What's new

Kerala Landrace info

corky1968

Veteran
Looking good, they may be super bushy due to the 10k lighting you have...that's the equivalent of a Himalayan mountain lol

I think the 10K lighting is certainly helping out. Without the leafing to create branch technique it wouldn't have happened though.

I don't think anyone else in here is using such a high light spectrum.

corky1968

Veteran
As of today I have so far identified 3 females.

Here's my #1 plant picture earlier and she's flowering nicely. :woohoo:

picture.php

Here's some pistils circled in red coming out of the calyxes. :tiphat:

picture.php

window

Veteran
Looking good Corky, please keep the updates coming.:)
Are you growing for sinsi or seed?

corky1968

Veteran
Looking good Corky, please keep the updates coming.:)
Are you growing for sinsi or seed?

Something tells me that if I made no seeds some of you would want to do this to me. :spank: :biggrin:
All but one will be seeded in open pollination style with no selections taking place to preserve them as is.

I'm actually watering them now as I type this. Just taking a 5 minute break to :peek: in here.
I hand water each one by one. These girls are sure thirsty now.

corky1968

Veteran
:woohoo:

I decided to take a very close look at my plants again and this time I noticed one of my bushy plants is a guaranteed male.
It only had 3 branches showing pollen sacs and seeing that it's very early into flowering this plant was cloned. It and it's
2 clones will join the tallest plant that I have which I suspect is also a male and it's single clone. None of the clones taken
have pollen sacs which I figure is a good thing as they can be put back into vegging with any pollen being released.

picture.php

RC_Colas

Veteran
Fantastic news...!

:woohoo:

I decided to take a very close look at my plants again and this time I noticed one of my bushy plants is a guaranteed male.
It only had 3 branches showing pollen sacs and seeing that it's very early into flowering this plant was cloned. It and it's
2 clones will join the tallest plant that I have which I suspect is also a male and it's single clone. None of the clones taken
have pollen sacs which I figure is a good thing as they can be put back into vegging with any pollen being released.

View Image

corky1968

Veteran
I switched all of my lighting yesterday at 5 Pm as I finally received the Ace Ballast 600 watt that I ordered about 10 days ago.

I'll be able to run both MH and HPS with this ballast. :woohoo:

During my initial test 4 hours of yesterday I had it on 100% power. Seeing how bright it is I figured I would put
it on 75% power for a couple of day to let these plants get adjusted. I didn't get a HPS bulb like most people
use for flowering. I prefer keeping Sativas under the blueish MH light spectrum over the HPS spectrum.

The bulb I purchased is the Plantmax™ 600W Metal Halide 7200K Sky Blue Grow Light Bulb.

picture.php

This is the bulb's spectrum and it's about as close as I can get to the Himalayans for now.

picture.php

Azaghal

Veteran
Hello Corky1968 and everybody else, :tiphat:

I really like your approach to tame this Kerala variety indoors, Corky!

To prune away the apical meristem to encourage sidebranching is a good idea and your use of a MH-bulb with an overall "bluer" spectrum may help to further limit strechting.

It is also nice that you already detected a male and want use it for making seeds :yes: .

Inspired by this thread and all the good people here, sharing pics and information, I gave my 3 Kerala seeds which I received as freebies together with a pack of Mextiza from an austrian seedvendor a try.

I was not very optimistic because I knew that these seeds were not the freshest any more but to my surprise one seedling sprouted.
Germed them at the beginnig of April I think, directly in soil.

Next step will be to take clones from the lower sidebranches.

Cheers

Attachments

• Kerala RSC.jpg
    Kerala RSC.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Kerala RSC frontview.jpg
    Kerala RSC frontview.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 23

corky1968

Veteran
Thanks for the compliment Azaghal. :tiphat:

BTW: If you took off even just 2 fans leaves on opposite sides of the plant.
The branches 2 nodes below that would really take off because of the increased
light hitting them. That's if you want a bushier plant that is. My pics speak for
themselves.

:thank you:

D3pthCharg3

Corky:I cant wait to see how you enjoy those blue bulbs. I ran the 5,600K blues befoe I went to full LED and loved every minute of it. Blue is where its at IMHO for these plants. Keep it up, youre really keeping them where you want them with your technique.

Azaghal: Great to see another Kerala come to life

Last edited:

corky1968

Veteran
Corky:I cant wait to see how you enjoy those blue bulbs. I ran the 5,600K blues befoe I went to full LED and loved every minute of it. Blue is where its at IMHO for these plants. Keep it up, youre really keeping them where you want them with your technique.

I agree that blue spectrum for Sativas is most likely better. It's surely more natural in my view than an HPS's pinkish-orange glow.

But hey, at least we can all chose the bulbs we want these days.
I imagine in the early days it must have been very depressing bulb shopping.

I'm sure having fun with this Kerala grow. :huggg:

1. I got to fully exploit this leafing to branch technique in depth this time around and controlled the size of a Sativa.

2. It's the 1st time I've tried T-5 lighting. (only tried the older T-12 before)

3. It's the 1st time I get to try a 600 watt lighting system. (previous max was a 430 Son Agro)

4. This 7200K bulb is sure new to me and I really can't wait to veg with it next time as well as flower with it this time.

Note: I do have a few other ideas I may test next time to further push the envelope of indoor Sativas cultivation.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Vegetative fun Corky congratz! But the stretch and the flowering will be far more difficult, especially to avoid heat strokes and other big stress like dryness... This is what caused the intersex bananaz with one of my two specimens in their last 18/20 weeks... More 2010 shots recently re-found... Aza, Cor' full vibes! :)
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

corky1968

Veteran
Vegetative fun Corky congratz! But the stretch and the flowering will be far more difficult, especially to avoid heat strokes and other big stress like dryness... This is what caused the intersex bananaz with one of my two specimens in their last 18/20 weeks...

Roms,

You mentioned dryness. That fan in the 1st picture of yours being so close to the plants surely must been
one factor in this dryness you mention. I know that these Kerala plants come from a humid area and can
actually tolerate a lot of humidity. More so than any Indica I know of.

So they being in a really dry environment is most likely bad for them as it is unnatural for them.
Actually, probably all tropical Sativa plants live in fairly humid conditions.

Thanks for the compliments :tiphat:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Corky

In the tropics there is the Monsoon season and the dry season .
Not year round rain .
A lot of places away from the coastlines actually get very dry . Then the wet season arrives .

Kerala is the same . Most of the rain arrives in the wet season . 3-4 months dry or little rain .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
@Corky, no problemo with my fan/dryness man, as you can see it is facing up and towards the CMH 400w. My waterings and fertz were also thoughtful as you can see the greens without burned tips... :) In fact i was talking about the heat and dryness in the last flowering tima, when the plants are mini x4 stretched with full flowers thirsty and with their apex near the lamp and its heat... My 1m80 box was fullfull, i even had to remove my AdjusAWings in the end flo tima!!! Do you have a large and high box to flo your plant? cause it will be very big man due to your extra veg grow! With cool distant finish apex to your 600w? And i advise to not cut and stress tops! Have you already completed indoor a 20 weeks cultivar/landrace strain? Good luck anyway :)

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
...also to document, here is an extrem sativa from Guadeloupe (topped) compared to the apex Kerala early bud near left. (12/12 from seeds veg)
picture.php
picture.php
(It was endless and has been finished her days as ornamental plant for months in dah house!)

corky1968

Veteran
Do you have a large and high box to flo your plant? Have you already completed indoor a 20 weeks cultivar/landrace strain? Good luck anyway :)

I've already done the RSC Kerala and Highland Thai before.
Also did Ace's Oldtime Haze. So yeah long flowering has been
done by myself already.

My cabinet is 7 feet tall. :laughing:

Small pots really control the size last time.
I'm not worried. The only plant that scares
me is the Highland Thai. It has the biggest
potential for going to the sky.

corky1968

Veteran
I just checked my 1st clone today that I took on June 2nd and there's a bunch of 1/2 inch roots at the bottom. :woohoo:

So it's all safe now. I hope the last 2 clones taken a few days ago as well.

I only used on potting soil and misted the clone several times a day.