What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Joe Biden Thread

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Walmart increased their minimum wage to $11/hr a few years ago. Looks like they will be increasing it again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bu...25-000-workers-average-above-15-hour-n1258243

They should increase it to 15 for all workers. Anyone paying 7 bucks is using the same mechanism to increase their wealth at the expense of taxpayers.

Krypt doesn't get it. The fix isn't to reset the zero (slavery) line to $15. The fix is to make it so full time workers can afford to sustain themselves and have the rich actually pay taxes.

Amynamous

While i believe the minimum wage should absolutely be increased, $15 might be too much too fast for a lot of smaller businesses, especially in lower cost of living areas. Big Box/ BillionDollar retailers could easily use the higher wage to bludgeon their smaller competitors out of business.

For example, while Starbucks could easily absorb the higher labor costs, the small, locally owned coffee shop that grosses ten thousand in monthly sales and has two full time employees would get crushed.

growlegal

Veteran
While i believe the minimum wage should absolutely be increased, $15 might be too much too fast for a lot of smaller businesses, especially in lower cost of living areas. Big Box/ BillionDollar retailers could easily use the higher wage to bludgeon their smaller competitors out of business.

For example, while Starbucks could easily absorb the higher labor costs, the small, locally owned coffee shop that grosses ten thousand in monthly sales and has two full time employees would get crushed.

A 10 cent a cup increase could easily be absorbed and cover added cost

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Bingo !!!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club

this all the way; its good to hear from someone who understands micro economics
especially at a time when most businesses are struggling just to keep their doors open, a bump in the cost of labor (minimum wage especially) could be the last straw
here in cali, a $15/hr minimum wage represents an almost 25% increase in pay (when the last time you got a 25% raise without having to take on much more responsibility or having earned some type of certification)
/currently ca minimum is $12
a $15 min wage is a job killer
this hurts the economy overall and smaller mom and pops the most

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
especially at a time when most businesses are struggling just to keep their doors open, a bump in the cost of labor (minimum wage especially) could be the last straw
here in cali, a $15/hr minimum wage represents an almost 25% increase in pay (when the last time you got a 25% raise without having to take on much more responsibility or having earned some type of certification)
this hurts the overall economy overall and smaller mom and pops the most

It's not the employees job to carry the business or be a slave getting supplemental food stamps, medical etc. It should be on the business and if necessary, have tax breaks for struggling businesses having trouble paying a living wage. People working full time are doing all they can and not looking for hand outs.

In Europe, All employees get a living wage plus (in the country I lived in) one month vacation with double pay, 100% medical with minimal copay, college, and a decent retirement. It works and you don't hear allot of whining from business owners. We are like one step above a third world country with our billionaire masters grabbing it all up.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
so why not quit?
if an employer doest treat me well ( not just money but repect), im out

It's cool, that's a reasonable point.

No matter which way you play it, like here or like in Europe, there will always be the same demand for goods and services and it will work. The problem here is that the group with all the money has more control of how the system is administered and they take an unfair advantage in policy making.

Allowing oligarchs is the demise of our middle class. The unrest is very evident now but unfortunately they are not smart enough to blame the right people. The people who they think will fix it are the ones screwing them the most. The middle class is disappearing and the conservative fix is to make the lower class even lower.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Zeez;9131111(sniping a lot of good stuff) said:
...The middle class is disappearing and the conservative fix is to make the lower class even lower.
this all the way man, we are slowly losing our middle class and this isnt good for society or the economy
couldent the gov be seen as the western oligarch, with unfair advantages because of position? they make the rules but dont fail when they operate at a loss (as long as their public face is clean)
i dont know if i would draw a line between conservative and liberal party here in the us(new boss same as the old boss), but we can only hope for the best
/ good thoughts zeez!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This isn't a bill for COVID, but rather increase standard of living. Even @ $12.00 and hour, that could help others who work 2-3 jobs at $8.00.

Minimum wage decisions should be left to the states. Louisiana and Mississippi (love typing that!) is different than New York, due to cost of living.
I despise seeing medical jobs starting at $10 an hour when training/certification/professional licesure is in the package.

The current min. wage has not kept up with inflation or economy advances.

Bureau of Labor Statics: The real minimum wage (or wage adjusted for inflation) is 25% lower than it was at its peak in 1968.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
i dont know if i would draw a line between conservative and liberal party here in the us(new boss same as the old boss), but we can only hope for the best
/ good thoughts zeez!

Yup, Hope we don't get fooled again...

krypt

They should increase it to 15 for all workers. Anyone paying 7 bucks is using the same mechanism to increase their wealth at the expense of taxpayers.

Krypt doesn't get it. The fix isn't to reset the zero (slavery) line to $15. The fix is to make it so full time workers can afford to sustain themselves and have the rich actually pay taxes.

What you fail to comprehend, is a couple extra dollar increase while working at WALMART isnt going to help those youre reffing to as slaves. I guess by helping you mean the ability to by an extra big mac at the end of the day..

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
What you fail to comprehend, is a couple extra dollar increase while working at WALMART isnt going to help those youre reffing to as slaves. I guess by helping you mean the ability to by an extra big mac at the end of the day..

That's a bad guess. You don't get it.

A full time worker should get paid $30,000 per year and they can live on that.

The way it is now, getting paid $15,000 per year with no benefits does not cut it

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hahahaha.....increase the minimum wage , and there will be a shit ton of 24 hour position's with no benefits.
How much will a head of lettuce,and some tomatoes cost when everyone is making 15hr .....then ya have time n a half after 40 hrs......better be one hell of an Antipasto!

growlegal

Veteran
this hurts the economy overall and smaller mom and pops the most

The internet killed Mom and Pop brick and mortar
Not the cost of wages :plant grow:

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Yep maybe even a happy meal or two by the end of the week.
:dance:

Absolem

In Michigan I see fast food places and Menards advertising $13-$13.50 starting pay. Is this what everybody else is seeing in other states?