What's new

Just a bit of backyard fun in the sun

Tynehead Tom

well.... things are rolling right along, seedlings are all growing with fantastic vigor and the two mutantish Azure Rockets are coming around and are earning their spots.
I have 3 males from my end of February seed start that I've made seed with and need to keep them around so they are joining the ladies for now outside and are out there hardening off.
***EDIT because I changed my mind again LOLZ
so my window for popping any more beans in right now LOL so I am letting my compulsive disorder take control and I'm putting down 6 of my own creation LMZ (shiskaberry x Nuken(aka shiskaberry x godbud) and 5 beans from the Green House fem indica mix, those coloured seed freebies from seedbay and another awesome seedbay freebie 10 seed pack of BOG Blue Kush.
indica fem mix includes :
1 El Nino
1 Big Bang
1 AMS
2 Church

will definitely have to start light dep on the GH seeds by end of 1st week july LOL
gonna be a fun summer :D
might pop 6 Blowfish f2's before the night is out but I'm trying to restrain myself hahaha

Tynehead Tom

well, it's been almost 5 days and zero action on the Greenhouse seeds indica freebies.
2 out of 10 Bog blue kush seedbay freebies cracked after the soak and 2 days of paper towels, but nothing above the soil yet on any of those. It's not looking good for any of those :( bummer.
There is some signs of life on the soil surface of a couple of the LMZ seeds I put down so hopefully everything is just slow and I actually get some plants out of this 21 seed pop LOL
Got a bunch of pics to clean up of the plants outside and in other news.... took a bunch of clones last week from KPA and Shiskaberry 3 f2 and have 7 KPA rooted and potted and 2 Shiskaberry 3 f2 rooted and potted. Will give em a few days and outside they go.
will drop some pics in a bit.

Tynehead Tom

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

C

chris harris

Hey man, tagging along if you don't mind. I'm at the same latitude as you, next province over, and trying a few outdoors for the first time. So I'll watch, and try to learn a few things from you. Everything looks good.

Tynehead Tom

yup welcome aboard man ;)

it will be interesting to see what finishes on it's own and what will need light depravation and heating in the late season.
Black Tuna, OJSDKB and purplelazerlite are all 9+ week flowering so I'll have to start light dep in july , that or rig up a real good heating system in the greenhouse.
Shiskaberry might just finish on it's own , KPA and swordfish are an unkown, LMZ might finish on it's own, azure rocket and auto betty warp are , well, autos LOL so gonna watch those closely.
will keep up with the weekly updates.
I've been on constant storm watch every day for past couple weeks. Weather changes every 10 minutes and high winds took out my partially built hoop house so I've constructing something much more sturdy. Don't need it till July but wish I had it now as life for the seedlings would be improved.

good luck to everyone this season!!

Last edited:
C

chris harris

Have to agree with you on the weather. Fucking raining hard almost every day here for the last month. I'm constantly moving them in and out. Just finished building a cheap little clear covered lean to, so wouldn't have to move them all the time. Going to do same as you and put them in a shed for light dep, 8pm to 8 am.
Question for you. I'm using black pots similar to what you got there. You ever have problems with root temps in those? Seems those baking in the sun, things would get quite hot, especially being black. Was going to wrap them, or nothing to worry about?

Tynehead Tom

Have to agree with you on the weather. Fucking raining hard almost every day here for the last month. I'm constantly moving them in and out. Just finished building a cheap little clear covered lean to, so wouldn't have to move them all the time. Going to do same as you and put them in a shed for light dep, 8pm to 8 am.
Question for you. I'm using black pots similar to what you got there. You ever have problems with root temps in those? Seems those baking in the sun, things would get quite hot, especially being black. Was going to wrap them, or nothing to worry about?

The black pots are temporary. Long way to the hardware store in town and heading there this weekend for more totes. I would agree that in the midst of summer, those black pots might not be ideal, especially the smaller ones, they dry out fast for sure.
I'm behind getting everything potted up but after a supply run tomorrow I should have everything the way I want it for the season.

Tynehead Tom

here's how I do my totes.

regardless of size, these are 18 gallon , holes are 5/8inch , around base of sides and patterned on bottom.
picture.php

then I line them with plastic window screen to cover the holes so bugs can't get in.
picture.php

works great and can also be set into a hole, lined with gravel or rocks to allow for drainage and a bit more security/protection for the pot and root system.
One thing I don't like about the totes is they are quite flexable so when moving them you have to be careful. These will all get set on small pallets I can lift and move with a 2 wheel dolly when needed.

gorilla ganja

Wow, things are looking good. Will be interesting to see which trigger by themselves without light dep.
Is that KPA the one you started from seed or a clone of it?
Those holes look perfectly spaced do you measure and mark each hole or are you just that good.

Can we get a pic of the mountain plants when you get a chance?

Keep up the good work.

Peace GG

Tynehead Tom

The KPA , there are two of them, the main plant in the 18 gallon tote by the ATV tire in the pics and in front of it to the left is it's top that I air layered into a clone.
I have I think 8 rooted and potted clones of it almost ready to go out as well. will keep one as a new mom and grow the rest outside.

The holes, guess I'm that good ? LOL no measuring, just done crap loads of them over the years. one of my nahatlach plots had 150 of those totes recessed into holes dug in the ground along a creek bed. was awesome till the recent big fires burned the area to ash. Oh well, got 14 years out of that spot :D

ya, I'll try and get some pics for ya , I don't have high hopes for those as they have been nothing but pounded by heavy rain, hail and shitty weather since I went to check them after the last major storm system went thru. fingers crossed and full attention to the backyard so I at least get some results for my troubles LOL

corky1968

Veteran
You can also cover the sides of your black pots with straw,hay,cattails,wildgrasses,leaves,etc. for now.

Tynehead Tom

well, I took a cruise up to my mountain plots and was met with total devastation. ! plant out of 50 was standing proud, maybe 6 or 7 are alive but not worth putting any effort into.
Most of the plants are molded up and smashed into the ground. Some of the holes have 4 inches or so of the soil washed out from the storms and silly heavy rains.
Those plants got smashed by super high winds, multiple hail storms, thunder showers.... was nice the week I put them out, then 10 days of hell . Next year I wait till June 25th to put any plants out in the bush.

It's an acceptable loss, very little effort went into those plants. The plots are good and I'll amend them and cover them over for next year or I might just grab a wack of clones and late plant them.... we'll see. The hard work is done tho and the holes are ready for next season. My plan is to dig and prep 5 more holes at each location over summer each season until I have 25 holes in each plot. 1 hole is 1/2 a bale of sunshine mix + ammendments so it's a shit tonne of work for a broken guy like me.... and I'm long past having any partners.

Outside in the backyard is coming along very well and I'll do a photo op tomorrow or next day. I'm bustin my ass out there today finishing greenhouse and moving everyone into their locations. Been hot and sunny here for a few days now and the plants are putting it to good use ;)

rockymountainJ

Damn tom!! That sucks about your plot!! Good thing you aren't relying on it!! Cheers man hope u have better luck in ur backyard!!

Tynehead Tom

Clones to save the day... I've planted as late as August

ya, I do have a couple trays of shiskaberry clones I could get 1/2 the holes filled up there. I've done lots of late planting clones in the backyard over the years :D

the mountain plot was just a test to learn this environment. All my outdoor over the past bunch of years has been 5 hours south of me at 1/2 the elevation. It's a learning experience in the new location and a gamble with the weather. I think about RMJ up at 9000ft and I shudder LOL mountain weather can be a bitch any time of year.

So next year, the plants will need cages for sure and planted 2 weeks later, allowing for 10 weeks of indoor veg instead of the 8 they got this year. The seeds I am using are a outdoor strain a friend gave me. I have a baby food jar full of them, a few thousand I think. They are fems he made by reversing a-frame onto another outdoor that has been grown up here for years called Landcruiser. Lots more beans to try.
While it's a write off this year, I learned enough to refine things for next year. I was just gonna bubble hash the whole crop anyways LOL

gorilla ganja

Too bad about the mountain plot. I was looking forward to seeing how the landcruiser was going to finish up North. Hopefully the survivors live and give you a clue as to how they will perform on the mountain.

Peace GG

Tynehead Tom

Landcruiser has been grown here for decades apparently , but the S1 with the a-frame is my buddies concoction so was kinda eager to see those grow out. No biggie tho, the garden in the backyard is far more important to my stash. late planting clones in those trashed plant holes might be possible so gonna play that by ear. They would need a week or so of veg under the 1000 to bump em up so we'll see.

full steam ahead with the backyard and i'll get some pics up over next couple days.

Tynehead Tom

Okay, big update, lots of pics.
Greenhouse is up , plants are in and only thing left is finishing touches. Bottom 2 feet of sides opens up for ventilation on hot days. Top Apex in the trusses at each end is open for air flow.
I'm going to park a pick up truck camper beside the one end and it will be used as a light dep chamber for some of the plants in normal pots that I want to finish early.
Okay, enough typing , here's the pics, enjoy!
and feel free to tell me what ya think
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php