What's new

jiffy peat pellets SUCK

out of 3 grows 100% here. i also use um for my tomatoes and peppers and other veggies!! they stay wet long and then just dip in a water if they start to dry! i use a clear cupcake holder and its like a mini green house!!! i also mist the top on the holder and seeds usually pop up in 3 to 4 days i will still use um since its worked for me always. i just say don't keep um unplanted long. after the white roots start to come out the bottom then its time to plant. good luck next time. heres my 1st 250 hps bagseed nugs i just harvested this week!!! also i used a jiffy pellet for this plant.

Last edited:

TokenBlackGuy

I had good and bad experiences with jiffy pellets...now i use rapid rooters instead...
I also use the gratefulhead wick cloner setup to keep my rapid rooters moist for clones and germinating seeds..

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
a lot of people dont realise that jiffy pellets are pre-fertilised..... although they would know if they read the label lol.........so i wont use em for seeds....cloning theyre ok not seeds... they also make some made from coco called Coir7's.
GDW has just hit the mnost likely cause for your problem though.....

theduder

ive used them on two of my grows and never had a problem

mos def better than paper towels the humididome works excellent

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I've used them since the beginning and have had nothing but success, they are not ideal like RapidRooters, these are better as they are not compressed, the trick is a moist medium with lots of air pockets like the RR's that why i roll the PP like someone mentioned earlier to loosen the compressed peat.

However we have the tools to make a superior cloning/germinating mix with soil elements we SHOULD readily have on hand.
A mix of perlite and peat in equal amounts with some vermiculite (~10%) has proven itself to be a superior medium in my grow, it keeps the mix porous while having great moisture holding capacities plus it's loose enough to root properly and quickly.

Manufacturers really have us by the balls don't they, just package something and brand it and it sells.....

Last edited:
G

I dont grow from seed, we only clone off mothers
but Ive never had a problem getting 90%+ success rates cloning w jiffy pucks,
i actually just bought 72 more and a new dome to last for awhile

CptRFBurton

Jiffy pellets fertilized? The packaging on mine contains no reference to anything but "dry spaghnum peat moss".

I've had 100% luck with'em cloning. Just trying them now for seed germing, but i'm sure they'll be fine.

I've tried cloning with jiffies once just to see if it was worth/faster and i didn't really like the results, not that they all died but i have way better results with coco or a simple bubbler.

I know a lot of people that use them for sprouting seeds and have fine results, but as i have my own method for germing, i don't really use them on this.
And of course this despite the fact that you have to keep on buying them wich doesn't make them an economically viable soltuion imo..

K.I.S.S. - keep it simple son :joint:

Last edited:

sillyphilly

I use them for seedlings/clones everytime!

I use them for seedlings/clones everytime!

Like someone else said it helps to thouroughly soak them then squeeze the excess out, that breaks the soil up good! i also learned for clones that cutting the mesh off helps alot! and the clones grow bigger faster? i dunno works for me year after year! Sillyphilly :joint:

G

25 of 25 Texas Heathers in Jiffy Pellets. I didnt use the tray or the dome. The only thing I bought was just teh pellets and I set mine up in 3 gallon pot saucers. I also germinated by soaking seeds til they fell to bottom of the glass then paper towels wetted then placed in the dark. As you can see by the picture everythings going well at 4 weeks from seed. 3 veg and 1 week into flower. The Heathers are the smalleer plants of course. I think they are obvious.

Last edited:
G

ive used those jiffy deals before never any problems but they have other ones that are all moist and much better. i see how it could be hard for noobs to soak the jiffys up and use them. but i would start a thread about it

Danknuggler

they worked for me! but my girlfriend tried to sprout some Lima beans and they actually greww mold on them and did not sprout at all. over in the vendors forumss go to reefermans forum and you'll see they have a new breeding facility and the very first pic you'll see a whole tray of i think Tajikistani Hashplant in jiffys. they are real pro's and if they are using them...... Nuggler

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
i've had mixed results...so i have to agree with Farmer John on this..

Im taking clones right now...im using soil this time. Special cloning soil ;) hehe..

I hope i have better luck than last time...3 out of 9...sheesh what a waste..

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
akornpatch said:
Anyone use those Jiffy peat pellets? WELL DON'T! What crap they are. IMHO..........

^^^ jiffy7's are cool for certain cuttings :cool: finding them in cheap-numbers is the real problem... lol

as yo can see how nice n thick the root system has developed in jiffy7 (the jiffy itself has been washed away)... t'is why I took this photo :biglaugh:

the top of the plant,,, skunky n pon greeny,, nah look crap to me! :joint:

As for seeds/seedlings, the peat-based soil in jiffy7 is often too acidic for most strains... and ppl tend to over water initially!!! then again, for certain strains/growers they work fine... :wave:

seedlings for newbies thread >> http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21702

peace out
DocLeaf

Last edited: