What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jeff Beck dead at 78

Lotto

Truly, the best guitar of my time. Saw him in Memphis in '72-'73. He was doing a small impromptu gig in a downstairs restaurant. Just passing through town and found him. Most of his Rough & Ready band with a couple locals to fill in the holes. Didn't have a big head at all, just showed up to play. What a treat.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Funny, I just playing Blow by Blow the other week. I started listening to music (seriously) around 1974 and I remember seeing Wired in the record store a year or so later and thinking it was the coolest album cover. I used to buy albums sometimes because of their cover. Sounds weird now, but there was no way of hearing some of this stuff when I was growing up. He wasn't exactly top 40 friendly.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I have to tell a story. In the early 70's we were camping by the Urubamba River at the base Machu Picchu. There is a hot spring about a 10 to 15 minute hike up the mountain side opposite the ruins and we decided to take the trek up there. When we arrived there were 3 young locals already enjoying the waters. We knew some Spanish but were not well versed in the local dialect but were able to communicate OK. The hot spring was a small pool about the size of a large hot tub; it was pretty cool, a natural stone hot tub.

These guys had some good weed and were more than willing to share. They also had a small portable LP player and a handful of albums. As we got in the water, one of them pulls out an album and puts it on the player. It was the Jeff Beck Group and the first song is "Going Down".

So there we were, smoking weed, soaking in soothing waters, listening to Jeff Beck, with the ruins of Machu Picchu on the horizon. It was unreal. So I have to thank Mr. Beck for contributing to a very memorable experience in my life.

Latest posts

Latest posts