ARPNET and Yellow pages for NASA before you were born. (That’s before WWW)

You should really look inward at yourself.

What great things are you going to do in your life?

:party:

Oh I have looked inward, and than outward, and from what I hear every generation has their idiots and every generation has their intelligence. Part of being an unintelligent shill is just lumping people together in a group based off of some arbitrary singular observation.

Oh and I know what ARPNET is, props. That puts you in the 1% for your generation.

hurr durr, i can use old stuff, cause I'm from the same time. It doesn't make you smart. That, in fact, makes you your own parents.

WelderDan

Veteran
I'd hate to see what happens if people go without electricity for any length of time. Shit, I see how bad people flip out when their WIFI doesn't work for two hours. Two weeks without electricity would make some people go insane. I can't charge my iPhone! What will I doooo!

Me, I'd go fishing, read a book, cook over fire, burn a candle. People have grown stupid and lazy.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've got 2 propane generators, I do need my power, I need to run my oxygen concentrator although I'm stocked w/bottled O as well, I'm hoping to buy an automatic home standby unit soon. But that's just me, I've lost some confidence after my back injury, certain things are harder for me to do so I like to avoid any other inconveniences in life wherever possible.

If power is out across the grid here nobody will get internet or cable as the repeater (signal booster) stations will be down too, it's very rural here, in some places a mile between homes, at least I can run the fridge, lighting, heat or a/c & a few dvd's off the genny.

I enjoy telling my friends that I'm afraid of the dark.......

kaochiu

Veteran
As for the thread's title. What do London kids think of Big Ben on school trips? Do they have an app to identify what the arrows and romans mean? How about Boris Johnson? Anyway, have fun in Mars colonies, you forever young great pioneers, i can't join cos they won't allow tokers. Plus i'm computer illiterate, so I'll sit down and wait for death. And dinner. Dinner first.

R

Rubber Chicken

The black kid was funny. Now they did cheat when they used the roman numeral clock.

Cheat??

Even if they didn't learn the numerals yet they should just be able to tell the time from where the number are.

This kind of basic stuff should be taught to kids before they begin school.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
When I grew up, the most important thing in the world was knowing how to shoe a horse. Without my horse, I could not plow my fields to eat. Without my horse, I had no means of transportation to get to town to buy supplies.

Truth is, you can't stay alive without knowing how to shoe a horse. It's one of the most important things in life.

Fast forward to today.

My great-grandchildren can't shoe a fucking horse. I ask them all the time.....How are they going to survive? They just laugh and say, "Oh Grandpa".

Maybe what was important at one time, is no longer important today.

Shoeing horses, reading analog clocks...... or using a bottle opener (that's a whole nother story LOL)

R

Rubber Chicken

When I grew up, the most important thing in the world was knowing how to shoe a horse. Without my horse, I could not plow my fields to eat. Without my horse, I had no means of transportation to get to town to buy supplies.

Truth is, you can't stay alive without knowing how to shoe a horse. It's one of the most important things in life.

Fast forward to today.

My great-grandchildren can't shoe a fucking horse. I ask them all the time.....How are they going to survive? They just laugh and say, "Oh Grandpa".

Maybe what was important at one time, is no longer important today.

Shoeing horses, reading analog clocks...... or using a bottle opener (that's a whole nother story LOL)

I know i'm getting older.... but having a reality check about thinking kids should be able to tell time on a hand clock, made me feel even older.

Maybe there is no point at all.

I was thinking it was like learning ABC and tying a shoelace....

Maybe the days of learning anything at all are fading. :frown:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Funny story...... I am in a rock and roll band and for a while, I had a 19 year old guitar player. Awesome player. Damn near a prodigy. And, a wonderful kid. Straight A student in college, studying geological engineering. Awesome parents. His Dad was a famous guitar player in an international band.

So, anyway, we are at the studio practicing one night and he asks me if he can have one of my beers. I say sure, help yourself. He grabs a beer from the fridge and starts to twist off the cap. I told him it was not a twist off (Corona) cap and handed him a bottle opener.

He took it from my hand and began to fumble with it as he tried to figure out how it worked.

OMG!!!!!! We all started laughing and teasing him for not knowing how to use a bottle opener. OMG, to the rest of us (all older) that seemed totally absurd and amazing. Here is a kid with a giant IQ, a straight A student and very well read, intelligent kid who..... can't open a bottle of beer with a church key. OMG again.... did I grow up doing this? Didn't everyone? Didn't Paul Newman have a church key around his neck in the opening scene of Cool Hand Luke? Didn't my guitar player ever see that movie!!!!!! LMAO

We all got a big laugh, including the kid but, like with the Rubber Chicken, it was an eye-opener to realize the truth of that situation.

Truth is, since Dave was born, they had twist-off caps and pull tabs.

Dave doesn't need to know how to shoe a horse OR use a bottle opener and he is going to do just fine in life. LOL

Last edited:
W

Water-

I always hated clocks in school. I still avoid looking at any.

the minute hand seemed to move so slow that it made time a miserable experience

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am totally manic and time could never go fast enough for me, especially in grade school.

What I used to do is take a piece of paper and start writing 1....2....3.....4, etc until I reached 1200. Then, I started circling each number, backwards until I reached zero. Since each pencil action took about 1 second, by the time I was back to zero and looked up, 40 minutes had gone by and it was time for the next class. LOL

I'd hate to see what happens if people go without electricity for any length of time. Shit, I see how bad people flip out when their WIFI doesn't work for two hours. Two weeks without electricity would make some people go insane. I can't charge my iPhone! What will I doooo!

Me, I'd go fishing, read a book, cook over fire, burn a candle. People have grown stupid and lazy.

What if life was set up differently so that it could accommodate my unique skill set. Shit if only driving tests were harder, itd be so much better.

packerfan79

Veteran
Their are clocks everywhere at work, drives me nuts. I wish they would take them down. I am a clock watcher, a fault I could do without. The stupid company I work for has 3 different time clocks, they all make the bell ring totally fucks up the day when the bell rings and you think it's lunch, but it's not. I am about to cut the wires to the old time clocks. I asked our production manager why it happens. His response when corporate took over nobody told them how to shut them off. Corporate installed the fancy digital time clock, but couldn't figure out how to disconnect the old ones. This is the same idiot who questions everything I do, yet not one time has he been right. I have to explain everything I do, inevitably I am proved right. I guess that's what happens when you hire a guy who worked in a furniture factory, to run a company that is heavily involved in tech.

This company is retarded, we build clean rooms for servers, yet our servers are unprotected out in a dusty non controlled environment. Wtf.

green404

and if you gave any of them a '3 on the tree tranny' they'd poop their Calvins & text their bff for a ride.......

Years ago I had a car with "3 on the tree" I took it to the tire shop for something. A few mins later a younger guys comes and finds me and asks if I will pull the car into the bay.

He said "It has a sifter like an automatic but it has a clutch..." " I have no clue.. wtf." lol

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
:tiphat:

Attachments

• 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Latest posts