What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kangativa's Mullumbimby Madness Grow

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
Hi....Answer to your first question is I start my Sativa's around the start of August to mid August to sex them out then I put them in the ground in October and can harvest as late as June, weather depending.
Second is I dont know yet as it is still curing and i am away, but Ill let you know later...cheers k

hey kangativa, hope you don't mind my asking but how do you cure on such a big scale? what's the easiest/best way to do it?

Kangativa

Veteran
Why is it scary?

I was kidding really.....It was more a flash back to the old days when there was pretty much zero police presence. But as always things sort of got ruined when a few people started blowing smoke in their faces and now look what you have.

Kangativa

Veteran
hey kangativa, hope you don't mind my asking but how do you cure on such a big scale? what's the easiest/best way to do it?

Hi mate.....No worries. I usual hang for about 5-6 days in a dark room with fans going and then when I think it is close to dry I put it in a pickle barrel and finish it off in there,checking every now and then to make sure all is ok. I do actually compress it a bit and when I think it is dry enough I seal the lid and put it away somewhere nice and cool for a few months. Because I compress it I like to leave the leaves on to protect it a bit and trim later.
Sativas always come out with that nice hashish smell but still retain their flavours and smells when cut up.
Its really important to get that first part right coz it can make a smoke a bit harsh if dried to fast......Ill do some pics at a later date....cheers K

I was kidding really.....It was more a flash back to the old days when there was pretty much zero police presence. But as always things sort of got ruined when a few people started blowing smoke in their faces and now look what you have.
Strange you know... some clowns blow smoke in the face of cops in many cities, but the cops don't seem to then victimize the entire city for it. Sounds like they found a good excuse. One thing I'm told about the place now that I don't like is the smak addicts have moved in and made themselves at home. That's enough to turn many off the place, perhaps the smak has had something to do with the elevated cop presence?

Pity either way.

Just curious Kanga, do you know Kog?

Kangativa

Veteran
Strange you know... some clowns blow smoke in the face of cops in many cities, but the cops don't seem to then victimize the entire city for it. Sounds like they found a good excuse. One thing I'm told about the place now that I don't like is the smak addicts have moved in and made themselves at home. That's enough to turn many off the place, perhaps the smak has had something to do with the elevated cop presence?

Pity either way.

Just curious Kanga, do you know Kog?

Hi mate...Yeah you could have a point there. I have heard that the smak scene has been cleaned up a bit now, which is a good thing.
As for knowing Cog....no mate but have heard a lot about him.

Hi mate...Yeah you could have a point there. I have heard that the smak scene has been cleaned up a bit now, which is a good thing.
As for knowing Cog....no mate but have heard a lot about him.

I haven't been up in recent years so I don't know what the scene is currently but it was getting too scaggy for my liking last I was there. Once you've been there a couple of times there's not much you haven't seen. Quaint little place filled with bohemians, sort of like a 50yard strip of street in Amsterdam, the whole of the Nimbin shop/cafe strip that is. Some good people, but it's a pity how it's remained the same size now for over a decade and a half. Says something.

Kog was the man who was selling Mullums till recent years, 50 bucks for 50 seeds. Sold them worldwide and about a decade ago sold a big bag of them to one Mullum Madman who onsold them to Gypsie, the original Gypsie. Kog told MullumMman that they were old stock and gave them to him at a very reduced price. They ended up on Gypsies menu for 50bucks a pack of 10. Little beknowns to Gypsie they had been stored in a shed for years in subtropical Oz, getting sizzled every year and turning hermi at a great rate of knots. So much so that Gypsie bascially pulled them off the self and was left with 2000 bucks of Hermi Mullums. In the meantime Mullum Madman was nowhere to be seen. Gotta love it.lolol

Over the years through bad seed storage practice and very lean summers water wise, Kog's stock all became genetically depleted to the point that if you didn't end up with a hermi, you'd end up with a heavily reduced yield and lots of skimpy airy colas. Good stuff, but not enough of it.

So Kog passed on the last of his "relatively" good ones to me and I set out to restore them over numerous generations, which I did with the help of other growers here and abroad. We finally got them back to their former glory and ZERO herms. I handed out thousands of them for free on the old forums, OG, CW, Marihemp and others. I know many grew them out successfully and where happy with them.

Kog in the meantime changed over to a large yielding and fast potent hybrid for his guerrillas in nth nsw and no longer bothers with the mullums. They're a better smoke than the hybrid he has now, but not as commercially friendly. This is the strain he does now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZCMb2LuJmA&feature=PlayList&p=FE451FA15376F023&playnext=1&index=14

It's a cross of Hemcy BigBud (sativa pheno mum) and an excellent Mullum male. Well, that's what it was when he took this video. Haven't seen him in a few years so I can't say what he's using now, but he liked this one a lot for his purposes. No customer complaints. I still have stock of the original hemcy BB kerns he used to make it, but I've let go of the mullums because I now live too far south for them. Not only that, but I have kept some sativa strains that are equally as good or better and others that will happily finish in time. If it's raw potency you like, have you tried lowland NamBlack, African Seeds's Kariba Surprise or FET's 303? In the quality stakes the Kariba wins but it needs at least 16weeks of tropicana to become unbelievable.

Thing is Kanga that I've basically given up growing and smoking dope after 4 decades of love, I've found my grace, so if you're interested in any of those, let me know somehow. I can also give you the names of many well known users and seed suppliers on this board who can vouch for my legitimacy; referees so to speak. But we'd need to private message one and other for details. Can snail to any locale or to a go-between to pass onto you. Just do them well and keep them going; nothing more. You may find something pleasing, that's all I'll say.

All the best.

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
badly stored seed causing hermis and light airy buds? man I don't think I agree with you on that one

bushweed

Veteran
Oaxacan Space Shuttle (O x NL5Hz)...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

D

Dalaihempy

Hi guys well a few things there that don't sit right first off shanti did not come from WA and he in fact has MM seeds that he and 3 others worked developed in the late 70s early 80s from memory it was the first line he cut his teeth on as he sed any way point is shanti still has friends up in that part of the world still to.

Mullum Madman's version did Hermie and not just grown by kids the fact he also later admitted it was not the real deal mm.

All i know is many up there label an unknown sativa as MM why so many people think its good at best even had a guy tell me in 2000 he was offered it smoked it sed it was rubbish.

The first time i ever heard of a strain called mm was in 79 by school friends who went up there to live and grow and surf old hippies were growing it up near a power station not sure were as i have not been to Nimbin only Byron any way lost touch with most but my closet of the friends past away and the rest well went Ferrel the next time i heard the ward mm was from a bag i scored from an old woman 29 years ago that is a story in its self this mj blew my mind and oddly Neville's haze a well selected Neville's haze is as close as i have come to that mj at the time we were smoking growing old imported Thia columbine so it was not like we were smoking shit to not know quality mm was just something special.

All i know is i saw kogs video he comes a cross as a corrector he showed a pic of his Old mother sativa in veg that he took clones of so must still grow it and he also was growing a indica sat hybrid not sure but lets be honest any half descent sativa grown out doors in most areas of oz is going to grow huge.

I gave a mates uncle and his grow partner that's in his 70s a bag full of Neville's haze f2s and they love the smoke but there south coast heading towards Vic border and they cant get them to fully flower all they do is keep flowering and growing.

G'day mate. Thanks for the very informative post. I hope Kangativa takes you up on your offer. Those African and Vietnamese strains sound sublime.

Gday bushy,

I'll explain how I ended up here now.

I've not visited any grow forum in about 2years, had resided to the idea I'd enough and it was time for new ventures. Then for some unknown reason I got the feeling last week to have a look in here, and only in here, so I did. I've not grown in a long while but have stored what I had well, in case I decided to in future. But life went on and things changed to the point where I'd made up my mind about a year ago that it was definitely over for me. I'm half way through a law degree now (never too late I assure you) that I got the govt to subsidize for me which was great considering it cost almost 40grand and I know well that I'll never have the want or need for thc ever again, been totally clean for years now. Don't ask me why I stopped, it simply just happened, no reason really, and it happened gradually. Age I suppose, but then again, what can the likes of some 60 and 70yo stoners say?

So it's been on my mind now for a while that I best pass on my best stock to someone who is worthy of it. Given all my mates are either gone or dead, and most the good growers I know on these forums are simply not able to or unwilling to conserve the genetics in a manner I feel is right, then I realized that I had to soon find someone who was and could do it. So perhaps some part of me guided me here because from what I've briefly seen of Kanga and you I now realize that my ol' instinct is alive and well.

So yeah bushy, I do feel it would be good for a bloke like Kanga to primarily try these because I know he's capable of doing it, but more importantly, he's in the right part of the world to do it. Most of the genes I'm thinking of have become accustomed to Oz and that will mean very little acclimatization. Also, I've a gut feeling that Kanga will eventually forward these genes onto the world, be it freely or commercially, and that's great too. I know the feeling of upcoming growers who crave these genetics from the best land on the globe for cannabis, so if he can make them happy then that can't be a bad thing. It's the only reason I spent so much in postage and time over the years to spread em out myself without ever asking a cent from anybody. So it would be good to know that my little ones are left in the hands of such a grower.

Whatsmore, I have a few more strains that many would kill for that I have not mentioned that I'd like to pass on for Kanga's perusal. I can forward the info on those and their traits if he does take it up when I send them.

Regarding the MM, I'm not doubting your words whatsoever, but I remain unconvinced that Old Mother Sativa from Kog in Kyogle is the same as Mullumbimby Madness from Kangativa et al. in Mullumbimby. Research suggests that there are significant differences in their lineage, growing characteristics, potency and history. For instance Kangativa has grown MM successfully as far south as Victoria, not so Old Mother Sativa?
I agree, they are not identical genetics, but they are somewhat generic. MullumMadman had access to numerous lines of Mullum that all had slightly varying characteristics. The commonality was that they were all pure sativa and all had become accustomed to Australia, mainly nth nsw and qld... and they were all damn good smoke.

I'd grown MMs in Vic many times but all of them, many year ago. I'd made mention of that many times at OG and elsewhere and added that in recent years our autumns had become unconducive to letting the good long-ish flowering sats finish fully. But up until about 10 years ago, not a problem. Even grew namBlacks and Lumbos in the 70's and 80's that finished immaculate as far south as the Otways and SE Gippsland, and in the heart of Melb and Geelong. Grew many 12'-15' Thais within 15minutes walking distance of the CBD in the years when cops would stand next to them and chat to you without realizing what they were. The latter part of our autumns then were far more tender, warmer and drier than they have been in recent years. Solar sunspot activity perhaps? They will come back one day I feel, but not just now.

Here's an exhaustive post identifying the differences in the various folkloric profiles. I apologise for the length of it. I hope you keep posting here despite your abstinence from smoking. I've always thought the goal of a good smoke was as a yardstick to demonstrate what may be achieved when straight. Anyway this is a pluralistic place and your input is welcome.
I appreciate your hospitality bushy, I really do, but I can tell you that once I've done this, my current task, I will not be returning. I have too many other things on the go and simply won't find the time to post because I do not post simple shit. My posts take time and effort and it's better spent elsewhere by choice and need of others. I'd be happy to keep in touch via emails if you or Kanga wish, but regular foruming... I've done my time mate. May drop in once a blue moon to see what's happening, but then again I may not. Either way, know well that I'll be thumping something hard in some other realm of life be it women in bed, judges in court or politicians wherever I find them.:) Such fun such fun... and I wouldn't have it any other way. All jokes aside Bushy, I've made a life out of helping and saving people and the legacy will not only live on, it will grow bigger than ever before. But to do that means very little time left for myself. Times a foot, people are being killed as we speak due to de facto govts. 4000 men suicide a year in Australia alone from the treatment they get in the family law courts, and that's just touching the tip of the iceberg. Last year, in nsw alone, over 200,000 licenses were lifted due to demerit points. Do you have any idea what kind of an impact that makes on families when the money earner cannot go to work because he was over the limit by a few K on a friggen highway a few times in 3 years and not endangering life or property? Please spare me. That helps to destroy our economy mate. That is a perversion of the cause of justice and a terrorist attack on our communities and economy. Electricity and water will go up by about 300% in the next year, that's straight from the horses mouth if you've been listening to the grape vine. No extra work or resources to produce it, so why the hike? The people allowed them to privatize it all and now they will soon cash in if they're not stopped. And what about smart meters?? They want to install digital meters to monitor your houses electric supply and make you pay for them. Then try growing indoors when the authorities will know exactly how and when all your electricity is used. They already have monitoring software to alert them of 12/12 cycles. And it goes on and on. Mate, people are being done like dinners and just sitting there taking it like sluts, when all they have to do is say NO by collective majority. Heard of a MANDATE? Look it up, it's like a petition with real TEETH and punches. That's it, no guns no blood none of that. Simply no contract. And again... that's just touching the tip of it. Our communities and economy are being devastated by companies masquerading as govt and policing bodies and passing company policies they term as laws and acts that have no Royal Assent by the Queen in the name of profit by deceit. Sorry to say bushy, but from where I stand, there are far more important matters to attend to than growing and smoking dope. But that's just me. I did it, enjoyed it, and for a hell of a long time, but now there's other things that I see as more pressing. You need to be a benevolent man with a sense of social justice to really understand. But it's fine if one isn't, so long as they remember that the world they create their and your children will have to live in. The media and the system may be giving people the impression that they are incapable of making change, but I know that that is another lie. Our leaders are master liars, don't listen to them. Learn the law, you have to live by it, learn it. The truth of it, the hidden parts of it, the inet is overflowing with it. You can even get to the point of paying for all your bills without using money from your own pocket. Learn about your Birth Certificate Trust account. On the net you can find what you need regarding it, search for redemption account and set-off, but you have to learn to decipher the truth from the disinfo. That takes time, which we all have for that, and the more you get into it the more people you'll find who can direct you. There are forums full of such people, freedom forums, search them. I've laid Notice of Claim of Right here, and amongst other things, I can now grow dope or tobacco for my own use anywhere I choose to live in Australia including qld, but I'm not interested now, don't have the time or need or want. Wouldn't you know it.lol But if you do that and they catch you dealing it, watch out, full sentence on every charge, no mercy because they hate you for waking up to their scam to begin with. Fair warning. Same applies to any breach of your claim. Freeman-ship is not easy.

So as I said, I'm here now, but not for long. I'll pop in after a few days to see if you guys are interested, after that, I can't say right now.

As you can see from all this information, it is very difficult to isolate a concise lineage of these strains. I'd love to hear any input you have on this matter, for instance is it possible that more than one high quality North Coast NSW strains exist, that are otherwise called Mullumbimby Madness?

Yes, it is not only possible but a fact. It's got to the point where Mullum is now a generic term used for all top grade pure or near pure sativas that have been grown for years around the Mullumbimby/Hunter-valley region. Kogs is definitely a smaller variety, but can yield as well as any other if grown optimally. Problem was that Kog always grew them guerrilla and they were often at the mercy of the seasonal rains till he could get out and top them up, which isn't the case with Kanga, and that I like.

I can also tell you that that OMS you said was 20'Thai's was neither Thai's nor MullumMadman's but rather a mate of MullumMadman. That's fact. 20' had posted that pic on a few occasions but only as a reference never claiming right to it. Fact again.

In the end Bushy, all that matters is that you have an outstanding genepool, to which all strains that fly under the banner of Mullum are. Don't you get it? It's in the land and environment, not so much the genes. Genes can only take you so far, the rest is up to the grower... where he grows and how he grows. Genes just maintain a signatory vibration of the essence of the spirit of the strain. How it's expressed externally is externally dependent.
:)

As for what others may have said to you about 20', all I can say is that he wasn't a bad bloke. I'm certain that if you'd met him in person you'd think the same. Many in Nimbin know him including some of the cafe owners, you ask there and I think they'll tell you the same. He had some fallouts in the earlier days of OG (1998-2000) when some user tried to get him busted for some unapparent reason, but 20' wised up to it and evaded the whole mess. Apart from that, don't forget, he was a dedicated stoner that use to smoke about a pound per month and never in a joynt, only dope, no other shit not even alcohol, so he always enjoyed a chat. Take it from me, I know him well.lol If we ever talk in private, I'll let you in on more about ol' 20'.

Take care and let me know about the kerns and try not to give me an addy where there is a grow; preferably at a place where there will never be a grow if possible. All we need is a way to privately message one and other and its done.

:)

Kangativa

Veteran
Well guys that was a fantastic read.....I thank you all:tiphat:
Frank you are so right about the season changes, even when I grew in Vic the longest flowering strains nearly finished before the snow came. Even here now the rains still come late in the season...but that is mother nature, she has been changing herself for millions of years and will continue to do so for another million.
Frank that is a fantastic offer and I am humbled that you have chosen me:tiphat: You can be sure that they will be looked after and grown with plenty of love and with the help of a few good friends here keep the strains alive.:gday:

bushweed

Veteran
This is an MM clone that is incidentally the mother of MMb Big Mullum. MM characteristically grows as a giant overblown xmas tree, but sativa clones often develop as tri-branched hydras. This is but a single branch...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MM father....
picture.php

Young cut of Big Mullum....
picture.php

Joeski

wow definately brings me back to the OG days... i use to love Mullum Madmans Posts.. anybody remember his partner in that seed business The Penguin? pengys aussie bush and purple sativa strains? i was lucky enough to grow some of these out in Vic but never had any luck finishing them... also anybody remember another strain MM grew called Elephant Killer? he had a couple others as well but im at a loss for the names right now.

Kangativa

Veteran
Very nice job Kanga! How is the TOK going?

Hey mate thanx, Welcome to IC, its good to see you here....so are we going to see some nice bud porn ....lol.

I have just got back from OS so I havent started it yet, but it is on the list for this season
icon10.gif

Hey mate if you get up 50 posts we can PM.

Kangativa

Veteran
its on for summer Kanga;)
lets see some 20' - 30's

Lol.......I wish:) Dont know mate we will have to see. I am working out what I am going to plant at the moment that isnt of my stock, Nevs haze is on the list, I hear that can get big.
Someone I met said they havent seen a big Kali Mist for awhile, so that is on the list.

bushweed

Veteran
Kanga's MM/WW - a cross with incredible synergy, producing a clear soaring high
picture.php

MMxWW, MMxMG, OHxWW ...
picture.php

Structurally, this one impressive plant, check the stem on it...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php