What's new

Just learned what a fan speed controller really is, and what is costs

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
What would you guys recommend for a 115v 50/60 hz 14/11w PC fan. I have a dimmer for a ceiling fan but it hums fairly loud when hooked up to this. Thanks

I have mentioned this before:

You will need a DC voltage controller or the humming will continue.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I guess I didn't add that it's an AC fan....it's about five inches and is going to be eventually used for a small flouro powered mom/veg cabinet. Running it full blast is a bit much although I can rig it up with a t-stat if need be. I have a few of them so it would be cool to get them set up and working quietly.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I guess I didn't add that it's an AC fan....it's about five inches and is going to be eventually used for a small flouro powered mom/veg cabinet. Running it full blast is a bit much although I can rig it up with a t-stat if need be. I have a few of them so it would be cool to get them set up and working quietly.

No you didn't say AC before, you said:

What would you guys recommend for a 115v 50/60 hz 14/11w PC fan. I have a dimmer for a ceiling fan but it hums fairly loud when hooked up to this. Thanks

Most PC fans I know of run off of DC usually off a 5V line from the power supply. Now you can get ac adaptors to run fans like that off of AC but I've never heard of a "PC" fan being designed to run off of AC.

What it boils down to is this though when you put a dimmer switch / variable resistor on a device you're basically creating a way to take away some of the current the device being controlled sees. To make a comparisson to fuel and combustion engines it would be like being able to adjust the quality of fuel from high grade all the way down to trying to run off of a 5th of Jack Daniels. On the low end it can still work but it's alot harder on your engine. Same with electricity, turn the current down and a device will still work but not as well as it was designed for, that's why you get humming and other side effects.

It's a 115v PC style rack fan for cooling computer equipment, not an inboard computer fan. I though that was implied after saying i hooked it up to a ceiling fan dimmer.

Can something this low of wattage be ran off the router speed controller?

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
I don't know man fans designed and built for growing purposes are cheap and quiet and offer years of reliable service...personally I would not bother risking losing my crop (or worse house or where ever you grow if that McGyver thing catches on fire) to a failing home built contraception.

PS/edit: or draw unnecessary attention if your grow is in a non state legal place.

herewego

...personally I would not bother risking losing my crop (or worse house or where ever you grow if that McGyver thing catches on fire) to a failing home built contraception.

McGyver fan...thats just great. That guy used to break out of places like trapped elevator shafts with nothing but a match, a pen and a telephone book. lol

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
McGyver fan...thats just great. That guy used to break out of places like trapped elevator shafts with nothing but a match, a pen and a telephone book. lol

macgyver2rs.png