What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keep my see 1k hps or switch to cmh???

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Back to my regularly scheduled programming....

Glue tray hit 14 days today so they got their legs shaved as well as some stakes for support. I even pinched a few tops to kind of help slow down some stretching under the lights center hotspot.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

A

acridlab

Calm down and burn a joint

sorry, didn't mean to jack off the thread, was showing dirt bag how annoying one can be. especially by correcting grammar n shit on a weed forum..my bad.. smoked one.. still think he should change his name to douche bag , but that's just me...
peace, growers../ fug off wannabes

Dirt Bag

sorry, didn't mean to jack off the thread, was showing dirt bag how annoying one can be. especially by correcting grammar n shit on a weed forum..my bad.. smoked one.. still think he should change his name to douche bag , but that's just me...
peace, growers../ fug off wannabes

Your bullshit viewpoint, shitty writing, and nomenclature are what created and perpetuates the ignorant stoner stereotype. Notice that this isn't named International Weed Magazine? Cannabis use isn't a valid excuse for poor or lack of education. There are many regular cannabis users' posts here with fine grammar and spelling.
I correct people because I am deeply saddened by the degradation of education in today's society. Just trying to do my part to help. Why does it "annoy" you? Perhaps you're angry that others may have obtained a better education than yourself?
Oh, and by the way, your attempt at correcting my post was a dismal failure, remember? I didn't forget the comma as it's unnecessary in that context.

(and again my apologies to SG for the digression)

Dirt Bag

Got the glues praying to the cmh. Also saw the first Signs of light stress today.View ImageView ImageView Image

ACK! This is why we want to switch out the 1Ks! Ugh. Praying = too much light. I assume they've gotten much closer to the light than your initial 2 feet... If not, you're going to need to raise them... considerably. Eek. Waiting anxiously for distance measurements....
Isaack said they need to be slammed to the ceiling. I believe him.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah

Your bullshit viewpoint, shitty writing, and nomenclature are what created and perpetuates the ignorant stoner stereotype. Notice that this isn't named International Weed Magazine? Cannabis use isn't a valid excuse for poor or lack of education. There are many regular cannabis users' posts here with fine grammar and spelling.
I correct people because I am deeply saddened by the degradation of education in today's society. Just trying to do my part to help. Why does it "annoy" you? Perhaps you're angry that others may have obtained a better education than yourself?
Oh, and by the way, your attempt at correcting my post was a dismal failure, remember? I didn't forget the comma as it's unnecessary in that context.

(and again my apologies to SG for the digression)

:moon::moon:

OP

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
There may be a little bit of hps light catching them but it's about 5 ft away from the hps lamp. Cmh isn't reaching over to hps plants. Ive been raising the cmh every day to try to maintain my 2 ft distance and avoid bleaching and burns. I also pinched a few of the taller tops to help them slow down on the vertical stretch there. As of right now I think 2 feet is just right. Using the hand test there's not a lot of heat at the canopy so I'll just keep raising to maintain that distance.checked the canopy temps with a laser thermometer. My canopy was 83. A foot above canopy was 86 seemed like a 2 to 3 degree temp rise per foot Above canopy.

A

acridlab

my best run was 40 oz. from 4 gg4s, in 5 gal. pots..when I can hit that again with 630 chm, ill say they win. coming from a stereotypical stoner,, 1k can still produce great.. don't need all the hype lights, like the double ended everybody had to have.def dont have to shut down a room in order to wait on some other light,.but alot of preschool commercial types, need that stuff in order to achieve a decent bud...
picture.php
picture.php

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
my best run was 40 oz. from 4 gg4s, in 5 gal. pots..when I can hit that again with 630 chm, ill say they win. coming from a stereotypical stoner,, 1k can still produce great.. don't need all the hype lights, like the double ended everybody had to have.def dont have to shut down a room in order to wait on some other light,.but alot of preschool commercial types, need that stuff in order to achieve a decent bud...View Image View Image

are we talking 5 gallons of soil? or coco? Hydro? they look superb.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Personally I'd never shit down while waiting for a light. I've got multiple 1k setups not even in use...Acrid i been thinking of swapping over to Coco myself just to give me more height in the room. Can you elaborate a little more on your setup/system??? Multi feed?? Pot size ? Veg time?

Dirt Bag

my best run was 40 oz. from 4 gg4s, in 5 gal. pots..when I can hit that again with 630 chm, ill say they win. coming from a stereotypical stoner,, 1k can still produce great.. don't need all the hype lights, like the double ended everybody had to have.def dont have to shut down a room in order to wait on some other light,.but alot of preschool commercial types, need that stuff in order to achieve a decent bud...View Image View Image

How presumptuous of you, sir. FYI, We didn't shut down soley for obtaining new lights. Our HPS are burning plants, costing too much, generating too much heat, and are way past due for change, which we aren't going to do. We're going to sell them and buy cmh. We can't sell them when we're using them. Some of us aren't made of money. Ooh pictures! Wow, you're cool.

Last edited:

Dirt Bag

Coco (and rockwool) are fine, again, if you have money to burn. But they both require disposal. A responsibility we don't wish to have. We bought growstone 3 years ago and haven't needed to buy any since. Drain to waste is also costly.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Isn't the Coco reuseable??? I know for sure my rockwools are a reoccurring cost but only every 3rd or 4th cycle. I get a case at a time and it's only like 100$. Pulling a p per tray I can afford that.

Dirt Bag

Isn't the Coco reuseable??? I know for sure my rockwools are a reoccurring cost but only every 3rd or 4th cycle. I get a case at a time and it's only like 100$. Pulling a p per tray I can afford that.

No, I don't believe you reuse coconut coir. Perhaps you can repurpose it. Again, if you can afford it, and you have a safe method of disposal, new media is certainly convenient. Whether I have the money or not, I prefer to recycle. It's better financially, environmentally, and legally as more than one grower has been busted by improper disposal methods. There's also the health factor. Rockwool fibers are unhealthy.
Yes, there are benefits to larger plants, but there are drawbacks as well. The large commercial operation I'm watching being constructed is using netafim and coco, but they also have 15' ceilings. We've done both ways and very much prefer ebb&flow, but it's all preferences really.
Reusing coco runs the risk of salt buildup, bugs, and rot as getting all of the roots out is impossible. People tear the cover off bulbs, dry in the microwave, run HIDs on extention cords, rig power meters, open blast bho indoors, and myriad of other cannabis related stunts. Doesn't make them good. If reusing was a viable option, one, just one commercial grower somewhere would... but they don't. The cost/risk ratio isn't viable. And the discarded stuff eventually adds up unless you have a disposal/repurpose method.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts