What's new

jamaican "lambsbread"

Rembetis

Would be nice Bud. I am already talking to the wife about next year since this year is shot for going anywhere.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
t is this in the hands of Dr Machel? Also was there any other efforts to get it back home and has anyone had contact with Bushman since then?

Yes but just a little F6 batch to Dr Machel for now, thanks to Kush Kloud the passer, another more number is reserved for next months and years. With Mr Bushman no direct contact but years ago i've sent some to a Kingston native friend not really rasta but he assured me to transmit some with the Trenchtown's community.

Anyway step by step the thing is preserved to go back with them, that's also a question of education about their old sativa endangered. Need time but we hope that its conscious will root again.

Nico Farmer

Authentic Strains Farm
I still believe that "lambsbread" is not a specific strain of Jamaican ganja,
but instead a term that was used to describe the best weed available at a particular time and location on the island..

+1
I agree, one of my best friend has a jamaïcain wife, and they go nearly every year in Jamaica to see family and they say to me that Lambsbread is an old word for ganja.
In the 90' it was "Highgrade", in the 2000' "Collie", etc...

I am a reggae listener/musician lover, since I had 10 years old, and I saw Bushman 3 times in concert.
He is know to be a great singer, in the leanage of Luciano, but he is not know to be a farmer in the circle.
He surely gives some really good seeds, but not necessary "the True Lambsbread", because it doesn't really mean anything.

Jamaïcan weeds have big Indian influences. Jamaica was an English colony like India, and lot of people come from India to JA in the 60'/70'.

Rasta's drealocks have their inspirations in some african tribal's hairdressing and from indian Sadhus.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
giphy.gif

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
If I understand ras tafari attitude to life right, very close to life of Sadhu indeed, then I think lambsbread means something like mana at Hawaii, some spiritual bread, spiritual feed.. infinite life energy, Sadhu would say prana.. and Henry Bergson would say elan vital..

ngakpa

Veteran
And I seriously doubt that any new cannabis seeds were brought to Jamaica from the mid 1800's until at least the 1970's.

hi, great post, but on this point:

the indentured labour system started in the 1830s

hundreds of tons of ganja were shipped from India to the Caribbean until into the 1930s

there was literally 100 years of ganja being shipped from India to Trinidad etc.

once cultivation was outlawed on the islands like Trinidad etc., it moved to Guyana

in the early 90s, when I was in the Caribbean, I saw old-school ganja in Guyana, Jamaica etc.

but in Kingston I saw what they called "chronic", which was modern stuff... the dirty flat high, aroma, and bud structure were all totally different from the traditional ganja

in the UK, I saw real Carribean ganja imports until the late 90s

any Caribbean imports I saw after that were bad quality hybrid stuff

fwiw, there's no doubt ganja came to the Caribbean with Indians, but the evidence for Africa is less clear

ngakpa

Veteran
by contrast, Trinidad and Guyana both passed laws in 1915 and 1913 that regulated (but didn't prohibit) import, meaning all imported ganja had to pass through bonded warehouses

legal import and export continued provided that neither country prohibited it, well into 1930s

same goes for Afghanistan, which exported hashish through India in the same era

Rembetis

The Indian connection always made sense. Whatever it is the Jamaican climate makes it something special unlike the Indica types they are trying to grow now.

The other thing I dont get is why would someone want to go to a place like Jamaica and smoke the same weed you can get back home?

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Aside from Jamaica being more than just ganjah, traditional varieties have been replaced for the same reasons they disappeared in other countries (Thailand, Nigeria, South Africa, Mexico, Colombia, etc.)
Not only that, Jamaicans want to grow kush for the same reason they want to grow it in California .....

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Not only that, Jamaicans want to grow kush for the same reason they want to grow it in California .....

Yup,,, and it's a crying shame...

Two Rasta men whom I knew and stayed with at opposite ends of the island, both told me they smoked ganja because it made them think, and that made them smarter..

You don't get that with the hybrids and the Indicas grown there these days...

just my humble opinion..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kush and similar remind me of drinking alcohol. No lasting benefit. A somewhat dulling experience.

A good sativa can have lasting positive effects for the mind. I do not hate indicas/hybrids or think badly of them but no lasting benefit came from them.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Vibes Yesum, in terms of landrace the majority of the indican side could be long lasting too, clear clean mind and spiritual trip is possible and present with kush. The other side couchlock, debilitating and mental vice really come from the occidental modern selection focused on the precocity and resin cover i think.

At sources in situ the general difference sati/indi is essentially physical and muscular with energic buzz or mellow and relax but both sides can have spiritual and no ceiling benefits imho.

(Illustrated by my work with the dreamy Mazar, i look forward to explore the cross and its fresh F2s with the Lambsbread btw)

Rembetis

I have the same opinion Bud. Havent seen anything there in the last several trips that I thought was interesting. That light cycle just doesnt let those genetics develop to their full potential.

I understand their interest in the Indicas, the grass is always greener etc but hopefully one day they will come back around to what really works there.

romanoweed

@Roms @Mustafunk

But could you tell: how many Phenos did that Biologist keep? I mean i would rather tend to keep 500 of 1000 Plants, and open Pollinating them.. If i aim Preservation.

The Generations till you reach stabilisation would be way higher, well like ongoing for ever (like 100 Gen.) . But i suggest it would allow for a Richer Race.

I really really would love to hear about that.

troutman

Seed Whore
Yup,,, and it's a crying shame...

Two Rasta men whom I knew and stayed with at opposite ends of the island, both told me they smoked ganja because it made them think, and that made them smarter..

You don't get that with the hybrids and the Indicas grown there these days...

just my humble opinion..

A good Sativa will make you want to grab a surfboard to catch some waves. :groupwave:

An Indica will make you want to grab a couch to couchsurf while you order food. :bigeye:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
@Romanoweed

As has already been said there was very little parents and kinship since the start with Rahan.

We are growers with little boxes man so this Lambsbread is a selected line since the start. The best specimens possible simply has been selected... However it should be borne in mind that a landrace genetics have a certain infinity and even with a drastic selection there remains a good diversity.

It should be also understood that landrace has many specimens closer to hemp so the open pollination notion is relative. If you don't select good specimens you quickly devalue the thing! That's why the inbreeding is needed to refine a landrace! Don't be misunderstood by the open poll notion and influence often misinterpreted!!!

So please select your landrace before reproducing them otherwise there is a great chance of reproducing bad attibutes ya know!

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
A good Sativa will make you want to grab a surfboard to catch some waves. :groupwave:

An Indica will make you want to grab a couch to couchsurf while you order food. :bigeye:

^^
Indica are for morey surfing and even better without a board at all i would say!

romanoweed

@Roms I would tend to rather keep 500 of 1000 Plants, so this is Selection/keeping Hempy Plants out.

I was adressing ONLY the Amount of Keepers, again: 500 of 1000 Plants keeping, and the Conseuence of that Scenario might be open Pollination needed.