What's new

Jujitsu anyone.......

How about we hear a few positive things related to Herb and BJJ.

Do any of you have a favorite variety to smoke before a good roll session?

How about a favorite strain to relax after training?

DarthFader1

Veteran
Just saw Tyron Woodley. He not as big as on tv.

Hahaha that's awesome. What is he, like 5ft 10 or something?

They just announced Woodley V Thompson which has the potential to be a barn burner!! I know a lot of ppl don't like Woodley ( he does come across as a bit entitled imo) but he reminds me of the Rumble Johnson of the 170 division with that power bomb right hand.

Well im gona be watching just like all the other UFC events, who else in?

DarthFader1

Veteran
I wonder if Woodley will get outclassed in the striking dept and resort to his wrestling background? That's probably the biggest question for me from this fight

darth

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
My triangle used to be my worst technique.

I was watching an old video of myself where I can remember that I really wanted a triangle but didnt get into position properly.

It's kinda weird watching a video from 4 years ago seeing your mistakes in a "winning" match.

What had happened was...

We were all just hanging in the park and a wrestling session breaks out. I would give my opinions here and there throughout the session but I didnt plan on getting in the ring.

All the while there was one other semi trained individual that would give his counter opinions on my perspectives. Eventually the crowd paired us up. We shook hands... and its on...

First off, we're on concrete so Im limited in what I can do. Even a leg hook or a body fold might be too much impact, at this point in my training all I really had was the guard pull.

So we're feeling each other out but he did t really want to engage and was really just stopping me from clinching. With a little bit of push/pull play, I was able to get him to over commit a little and sat down into closed guard easily.

He immediately went to post both hands on my face to try and stand up. I swam my arms in, pulled him down with my legs and kept a grip on the back of his neck with my right hand.

Eventually, I pushed both hands to one side (the right) scooted my hips out to the left. He was off balance so both ankles came up to my hips as he went to stand up...

So now Im mounted on him his legs came up to try and wrap around my body and pull be back. I wasnt low enough to keep control of my mount and he basically slips out from under me and I end up in a weird open guard with my right leg over his shoulder and my left leg stuck in the middle.

I was so close to my first real live triangle but yet so far. I realized that I had full control of his right wrist freed my left leg and at the same time I tapped the ground instead of his hip, slapped on the armlock and we went belly down.

The other day I was rolling with an old buddy and was having such a different experience with the technique. It got to the point I would just try to go from triangle to armlock to triangle.

Pm me if you wanna watch it.

Sorry for the wall, but if feel my jj fire rekindling.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Day one at a real school went well.

Didnt get tapped out or swept.

Actually the guy I was rolling with was told to stop letting me do whatever I wanted.
Got pretty close to a cross collar choke but I couldnt get him.

Some pretty sick guard passing I did.

Got mount at least twice.

I got in trouble because I put a kneebar on a bluebelt but Im not supposed to do kneebars. I forgot.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I really like this coach. He showed me 2 tweaks to the armlock from guard and I can feel a whole different level of control now. Its crazy, as a purely at home student I feel like I benefited so much from such a small change.

I honestly didnt mean to go for the kneebar. I was in his open guard and he was grabbing my pants to hook sweep or maybe double ankle. I was holding his right foot with my left hand and stepping back to avoid being swept. I kinda dont even know how I got turned around but I just saw a postion I was familiar with and dove on it. I didnt even have full control of the leg and never applied any pressure.

Overall it was an amazing experience and I was able roll with a blue belt at an actual school and swim.

I wanna see how long I can keep this white belt while tweaking as many techniques as possible.

The course I took was purely gracie self defense jj and was no gi. What gi chokes do I need to get down to have a decent gi game?

When I was rolling with the blue belt I was able to get a decent knee on belly, but he was chicken winging his arm so well I couldn't get to try an armlock or anything. I need a gi choke from knee on belly.

Whats something pretty high pecentage and not too risky?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
What gi chokes do I need to get down to have a decent gi game?

When I was rolling with the blue belt I was able to get a decent knee on belly, but he was chicken winging his arm so well I couldn't get to try an armlock or anything. I need a gi choke from knee on belly.

Whats something pretty high pecentage and not too risky?
Baseball choke or papercutter choke. those are great from top-side-control or knee-on-belly.

Bow-and-Arrow choke is good if you have their back.

dont forget the basic cross-collar choke. you can hit it from mount, side-control, knee-on-belly, or from guard or half-guard

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I don't even really know how to do a cross collar choke. I just use it to threaten the neck and maybe get an arm to expose itself. I can hold my mount with one hand in the collar. Thing is at my new school that's one of the first techniques to get a stripe. So I they all know it.

The last time I went to a school for a free class a few years back a 3 stripe slapped a collar choke on me so fast. I didn't even know how to break a grip.

I was thinking baseball bat and cross collar need to be drilled.

My gf and training partner made this and it cracked me up

picture.php

Joint Lock

I don't even really know how to do a cross collar choke. I just use it to threaten the neck and maybe get an arm to expose itself. I can hold my mount with one hand in the collar. Thing is at my new school that's one of the first techniques to get a stripe. So I they all know it.

The last time I went to a school for a free class a few years back a 3 stripe slapped a collar choke on me so fast. I didn't even know how to break a grip.

I was thinking baseball bat and cross collar need to be drilled.

My gf and training partner made this and it cracked me up

View Image
Don't u love going to a new school and being pushed back to whitebelt . Everyones system is different but the same . Basically every where has a instructors who have secrets on escapes and position and sweeps or transitions . Which makes sense to me .

i.e: Bluebelt learn a choke and escape . Then u goto a new school and learn the same choke . But the instructor there teaches u the original escape . Then shows u a few other escapes that work better .So to me its well worth it to me to go back and start from the beginning . Never know what u missed .Everyones jits is different. Just request to roll with bluebelts or purple belts who are on your skill level . A real instructor will see your advanced and put u with the right ppl to test your skills instead of dominate your roll partner . Who will probably be a very frustrated person unless u let him learn from u . baseball choke is decent for those who wear gi's cross collar choke I love if it presents itself . but most the time u cross collar someone they end up with ripped collar on their shirt . unles su get a large handful of the collar from both hands

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Don't u love going to a new school and being pushed back to whitebelt . Everyones system is different but the same . Basically every where has a instructors who have secrets on escapes and position and sweeps or transitions . Which makes sense to me .

i.e: Bluebelt learn a choke and escape . Then u goto a new school and learn the same choke . But the instructor there teaches u the original escape . Then shows u a few other escapes that work better .So to me its well worth it to me to go back and start from the beginning . Never know what u missed .Everyones jits is different. Just request to roll with bluebelts or purple belts who are on your skill level . A real instructor will see your advanced and put u with the right ppl to test your skills instead of dominate your roll partner . Who will probably be a very frustrated person unless u let him learn from u . baseball choke is decent for those who wear gi's cross collar choke I love if it presents itself . but most the time u cross collar someone they end up with ripped collar on their shirt . unles su get a large handful of the collar from both hands

I honestly dont mind. I know that some of my stuff is sloppy. Learning no gi first is good for the swlf defense mindset. Its all about conviction as long as your can understand what the general idea is. I feel like the gi game is more tight and easier to get over powered.

The blue belt that he gave me was a recent promotion. I saw a pic of him from a few months ago as a white belt. He was a really nice guy and wasnt a douche like a jj guy can be. Thing is he was at least 50 pounds heavier and a skilled opponent, so I was legitimately worried.

Im a pretty skinny frame and most of these guys are huge. I deffo didnt wanna seem pretentious but I also wanted to see where I am on this instructors belt scale.

Really tho I have no problem with wearing this whitebelt permanently. In order to get promoted I need to learn a specific set of techniques. Thing is, I aint spending my money on no belt. I really just wanna polish the techniques I already know and have reflexes for, to be perfect.

I feel like it may be best for me to just help the other whites while I get my reps in. Ill open mat with as many advanced belts as I can but Im more wanting to be 100% street ready

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Day 2
picture.php

Gi bjj is way different, imo . We did a rear choke submission and the defense to it. I already knew the rear naked choke on both sides. Imo, the naked choke is a lot harder to lock up. You gotta trap the underhooked arm to make space for your arm to come over the top, which makes the defense a lot easier for me.

With the gi choke you dont even have to pull your arm out from the underhook. Way more control and hardly any risk of losing the position. Im not saying its easy at all, just way easier and less sacrifical by using the fabric.

I realized that preparing for an aggressive, striking opponent is a completely different game than a skilled, non striking partner.

For example, my default guard position is closed guard stage 1, which just doenst work against a fellow bjj player. Butterfly or spider guard would prolly be better for bjj vs bjj. Even just an open guard with feet on the hips us prolly better.

From the bottom of side mount my reflex is to immediately hug the neck and tricep and watch out for punches, but as far as bjj vs bjj is concerned thats a huge error.

I gotta stop thinking about getting hit in my face and t-rex better.

My highlight was during the rear choke escape drill I was able to use the weak side arm transfer to make my opponent go to the wrong side, where it gets tighter. It almost turned into a bow and arrow? choke.

My personal training goal was to successfully pull off a cross collar choke and I got one.

picture.php

I noticed that the headlock escape I use the most was a complete suprise to alot of folks. I got a chance to roll with a purple that was my same size and he kicked my ass over and over, but that very headlock escape got me a good sweep and top position. More importantly tho, I had fun and Im pretty sure he did too.

picture.php

Bob Green

Hahahaha Trump got a few people with that armdrag handshake pretty good. Poor Japanese dude didn't know WTF was going on.

Sounds like you are on the right path Sishk keep it up and you will be a choking machine.

I feel that lapel chokes from top and back are THE most underrated street self defense moves of our time. Unless you train GI nobody knows defense or even sees them coming. Especially in the winter time.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I feel that lapel chokes from top and back are THE most underrated street self defense moves of our time. Unless you train GI nobody knows defense or even sees them coming. Especially in the winter time.

Thats some real shit right there
Your hella right. If they have a jacket on, why spin for armlock when you got a choke right there.

That cross collar choke is so dope. The one I pulled off started from mount but I got rolled. It didnt matter tho because It was locked in already.

I actually do like the diversity of attacks the gi gives I just need more practice.

I think I got a good coach and some good training partners. Just wait til I ve got all the rookie mistakes out my system. I think I will pick things up pretty quickly. I already do pretty well if you ask me or anyone thats rolled with me.

I just dont want people that were in my shoes to be intimidated by signing up at a bjj school.

Thanks to all yall for the high level advise Ive been getting in here, it really does help me just to think about this stuff.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Hahahaha Trump got a few people with that armdrag handshake pretty good. Poor Japanese dude didn't know WTF was going on.

Sounds like you are on the right path Sishk keep it up and you will be a choking machine.

G `day BG

Kenny Shamrock didn`t see it coming either .
Royce showed him a new technique .
Ken even tried the Brazilian Tap .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Bob Green

G `day BG

Kenny Shamrock didn`t see it coming either .
Royce showed him a new technique .
Ken even tried the Brazilian Tap .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Royce just hit him with a clean RNC from an unorthodox angle. Shamrock just used the excuse of not knowing the GI. I thought it was a GI choke too until I met Royce and asked him.

He made excuses for their third fight as well which I thought was hilarious. KTFO knee to the balls hahaha beautiful! But defend yourself at all times. Old Ken expected too much help from the ref and judges. :biggrin: