What's new

Just learned what a fan speed controller really is, and what is costs

herewego

So im real curious and do a good amount of online retail with odds and ends, and get a lot of it from china. For the last 6 months or so i have been trying to figure out how to recreate my 'fan speed controller' that i bought on ebay for $25.

I looked into all the tech specs and determined that it must be being made for some other purpose, no way htgsupply is putting these things together. So after a good amount of guess and check i catch a break on some website. So i turn out Drillmaster 43060

http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

Turns out this stupid controller was for a router, and sells for 19 online compared to 25-42 on ebay.

Now the really aggravating part is i can get them FOB China for $6.9 each, but i need to order 500. Would cost me about 10 bucks each to my door. I looked around on ebay and there are over 600 sold on there so far, all at $25+....so people have made 6k on fan speed controller in last 6 mos-yr just on ebay.

only in last few weeks someone else figured this out and a couple guys sell them on ebay now. Id love to get my hands on 100 or so to remarket, but 500 is a few too many for me..

Just cant believe no one else has thought to track these down or figure out what they were to lower the cost on something that regulates your power.

Now im curious, what do you spend over $20 on that either needs to be modified to be better (ideally) ?
think it costs too much for what it is ?
What would be a handy product to make your life easier ?

Looking to create a little here in my spare time while caring for the growth, someone was first to invent a power trimmer, somone else with the speed controller....any thoughts ?

Ideally lightweight and small, easy to ship, thanks just hadda rant this out there, hate someone beating me to the punch lol

T

TrichyTrichy

there's always a 20 percent off code for Harbor Freight avail. google or bing it
picture.php

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
There was a LOT of math in that first post... take it to the Growroom Equipment forum if you're going to go all Stephen Hawking on us...

:D

... yeah it might cost you a whole new fan.

... yeah it might cost you a whole new fan.

With my experience and reading other experiences with fan speed controllers, I feel that the $25~ you spend is not worth the burnt and dead $300+ fan. If the dimmer works then maybe one of those hi,medium,low ceiling fan controllers would work. Then you could use the light switch part to turn on and off your lights. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

cannadelic

the vortex type centrifugal fans we use in grow rooms take a certain amount of juice to start them up especially when the fan speed controller is set to LOW, the cheap dimmer switches are NOT adequate for the task of firing up the fan properly & so the result might be a fire right @ the switch.

those $25 (sold on eBay & elsewhere) fan switches are the correct and only switch to use for centrifugal type fans.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Since you think the mark-up on that controller is bad...you don't want to know about many other things.

And since we are on a weedsite...you would lose your faith in God if you knew how bad (most) growing related items are marked up!

Then again - as you already have found out - if you need only one or two items of whatever...then paying that extra buck or two is not that bad.

Try importing from out of the country, then you'll know what's really up.

I

Iron_Lion

Here is a little insight from someone that used to own a retail store, the mark up is usually 100%. meaning you buy for $10 you sell for 20, yes there may be exceptions for the rule but this is usualy how it works. The mark up covers overhead expenses, the less overhead you have = more profit.

herewego

There was a LOT of math in that first post... take it to the Growroom Equipment forum if you're going to go all Stephen Hawking on us...

:D

lol i do it for a living i cant help it, figured this was a forum it wouldnt get moved from as everyone hates paying for something. At least you see my aggrivation now, spending months knowing that someone was making that for some other purpose other then the speed controller of an inline fan.

Just can't believe it was for a router...

and no the dimmer switch wont work as already mentioned, it cant handle the few amps that the fan pulls.

edit- you should have seen what my high ass typed here before lol

Iron_lion/strain hunter i know the deal and import here and there, but im sure you both know the feeling of wanting to know where to find where something, or who makes it, but not knowing what the hell its called to track it down. never the less im glad other people have to deal with it too lol

Last edited:

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Whats ReAlLy Up MaN??

Starting with import duties, handling fees, broker fees, storage fees, believe me or not homeland security charges, a container being held in customs w/o telling why and/or for how long, exchange rate variations (yes some places in China want their goods paid in Euro, not US$), warranty handling procedures, warehouse fees, etc. blah blah.....

Price differences between online only sellers and brick and stone stores is also something to deal with.

There is not one single major supplier in the US anyone can get a contract with if the retailer cannot show proof of an actual store and not selling online online only (Internet store, Ebay).

The above and a lot more is what is included in the mark up the customer is paying.

:wave:

herewego

Starting with import duties, handling fees, broker fees, storage fees, believe me or not homeland security charges, a container being held in customs w/o telling why and/or for how long, exchange rate variations (yes some places in China want their goods paid in Euro, not US$), warranty handling procedures, warehouse fees, etc. blah blah.....

:wave:

This is very true. Many a friend of mine have had containers held for weeks paying storage, and many others go down there to buy the ones people forfeit everyday for not paying the dues that were due. They need to find a better way to ship items from there to here, almost like a middleman for chinese electronics. You can buy digital ballasts over there for 60-70 bucks but costs another 60 a unit to ship them here. We just need to get back to having real factories in the usa to make all this stuff, give everybody a job and keep the money in the country...

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

We just need to get back to having real factories in the usa to make all this stuff, give everybody a job and keep the money in the country...

Perfectly agreed.

Problem is getting something manufactured in the USA (in many cases) costs the same that item would retail for here in the US when made in China.

So guess where everyone is getting their stuff made in order to make a profit.

BudToaster

Veteran
@herewego -- you might have been able to get a sample unit from the china supplier for $6.90, but the DHL would have been $25.

i'm trying to finish development of my vaporizer and i find working with India and China suppliers is easier than dealing with US companies.

For example, i need to know the thickness of the glass used in a borosilicate glass test tube. The US company says this info is proprietary (WTF?) and the India company publishes the data online. no brainer choice, eh?

herewego

@herewego -- you might have been able to get a sample unit from the china supplier for $6.90, but the DHL would have been $25.

i'm trying to finish development of my vaporizer and i find working with India and China suppliers is easier than dealing with US companies.

For example, i need to know the thickness of the glass used in a borosilicate glass test tube. The US company says this info is proprietary (WTF?) and the India company publishes the data online. no brainer choice, eh?

Nah i can get the units here for $10-$10.50 a unit to my door, i do this all the time. Mostly herbal supplements and other misc smaller items that can ship 100 a box for $50 by ems, delivered by usps up to 70lbs.

Yea the easiest way of making something like that is to find something that works and modify it, or i guess ask the indians. The only problem is anything that weighs more then a few pounds cost too much to import unless it goes by container. Now if i wanted to bring in 2000 digital ballasts in a 20ft container, no problem but id have to lay out 100k to get them here.

Strain Hunter - yea man i know the cycle, it just sucks. Deficit and debt is going to eat us alive and have us default on our interest payments inside of the next 7-12 years blowing out the whole system. I'll stay away from the technicalities of it as not to infuriate myself and everyone else lol But yeah unless we start producing something the debt in relation to gdp will be the end of us sooner then later.
You can make it here production wise, but you need to operate on a very large scale most people wont take the risk for, and we no longer have the million plus dollars in machines inside of these factories so initial factory cost far offsets anyone actually doing it, and people just order from overseas. But when more money leaves the country then comes in, were doomed...elections and policies in next couple years will be the deciding factor on our economic futures, ive been working more and more everyday on ways to live off the grid when it hits the fan. At least i know i'll be one of the few locals to still have my plants ! Actually i still have to study outdoor growing some more in the future lol

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

Surprise buddy!

Worry about getting your Patent for your vap first because if you don't there will be another surprise waiting for you!
(which one that is I will let you find out yourself)
For starters:
http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/index.jsp

Oh and I hope you have 100K+ in your bank account. Not only for your patent but also for the first 10,000 units you will have to pre-pay @ your factory of choice because if you don't (can't) do that they will want all rights on your re-invented wheel!
wink.gif

Once you have over come the above you will find out "working with India and China suppliers is easier than dealing with US companies." is not entirely the way you think it is.
;)

BudToaster

Veteran
is not entirely the way you think it is.

i find nothing ever is. maybe a design patent, but all the details are open source. i don't see patents offering any protection, so my business model assumes chinese copies. Actually, i'd be flattered.

Latest posts

Latest posts