What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KaliChina and more...

Hey brother mayan, hows that mal x kc coming along? Should be starting to get intresting soon?

Gonna run a few outdoors this year, so im very interested to see how yours develops and any other info you'd like to share!

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Purple Haze x Malawi - Getting There

Purple Haze x Malawi - Getting There

Hello, bandit60001...Every thing is topsy turvy...what I mean by that is that I put the Mal x KC and the Purple Haze x Mal under flower at the same time. Both were from clones that were taken on the same day. Both were started under 12/12 at about 3 or 4 inches.

And all the rest of alla yas...How the hell ya doing? At this point, getting close to 70 days in, the Mal x KC is this spindly thang with -for want of a better word- whoofy buds. Not at all a big producer although the flowering sites are prolific. I don't have a photo of it at this point as it's a many-tentacled chtulhu thing and would be hard to move - without girding my loins for a wrestling match.It seems to be beginning to put some meat on the bones. Reminds me A LOT of the Zamaldelica - but I had always thought that was the Zamal. In my experience both the KC and the Mal have been heavy producers of remarkably dense bud. Looks like I could go for another year or two. What do I know?

OTOH, the Purple Haze x Malawi - the plant that I thought would look like the Mal x KC - with little wispy buds - is the exact opposite. Spindly yes...but with very substantial buds. The bud sites aren't as prolific. Also, I have to say...the buds are beginning to look like they are getting there. I figure it could certainly go longer - I was expecting it to go another 30 or so days when I first planned the grow- but I'm not so sure. I'm not in a hurry and it's possible that the flowering comes in waves but at this point it's not throwing a lot of pistils. The trichs are pretty well cloudy, a few are clear and it looks like there's a little tiny smattering of amber but very minimal. I welcome thoughts from those who have grown this out. I know the wisdom is the longer the better with these deep sats. She reminds me A LOT of the Mal x PCK. She has a very hashy, spicy thing going on. Delcious.

I note that the odd shape was not to my liking...there was one branch -probably the meristem- that just wouldn't behave. I could have left her at full extension but she would have been close to the iK light and I figured that if I bent her, I could get the rest of the branches closer while avoiding heat stress.

Here's the PHxMal in all her ragged glory. I apologize for the quality of the pics - took 'em quick as the camera's battery was about to go. Enjoy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PHxM 3.jpg
    PHxM 3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PHxM Bud_1.jpg
    PHxM Bud_1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PHxM Bud_2.jpg
    PHxM Bud_2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 11

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Quick Question

Quick Question

Hey, Ace-oids...how ya doing? Will a clone typically finish in an appreciaably shorter time than the same pheno started from seed? If so, days? Weeks?

My short, demure Golden Tiger, started from clone and looking more Malawi than Thai in my eyes- is looking pretty well done at 95 days under 12/12. Any body have any thoughts? My last GT (looking Thai and started from seed) went 15 weeks plus. Thanks so much!

Aye there mayan!
That phxmal you got looks tasty! Would love to smell her in person.

To answer your ?, my last run I ran clones of every strain along with the plants they came from. Everything from clone finished 1.5 -2.5 weeks sooner for me

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Thanks, bandit60001...very helpful!

Actually, it's a topsy-turvy world. I just took down the Purple Haze x Mal. The good news is - she looks insanely tasty. The bad news is - she started pushing out nanners quicker than I could grab 'em. She's about 12 weeks in and she -too- is looking quite done. As to the sudden turn towards hermie...I don't have a clue. The Golden Tiger is all girl as are the other plants I have going so far. This is the second Haze plant that has hermied recently. OTOH, she was always kind of sickly. There was strange shit going on with her leaves from about the fourth week of flowering. I was concerned it was some kinda fungus although most of my more experienced friends that it was nutritional. I didn't like it at all - but none of the other plants were showing any of the same signs. So-perhaps it was just stressed from the get-go. Whatever...I am definitely gonna give this one another chance. Soon!!

The Golden Tiger - on second look- looks like she might go another week or so. As Tom Petty sang, "the waiting is the hardest part."

The KaliChxMal is just plain cuh-razy. She was the other clone that I put in with the Purple Haze x Malawi, lo' those many days ago. She's just beginning to put weight on what are otherwise very sparse buds. It will be interesting to see how she does over the next month or so.

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Purp Haze x Malawi - Rest in Pieces

Purp Haze x Malawi - Rest in Pieces

Hey all!!!! How ya doing!?!?

So...as I was saying above, I took down the Purp Haze x Malawi prematurely - perhaps, at about 80 days, due to her spitting out nanners at a rate that challenged my comfort zone. (I can see how this could have been due to stress, she struggled mightily after the last transplant.) Still, she looked pretty damn close to finishing. At any rate...I'm pleased to say that I partook of a small sample and she is wondrous. Definitely leaning steeply toward the psychedelic. Warm...and potent. Very! And long lasting. Very, very special - I will be seeking a second grow with this strain very soon.

Here's some bud shots while being put into jars.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PHxMal Bud4.jpg
    PHxMal Bud4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 15
  • PHxMal Bud3.jpg
    PHxMal Bud3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Fire OG from  Dark Heart Nursery
    Fire OG from Dark Heart Nursery
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
  • PHxMal Bud2.jpg
    PHxMal Bud2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PHxMal Bud1.jpg
    PHxMal Bud1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 15
B

Baron Greenback

Nice work, considering that short flowering period, they look lovely. Can almost smell them from here :)

rlsmooth

This plant is a huge giver with just 400hps. Earthy/wooden pheno was cut today after 56 days of flowering, will post nugget pics when dry. Too bad temperatures were closer to 30c than 20, still very dänk smell and dingers are sticky from resin. More ace in da future

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Golden Tiger on the Loose

Golden Tiger on the Loose

Well...maybe Golden Kitty. She has made the Great Change...taken down at about 105 days of 12/12. As discussed above, she grew entirely differently than the other Golden Tiger. Have not sampled yet...can't wait. There's very little gland activity on the leaves but the buds are just shellacked with trichs. Will try to get some more pictures after the drying.

In the meantime...enjoy!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• GT_BudA.jpg
    GT_BudA.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 13
  • GT_Whole.jpg
    GT_Whole.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 14
  • GT_branchA.jpg
    GT_branchA.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 15
  • GT_Bud.jpg
    GT_Bud.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 14

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Baron and dubi...This conversation is fascinating on so many different levels. BTW, I just read a very interesting article on beta-caryophyllene - one of the terpenes - that leads me to think (if it's to be believed) that it could very well be quite important and terms of shaping the effect and even cancer treatment. Just passing it on. At some point, I would like to start testing for the terpenes (at least the major ones), as well. While the reductionists try to isolate a molecule and reproduce it, I'm convinced that our eyes must be cast toward the synergy of the whole. Undoubtedly THC and CBD are the bigs but by themselves they tell us very little -at least at this point. Thanks, dubi, for giving us so much to work with.

Hi mayan,

It's a never ending learning process .... the modern cannabinoid and terpene analysis help us to understand better the organoleptic and psychoactive chemistry of the plant, but i'm still amazed with the great variability found in cannabis, there are so many variations, differences and possibilities even when comparing strains with similar chemotype or with similar presence of terpenes, i think we are missing something, probably more terpenes or more active substances we are not aware of.

Or most probably the synergy between all the variables (cannabinoids and dozens of terpenes) is so complex that we will need decades to fully understand most of the possible combinations.

BTW, very interesting the small GT female. Golden Tiger has been bred to have an explosive african/thai sativa hybrid vigor as you experienced before, but if you grow enough plants there are also early flowering Malawi phenos to be found in the line with very little stretching compared with the other taller and most frequent phenos.

My favourite GT phenos are a bit like the one MadMac has recently posted, with heavy thai influence, longer flowering time, big yields, lemony resinous terpenes, and super strong psychedelic and long lasting effect that brings you to a new world.

The Purple Haze Malawi flower looks super yummy :yummy:
Would love to hear about her aromas.

Thanks mayan! :thank you:

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Hello all you out there in deepest Aceland!! A quick report from the front - just vaped a sample of the mini-me Golden Tiger as I get her ready for the cure. What can I say? It's a magnificent electric and yet relaxed state. Soaaring and expansive mind. Not at all a couch-lock - I am ready to spring into action at any moment and yet I am currently absolutely content to sit and look at the neon molecular-chains in the wall. Fascinating! Body sensations are lovely. Warm and electric. Go figure...Takes a lot of concentration to type.

A remarkable plant. Solid bud down to the bottom of each branch. I'll try to get a pic or three when I start deconstructing her. I have to get to know her better...I can't quite articulate her scents or tastes. But, phew! She backs a wallop. I'm off to see if I can play any music. Ciao!

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Golden Tiger Stripped!

Golden Tiger Stripped!

So...as promised, just for the record...Here's the miniTiger on her way to the jars.

attachment.php

Incidentally, I'm having trouble identifying an issue causing leaf damage on a non-Ace plant (an Alice from the Delicatessen folk). I posted in the infirmary...If any of y'all want to hazard a guess it's under a new thread entitled Leaf Damage...No Clue.

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• GTC.jpg
    GTC.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 14

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Great thread guys! I just read through both KC threads on main page. So much great information posted for the rest of us to consider and learn from. I have 1 GT outside still. From seeing the pics I better get it inside under 12/12 this weekend. I have a 9' ceiling and it looks like GT can eat that up in a hurry. Peace

The Hatter

Veteran
I've been away for a few years and it's nice to return to find an awesome Mayan grow journal waiting for me with all sorts of new strains and shiny photos. As always, thanks for sharing. Your plants are as beautiful as always, and it looks like I need to pick up some of those new limited releases.

There is a lot of knowledge to be found here in the Ace forums when it comes to land race and tropical sativa cultivation. I've been part of the medical cannabis community for years now and I must say that this area of cannabis cultivation really is not very well known or researched in that community, so it's nice to have a place like this with so many knowledgeable people to learn from. Seriously, if you go ask one of the local master medical growers what you should do about an IBL tropical sativa strain that won't stop stretching after 9 weeks strait they just look at you like you have two heads.

Anyway, it's just nice to see some of the old familiar faces are still here and spreading good vibes and knowledge. Best of luck to you and the rest of the good folks that tend to hang around this forum.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I don't have any strait Kali China going this year. I do have four or five crosses of it now. I will post up some pictures this weekend. Happy growing my friends. Peace
Welcome back to the forums Hatter!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Kali China crosses

Kali China crosses

Here is a few pictures of my Kali China crosses.
Angola x Kali China.
NepJam x Kali China.
Kali China x Malawi.
Zamaldelica x Kali China.
Well that's all I have for Kali China genetics going right now. I will try and post a few pictures when they are in flowering. There will be more updates in farmerlions first greenhouse grow thread here in Ace forums. Have a great week and happy growing. Peace :tiphat:

The Hatter

Veteran
Farmerlion, that is one amazing line up you have there, and they look like they are thriving beautifully in these photos. I would love to hear how they turned out in the end.

I have been kicking myself ever since I missed grabbing the Nep Jam x Kali China before it sold out, but I won't be making the same mistake with the Zam x KC.