What's new

jamaican "lambsbread"

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I wish I knew what was causing it? My environment seems fine.

Dry conditions, ideal temperatures and an indoor environment. That seems to defy everything I've learned about mold so far. I've only seen mold indoors once, and those were autoflowers taken from outside.
picture.php

I noticed the scarring on this picture. Outdoors these are the kind of places where mold starts spreading. When the mold is inside the trunk there's nothing you can do but watch the plant get eaten out from inside.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I hope that mold was a freak occurrence, or a genetic weak individual. I have two plants about to go into my small flowering cabinet, and I'm going to have to bend them extensively to get them to fit. I'll make sure to keep them on the low side of humidity with extra ventilation.

Here they are:
picture.php

They smell awesome already. Green fruit smell with incense or perfume aroma. It is already haunting me.
:biggrin:

All the Best,

ThaiBliss

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I had the soil from last harvest in the hallway outside my growrooms.
I was saving it for outdoors this summer.
As I was loading the bags into my ride, I seen a moldy soil bag under a few bags.
I think thats the culprit, and why Im getting PM spores in the air. Thank God for charcoal filters cleaning the air, or I wouldve been in trouble.
Live and learn. There going in my attic next winter.
I washed the hallway down with bleach. Case solved??
The PM didnt grow where I snapped the stems. It grew on the stems inside the buds. Not on any leaf or anything. Just the flower stems.

Jubei

Wow! Well supposedly I got a cut of this, but it must have been crossed with some Dutch genetics, cuz mine looks nothing like that. Will post after it starts to flower. Way more Indica looking than that... Wish I had that one!

Hey Overgrowdaworld... Next time, try composting your old soil, turning it over and keeping it moist. I know it doesn't sound like something that would be in your favor but composting will kill those PM spores and increase disease resistance in your plants, as long as your compost is healthy. Just food for thought! Sorry to hear your having trouble with mold..

ThaiBliss... How are your Lambsbreads doing in your cabinet?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hey Overgrowdaworld... Next time, try composting your old soil, turning it over and keeping it moist. I know it doesn't sound like something that would be in your favor but composting will kill those PM spores and increase disease resistance in your plants, as long as your compost is healthy. Just food for thought! Sorry to hear your having trouble with mold..

ThaiBliss... How are your Lambsbreads doing in your cabinet?

Hi Ninja,

Both my plants turned male. One had a few pistils. I'm actually happy to get one male without any pistils, since I was warned about hermaphrodites, and I used it to pollinate a Destroyer x Fire Fox Tail.

I have a few more seeds, and my next sprouts will include the Jamaican again because they look like the real deal Jamaican Sativa of Indian origin. They also smelled very strong of incense, sour fruit/lemon, and also had a medicinal aroma. Smelled good, but also made my stomach feel a twinge of nausea it was so powerful. If I find another pure male, I'll cull the one that was a hermaphrodite. I want to preserve as much diversity in my limited stock as possible.

Because of my childhood experience with Jamaican Ganja, and this Lambsbread's obvious lack of Indica contamination, I consider this a very good prospect for the type of effect that I am after.
:biggrin:

Here are a couple more recent pictures since the last one I posted on this thread:

picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

idiit

Veteran
i've got a couple of jlb's (bushman) outdoors. just put out. i've got a couple of males ( i think) inside for pollen. i'l post some pics. as season progresses. i've still got a few seeds as back up and diversity runs for in the future.

ok, jahgreenlabel, i need some help. i've read the jlb threads over and my initial impression is that the early jlb runs were very potent, up, cerebral up no limit highs. now, the jamacian blue mountain seems from my initial reads to be more powerful.

has the jamacian lambsbread gone down in potency a little during the multiple jlb strain preservation runs?

edited to add: i'm truly excited to run the legendary jlb od in an area that has a long enough flowering period to do her justice. the subject is coming up on various landrace threads about the difficulty of maintaining a strain's attributes outside her native environment.

thanks,

idiit

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Has anybody notice the Lambsbread and Blue Mountain hybrids released by Snow High Seeds??

Not sure about the potency going down but it's undestandable that the JLM hybrids are far more potent, like in the case of the Double Jamaican. The potency on the pure Jamaican is probably quite good for a landrace.

Pure Lambsbread "Bushman" 1960 that survived from a batch of crushed seeds I've put into a pot before discarding them:

DSC_4385.jpg

DSC_4388.jpg

DSC_4389.jpg

Vibes.

Last edited:
idiit... Just off the top of my head, I feel inclined to say that just because the potency doesn't come through in a particular generation, doesn't mean it is not there or capable of producing such. It may just be a matter of environment not allowing the plant to express those sought after traits. Just a thought, not fact! :)

Nice looking plants there Musta! Pure Lambsbread? Are those plants related to the 1960's JLB?

Thanks for sharing!

idiit

Veteran
^^
idiit... Just off the top of my head, I feel inclined to say that just because the potency doesn't come through in a particular generation, doesn't mean it is not there or capable of producing such. It may just be a matter of environment not allowing the plant to express those sought after traits. Just a thought, not fact!

Huge difference between JLB's out there. Jahgreenlabel.........Your efforts and accomplishments with the preservation of this magical strain are beyond words like Thank You. The Almighty Himself has used your hands to not allow this strain to be lost in the mix of hybrids. I hope to carry the same torch, to preserve Gods genetics He gifted to us all and to spread Gods gift to the ends of the earth.

^^ https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=217540&page=7

jgl's growing and breeding skills are often attested to. i suspect that he was able to maintain the attributes if not in fact select and stabilize the best. there are quotes out there like the one i linked and quoted. also, i don't know if the key attribute to jlb is potency, but rather the irie vibe it produces along with the no ceiling and terpenes. jgl might have selected for attributes in his jlb's that were not potency centric.

there is an important question re growing a landrace strain outside its native environment and maintaining the original potency. i've seen early posts on jlb that emphasized potency and now it seems the quality of the high that is her premier strength.

jgl has brought us double jam which appears to bring the power and potential psychoactiity of his bmj with the top end quality high effects of jlb and is more adaptable to varied growing environments (which touches on my adaptability question). is lower potency mostly due to not being grown in its native environment?

RC, the last individual of Doublejam presented at an effect type Lambsbread but with a higher power, which him confers psychedelic effects

many individual in line Doublejam are very close to the Lambsbread and better therm power, other are softer! overall I recommend those most rapid flower,

I work on a lined IBL Doublejam on the criterions very close to the Lambsbread in therm of high and smell but with a higher power, a time of smaller flowering and better adaptability inside
emphasis mine.

bottom line; it's very difficult for many growers to get an extreme sativa to perform satisfactorily in non tropical environments. the double jam hybrid makes lots of sense. but there are some of us who are growing extreme sativas in places with a long enough flowering time and some strains are performing much better than others potency wise. it's acclimation capability. jgl has apparently achieved the improved acclimation capability of jlb by pairing her with jbm.

if i get lucky and i get a jlb outdoor harvest i can post my results. i won't have the higher uv, volcanic soil and tropical environment of jamaica which is in line with ninja mechanic just posted above me.

idiit... Excellent post!

Man, all this talk about Doublejam, I may have to try and locate some of those. Anyone know where abouts I could find some?

I agree with what your saying. The key selection traits are crucial. The most potency isn't always the best trait in a given seed line. JLB being probably the best example of that. Bob Marley would sing about the amazing cerebral effects, not its mind fucking potency.

On top of the selection criteria, there are definitely other factors coming into play. Ones ability to pull something like JLB off properly is a large part of it, especially considering the extreme attributes these plants are famous for. High sensitivity to light, nutrients, etc, and belonging to such a long flowering class, it makes it difficult, especially if you don't have the sun to help you out. The difference between good sun grown cannabis and good indoor cannabis is staggering. The sun does such a better job than we could ever imitate...

Considering all that, thank you JGL and everyone else involved that helped make this preservation possible and successful. :) You are all true cannabis hero's!

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I man feelin Irie, I do no one no wrong.
Many more then brother Bob who sung about Lambsbread, try this one, all about the Lambsbread...[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRzCl-Of-U[/YOUTUBEIF]

If you listen to that song and dub you will get a good feeling about what the high of real Jamaican Lambsbread is like. I'm sure 99.9% of the musicians performing that song in the studio when they recorded it were very high on that same Ja. Lambsbread they are singing so HIGHly about.

Huesos

Many Blessings.....

Many Blessings.....

Many Blessings Mustafunk:tiphat:and Brethren:tiphat:,

Good to hear on the Lambsbread preservation effort. I started mine to late and hot weather not going well. I am very interested on any exceptional Jamaican.

I hope the beautiful Legendary Jamaicans don't get lost. The present trend of fast flowering is causing many of the old legends near extinction.

Latest posts

Latest posts