What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

JUICY FRUIT

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Grew a bunch of it in the 90's. From Sensi seed. It has the chewing gum juicy fruit flavor and cured to a gold color.

In a good outdoor season in the Northeast it would yield like a champ. Long colas of pretty dense buds. Trimming was pretty easy and the gum aroma would fill a room.

Potent sativa high. Great for fishing or hiking the mountains. Very relaxing but potent smoke. Wasn't really a ceiling, but it def got narcotic/trippy when over indulged.

We lost the cut due to a mislabeling deal as I'm sure so many others have.

Nice strain for sure, would love to get it back. Unfortunately that was 20 years ago so fat chance for me lol.

it seems it is still the same, I smoked some samples not so long ago from one guy here. so I supposed it is from current seeds. and first 45 minutes or hour of effect is like very narcotic thai, some roller coaster ride. then it transforms to huge northern lights body effect with gummy legs and troubles to articulate words. it devastated it me really hard. taste is fabulous. hashy fruity bubblegum with little skunky background- yumm.

Hempsmoke

Whats the genetics of juicy fruit?
I know of a juicy fruit that is white widow x chronic. Never grew it, but goy some seeds called white star by earth seeds (now defunct) which is also ww x chronic.
It doesn't smell like juicy fruit but it has an awesome Berry smell with some skunk funk goin On in the background.
In a bag it has an Berry aura around the bag, but only the best growers can make her smell sooo good. Harvest few days too late and poof it smells like some cheap swag.

Shes of medium Potency but she has this weird attribute that everyone likes to smoke her, doesn't matter if youre a kush, haze or whatever fan.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
juicy fruit is kind of thai. I heard you can find juicy fruit phenos in RSC highland thai. you can also find it in blueberry genetics. as Dj Short used juicy fruit thai too. that one from sensi is juicy fruit thai x northern lights and it tastes straight like juicy fruit bubblegum and very potent. I smoked it once, so it is not like smoke it long term, it can have some weak sides in long term using. DJ Short about juicy fruit thai:"This stuff was purely cerebral, yet mentally devastating in quantity, with absolutely no ceiling. Once, a seasoned smoker friend and I tested how far we could go with the homegrown Juicy Fruit. I recall making it to the 14th bong hit and being completely incapable of continuing. My coordination and depth perception were so skewed that I was unable to physically conquer the bong! The experience rivaled that of taking too much LSD, causing an incapacitation of the psychedelic kind. Yet, it was also uniquely enjoyable, entertaining and educational at the same time. I had sparkly eyes for a day or two afterward. The aroma was a super-sweet fruity tropical punch and the flavor expressed itself both in the bud and the smoke."

romanoweed

i heard someone saying, he heard it is actually Vietnamese Afghani.
So, not exact like described Thai x Afghani, but would make sense they just said Thai Afghan cause Thai is well known, and close to vietneam.

I cant say if this is true, but as a vietnamese hunter it stuck in my mind.

xerb

Original Juicy Fruit from Sensi Seeds

Original Juicy Fruit from Sensi Seeds

In 1992 I made my first trip to Amsterdam. Hung out quite a bit at Sensi Seeds, The Flying Dutchman, and the coffee shops, a sponge for any knowledge I could pick up. I was already an experienced grower and was disappointed with the quality of most the local products.
But some of the better coffee shops had incredible genetics and their coveted clones were not available at any price.

I had taken a recent High Times magazine - the Cannabis Cup Issue - and followed in the footsteps of so many before me.
I brought back tons of seeds.

A couple packs of Sensi Seeds Juicy Fruit were among my treasure trove of genetics.
When I got back I made seeds from the 30ish seeds I had, and created hundreds from each female. Only 2 females did I consider keepers.
One was heavy and skunky, a potent hybrid - classic Humboldt if I ever smelled it. The other was lighter and sweeter and smelled just like Juicy Fruit gum!

The problem with this Thai X Afghani cross was that it was so unstable. In the F2 seeds many of the siblings were indica leaning, the Thai traits seemed to be recessive in this cross.

I did have great luck crossing my best cuts with Burmese - but again the cross was unstable. At best 2 out of 10 offspring were fabulous, with outrageous smell and taste. The Juicy Fruit smell was very pronounced in the best of these.

Anyway, back to Juicy Fruit - It is very much alive and well here in my little town.

Hey Sid, Wish you were here. XERB

PS. Yes, this offering from Sensi Seeds was called "Juicy Fruit" and was a Thai X Indica cross.
Not to be confused with "Juicy Fruit Thai" which is a 100% Thai - famous for its taste and potency, long flowering and wispy buds.

Last edited:

xerb

Just a couple more details to share. My best 2 clones of the F1 seeds stayed with me for many years.

Cutting number 1 was the more potent with a heavy skunky dankness. Heavy narcotic high.
This gal's flowers consistently produced more hash per oz of bud than any other plant in my stable.
4 oz of bud would produce 1 oz of bubble hash.

Another thing was the yield - it was great, the buds were dense and heavy.
I do not remember exactly how many pounds the really big ones yielded, but I remember getting
2 pounds off a small one grown in a 15 gallon bucket. I was about 6 foot and maybe 4-5 foot across.
It was one of those bonus plants that never got stuck in the ground - never got added to our total number...

All this talk of Juicy Fruit make me crave her unique taste and effects, it might be time for another run, XERB

sbeanonnamellow

juicy fruit is kind of thai. I heard you can find juicy fruit phenos in RSC highland thai. you can also find it in blueberry genetics. as Dj Short used juicy fruit thai too. that one from sensi is juicy fruit thai x northern lights and it tastes straight like juicy fruit bubblegum and very potent. I smoked it once, so it is not like smoke it long term, it can have some weak sides in long term using. DJ Short about juicy fruit thai:"This stuff was purely cerebral, yet mentally devastating in quantity, with absolutely no ceiling. Once, a seasoned smoker friend and I tested how far we could go with the homegrown Juicy Fruit. I recall making it to the 14th bong hit and being completely incapable of continuing. My coordination and depth perception were so skewed that I was unable to physically conquer the bong! The experience rivaled that of taking too much LSD, causing an incapacitation of the psychedelic kind. Yet, it was also uniquely enjoyable, entertaining and educational at the same time. I had sparkly eyes for a day or two afterward. The aroma was a super-sweet fruity tropical punch and the flavor expressed itself both in the bud and the smoke."

Howdy MAHA, you are such a wealth of cannabis lineage knowledge! Do you happen to know which Northern Lights was used in the Fruity Juice produced by Sensi? I read that Nevil worked for Sensi and is the one that came up with the variety, and also that Nevil got a bunch of Northern Lights gear from Greg as well as made some of his own. I also read that Greg sent Dronkers some of his seeds as a thank you for a nutrient recipe. Is it as straightforward as the Northern Lights in the Fruity Juice is Nevils NL5 selection, or could there be a chance it might be another specimen from something Greg sent Sensi? Would love to hear your perspective. Much love

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
Howdy MAHA, you are such a wealth of cannabis lineage knowledge! Do you happen to know which Northern Lights was used in the Fruity Juice produced by Sensi? I read that Nevil worked for Sensi and is the one that came up with the variety, and also that Nevil got a bunch of Northern Lights gear from Greg as well as made some of his own. I also read that Greg sent Dronkers some of his seeds as a thank you for a nutrient recipe. Is it as straightforward as the Northern Lights in the Fruity Juice is Nevils NL5 selection, or could there be a chance it might be another specimen from something Greg sent Sensi? Would love to hear your perspective. Much love

Sensi never used any Greg's "NL" (if that story is even true, which I doubt). Nevil made Juicy fruit while working at Sensi, he used his own Thai line and his NL#5. JF most likely got it's fruity traits from NL#5 as she's the one that carries the sweet fruity berries terps.

sbeanonnamellow

Man I hope you and some of the other cannabis historians around here get together and publish a hard copy with all of these gems! Thanks for the knowledge drop. It had never even crossed my mind that the JF gum terps would come from the berry in Nevils NL#5.

What are your thoughts on the recent NL releases by Todd at Authentic Genetics as they relate to the NL lines of yesteryear and Nevils NL5 selection? If I recall, Todd dropped some NL5 a few weeks ago, NL2 is supposedly dropping this week, and Purest Indica sometime after that. Juicy Fruity berries somewhere in there? Much love

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
NL 2 dropped today. Already sold out. I grabbed some NL 5 on the last release. We'll see if anything nifty turns up in the wash.

BC*Dankster*

The Juicy Fruit cut that circulated around bc in the early 2000's was a real heavy yielder. Getting 2 # per light was pretty common, but the high was lackluster. Didn't do much for me or my friends, and soon after the og and Purple Kush cuts came around and took over.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
JF is Thai landrace called jucy fruit thai x afghani 1 .... No NL in this lineage....

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nevils words

I made the Juicy Fruit. It was from a Thai collected in the '90s. It wasn't a great Thai, but it did have that typical Juicy Fruit smell and flavour. I cleaned it up a little and crossed it with a few indicas. I can't remember for sure which one Sensi sold. Probably the NL5, it crossed well with pure sativas.
N.

sbeanonnamellow

Nevils words

I made the Juicy Fruit. It was from a Thai collected in the '90s. It wasn't a great Thai, but it did have that typical Juicy Fruit smell and flavour. I cleaned it up a little and crossed it with a few indicas. I can't remember for sure which one Sensi sold. Probably the NL5, it crossed well with pure sativas.
N.

Hey Raco thank you for stopping by and sharing the quote. I swear I feel like I have deja vu trying to get these lineages sorted out in my brain. After asking which Afghan is in the Fruity Juice I remember thinking, I swear I asked this before. )I have) I really appreaciate the comments from you guys who are doing an excellent job at maintaining an accurate oral and written history of these things, especially considering the questions get asked time and time again. Sometimes by the same person. lol

When we read Nevils words about cleaning it up with a few indicas, would that mean multiple males from the same population of NL5 (or whatever Sensi was selling at the time)? Since Nevil was a fan of 1:1 matings I would read into this quote as multiple indicas being used across a breeding scheme. Is there any chance different varieties were used? Also, am I reading too much into it but when Nevil refers to the indicas as not being sure which one Sensi sold, does that mean seeds or his NL5 cutting? I guess if it was his NL5 cutting he would have know right? So it must be seeds? Nevil suggests NL5 but that means it might be something else? Someone earlier mentioned Afghani #1?

Walking thrugh my brain, sort of rambling. Not expecting everyone to answer all the questions, just things I am thinking. I swear sometimes you think you got it then BAM something new. Either way, proof is in the seed. There is something firm about that, even if it would be nice to know what shares ancestry. Recombining families that have been selected for unique things is said to be pretty badass. I can't help but wonder how some of Todds recent NL releases will pair up with some of Nevils old work that has or might have NL in it. Fruity Juice for example. MNS Ortega, ect. Much love

sbeanonnamellow

NL 2 dropped today. Already sold out. I grabbed some NL 5 on the last release. We'll see if anything nifty turns up in the wash.

Hey man you probably already saw but in case you haven't they relisted some of the NL2 a few days ago and still had stock last I checked. Much love

Tp01

Here’s a juicy fruit S1 I made from the clone. The clone stunk of juicy fruit gum in veg but changed to a sweet funk in bloom. Clone was a high yielder of nug
04391726-A8E4-4558-839E-4B4CE2AC1F50.jpeg
8C65DB59-C07E-43D7-B4CE-33A06E9DCA10.jpeg
as long as you watch the N. It can make leafy buds Great high to work in the garden or play video games with the kids. This S1 has beautiful fall colors, she don’t stink like her mama but I hope the high is the same

N8V Farmer

Sounds interesting! I have a few seeds of Bodhi's JF Thai x Snow Lotus. I will try to get them popped this year...so many seeds, so little time!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Nevils words

N.

great post. I am glad it cleared up that bullshit, juicy fruit terps are from NL LOL... keep it up.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
great post. I am glad it cleared up that bullshit, juicy fruit terps are from NL LOL... keep it up.

Coming from a guy that never grew a #5 :laughing:, don't make me laugh you know nothing about NL terps besides the BS you read online. #5 contains fruity terps, cross that with a sweet thai and you lock in and intensify the juice fruit. Any other Afghan would've buried it.

Stick to hayze as we both know smelling NL gives you nightmares and cold sweats during bed time.