What's new

keeper ratios

dboi87

I plan on ordering three strains: malawi, golden tiger, and zamaldelica.

I'm sure any given plant will be good, but how many seeds do you guys think I'd need of each to find a truly stand out keeper?

S

smallgardener

well, what does it mean trully stand out keeper? 20seeds are always better than 10 :) if you will have 3x10 you may have keeper. there are interesting phenos at malawi side . Have in my gt f2 selection some sweety , some killer resinous. almost every woman is different in one pack, and there are some keepers. Thai is also interesting, but not so practicall for many growers, and Zamal phenos may be similar to thai in terms of density and flower time...and of course the mixture :D

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I plan on ordering three strains: malawi, golden tiger, and zamaldelica.

I'm sure any given plant will be good, but how many seeds do you guys think I'd need of each to find a truly stand out keeper?

I'm beginning to think the term "keeper pheno" needs to be retired.

As small gardener said - what really makes a keeper? Palate, potency needs, effect desire, etc. are all going to change based on the grower.

My experience: I very rarely run more than three seeds of any Ace line and I am never disappointed by my results. Usually the variance between phenos is appreciated as you get to see what the parents are like individually.

My NepJams and Purple Haze x Malawi were a great example of this:

Purple Haze Malawi - The outdoor, more malawi leaning plant was more "african intense" than my indoor hazey pheno, which is more dreamy. I like the hazey dreamy pheno more, but only because I don't really like being too revved up. My friend who grew the malawi pheno likes his better as he likes to smoke while hiking and the energy is appreciated.

NepJam - The taller, more Jamaican pheno is more energetic and talky while the squatty pheno is PERFECT for putting me into a nice relaxed, happy state which makes it really easy to go to sleep. Each have their benefits and would justify a "keeper" in my eyes - but for different reasons.

Coconutz

Veteran
Ive never grown any Ace stuff at all, but I wouldnt expect a "keeper" in any single pack of seeds.
I suggest keeping your favorites from a few packs of seeds and run them until you find your favorite and then buy more seeds!

idiit

Veteran
very easy to find keepers in the three; malawi, golden tiger, zamaldelica.

i would go for the frosty mum in malawi. there's the purple and the early malawi as well.

i like the rarer mt dominate gt but i'm not sure what the latest genectics are on fem and reg. gt from ace.

zamaldelica seems to offer up a lot of fantastic options; almost all potential keepers.

basically, with these three strains one pack should get you what you want. if not, do some inline breeding with specimens closest and make plenty of homemade seeds. the seed batch you created should offer up what you want if the first pack doesn't.

ace and cbg offer extremely well worked lines with diverse genetics left intact in order to avoid potential subsequent genetic bottlenecking issues. i've had to run a lot of seeds from lines by other vendors due to poor seed germination, polluted genetics, lack of vigor taking out a number of seedlings as breeder material. with ace and cbg the work to find acceptable keepers is much easier.

imo buy 1 pack each, make seeds off selected keepers. run a few seeds at a time until you get what you want.

really pretty easy with both ace and cbg.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Ive never grown any Ace stuff at all, but I wouldnt expect a "keeper" in any single pack of seeds.
I suggest keeping your favorites from a few packs of seeds and run them until you find your favorite and then buy more seeds!

I hear you, but I expect a keeper for my taste one
for ten of purchased seeds.

But, I pop many more than ten of my own crosses
to find keepers.

Bottom line, if you can buy 40 seeds of each then
you greatly increase your chances to find a keeper.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran

I find keepers all the time and very rarely pop more than 10 seeds of anything but I spend a lot of time researching strains before I buy them.

Coconutz

Veteran
When I think of keeper I think of something that matches up with elite clone only type that will stand the test of time and you would rather die than loose it.
If every pack had "keepers" like that people wouldnt be so stingy with their genetics
Just because its the best outta 10 doesnt mean it deserves to be kept is all Im sayin

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
When I think of a keeper I think of a plant that best fits the traits that strain is known for.

So I guess keeper is relative to the grower.

Obviously looks, potency, taste and smell are very important, but even then I find good plants all the time. My problem is usually having more plants then I can keep.

S

smallgardener

well what do you prefer, more stoned baked malawi rush with great taste/smell, yield and shorter flowering time, or you can keep some crazy long flowering speedy (thai) or trippy (zamal), if you prefer second i just reccomend 30zamaldelicas (reg. more thai/zamal than malawi leaning) . ???

dboi87

Well now reading all these responses makes me rethink my question.

I guess I asked because I know they're all for the most part landrace hybrids and I know that landrance sativass tend to have many nuances.

What percentage will produce more airy fluffy bud or be low yielding? How often will I run into a plant that autos under stress? How often will I find a plant that truly matches the description ace gives? breeding can only breed out so many unwanted phenotypical representations before compromising the traits that were desirable (or at least that was my very limited understanding)

I agree with coconutz description of what a true keeper is to me. However I was more just asking how many seeds would be a good starting point in finding a full representation of the type of plant described by the breeder.

Thanks for all the input guys/gals.

S

smallgardener

I think the goal and holy grail is something malawi killer looking/stable/yielding, but with a zamal trippy high : ) but this is even for Ace hard work. but if you read here a lot info about these strains, you will have an perfect idea what do you want, Im sure

I don't think there's really any definite answer to that question other than "as many as it takes". Since you're chasing your own personal ideal (which is different for everyone), you should try to grow as many as you can comfortably manage until you start to understand the different expressions and find what you're looking for. Like with breeding, the bigger the pool, the better.

Personally, that's way too much trouble for me. I don't mind the variance as long as the basic line is strong and suitable to me.

dboi87

I agree. As I said, sure the lines are all great in general. I just know myself and will be always thinking maybe the third pack would have had a stand out. Not saying that the others won't be great but there's always a possibility for better. I figured maybe I could get a feel for a good starting point from you guys with more ace experience.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Dubi's descriptions are the best i have ever read.. I think all the spanish guys are brilliant at describing nuances in cannabis, i love going through some of spanish ganja forums absorbing their knowledge..

So if you know what you are in for with those crosses, and that is what you want, and you grow them to a near peak of happiness you will find several specimens in just one pack that will be interesting enough to ponder over making space for on a more permanent basis.

However if you didn't know what you were in for and you grew them in the total wrong way then you probably wont want any of them.

They are obviously beasts of sativas, ideally those want growing outdoors in good organic soil and then you would want to keep them all..

are you thinking indoors or out and are you familiar with 16 week monsters ?

Fraust

@dboi87

According to some botanists 25 is a minimum number in order to conserve the full genetic diversity in a strain. You should be safe with 30 if you take into consideration runts, whirled phytolaxy, grower error etc, etc...

Hope that helps

Fraust

P.S.

This would mean that you would be looking into the next filial generation for the full representation of the strain. So make lots of seeds if you are trying for that keeper pheno you're on about

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Zamaldelica Regular:

picture.php

Keeper:

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts