What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jacks 321 for DWC and Tap Water question

iruleyou1

Having to keep the res temp stable is a major drawback to DWC, yes. Until you really get a feel for cannabis, E&F will be great for you. :) The ppms will always depend on environment, strain and so on as always with a little difference over DWC. The pH goes up slightly as the water evaporates in the root zone between waterings. It's important to get the pH to the 5.4'ish zone every once in a while. You can do this by starting with a low enough pH and allowing the pH to rise to around 6'ish.
:tiphat:

Just to clarify. I understand ppms will always have a variance based on what you said above but are the Jacks ppms completely diffent since the roots aren't in direct contact with the nutrient solution constently? Can I still start out with the basic 600ppm and change throughout the grow like I am now? I'm saying all things equal just running ebb and flow instead of dwc. Are the jacks strenghts very diffent in ebb and flow like 1050ppm vs the 600ppm I started with as per the big jacks discussion on this forum or just slightly different like maybe 100ppm to be dialed in.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I would start with 600ppm and go from there. With GH Flora, Lucas ratio, I try not to go over 750ppm and this is similar to Jack's. Lower leaves turning yellow? Too little, bump it up. ;)

Yes, the ppm's for E&F and DWC are very similar. :)

iruleyou1

I would start with 600ppm and go from there. With GH Flora, Lucas ratio, I try not to go over 750ppm and this is similar to Jack's. Lower leaves turning yellow? Too little, bump it up. ;)

Thanks you answered my question. Now I am working on a perpetual grow setup. It's going to snow Thursday here in the Northeast so I am going to dream something up.

iruleyou1

Ok I have been doing a ton of reading now and I have a few more questions before I make a decision on Ebb and flow or just go with 2 or 3 large totes. In ebb and flow how can I have the giant root mass my dwc has in the same 5 gallon area? Most of the systems I see are using 5 gallon buckets filled with hydroton My DWC system is a giant root ball in the bucket at this point and I don't see how it could fit.

Ebb/Flow is superior to RDWC when it comes to producing Drymass. No Drying Out favors Vegetative Growth. More Roots doesnt necessarily means more Growth above, as any Part of the Plant takes Energy to sustain.
Ebb/Flow is also Cheaper, Safer and more Flexible.

iruleyou1

Ebb/Flow is superior to RDWC when it comes to producing Drymass. No Drying Out favors Vegetative Growth. More Roots doesnt necessarily means more Growth above, as any Part of the Plant takes Energy to sustain.
Ebb/Flow is also Cheaper, Safer and more Flexible.

Are you saying RDWC will veg faster because it has more roots to pull water but Ebb and flow will be better at making plants that can retain water since they need to survive dry periods?

Are you saying RDWC will veg faster because it has more roots to pull water but Ebb and flow will be better at making plants that can retain water since they need to survive dry periods?

Basicly yes, i believe Ebb/Flow produces hardier Plants with more Trichomes but RDWC would be faster Vegetative Growth. I wouldnt worry about Ebb/Flow not producing the same Amount of Rootmass, as this may not lead to more above Growth after a Certain amount of Roots.

iruleyou1

Basicly yes, i believe Ebb/Flow produces hardier Plants with more Trichomes but RDWC would be faster Vegetative Growth. I wouldnt worry about Ebb/Flow not producing the same Amount of Rootmass, as this may not lead to more above Growth after a Certain amount of Roots.

Is there an ebb & flow system you recommend or anybody else? I'm having trouble finding a 5 gallon bucket design one that has really good reviews. I'd like to go with flood and drain table but they don't make one designed to utilize a 5x5 tent to max capacity. The biggest tables I see are 4x4,

Goats

Is there an ebb & flow system you recommend or anybody else? I'm having trouble finding a 5 gallon bucket design one that has really good reviews. I'd like to go with flood and drain table but they don't make one designed to utilize a 5x5 tent to max capacity. The biggest tables I see are 4x4,

i use a 3x3 table in a 4x4 tent and this was my tent a few weeks ago. all of the plants are just relatively close to the edge of the table and overhang to the edge of the tent after some topping and training.

i am no grand master grower but as you can see, the table being 7 sq ft smaller than the tent has not stopped it from filling the tent up.

picture.php

iruleyou1

i use a 3x3 table in a 4x4 tent and this was my tent a few weeks ago. all of the plants are just relatively close to the edge of the table and overhang to the edge of the tent after some topping and training.

i am no grand master grower but as you can see, the table being 7 sq ft smaller than the tent has not stopped it from filling the tent up.

View Image

Thanks. This is good to know and maybe one day i will try it out. I went the rout of ordering a Greentree Multi Flow with used buckets. My Reasoning was MA has the 6 plant/ 12 per household law so i can't do that many anyway legally. Since it takes about 2 months to flower anyway 2 months of Veg is more than enough to keep everything going. If I am going to run bigger plants I think this system will give me more vertical space and it will also alow me to do res changes/checks at lights out.

iruleyou1

After all the hard work my grow is finally coming to an end.

I am running a 7-8 Week flower strain and I am about to hit week 5. With Jacks some say I want to cut out Calnit at some point.

When would I do this if I should?
Also should I do a flush with just RO water and if so when/ how long?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
After all the hard work my grow is finally coming to an end.

I am running a 7-8 Week flower strain and I am about to hit week 5. With Jacks some say I want to cut out Calnit at some point.

When would I do this if I should?
Also should I do a flush with just RO water and if so when/ how long?
You want your transpiration rate to stay high. This means you should be topping off with at least half the daily amount you've been using. Pump out some solution and add back plain water, if needed.

When the plants stop main flower production, they switch to oil production. The nutrient requirements are much lower. Without reducing the nutrient strength you get overfeeding. Nutrient needs go much lower than your strength, you'll get root rot and a fast pH drop.

Without keeping transpiration up, the flowers reduce quality by stuffing the excess nutrition in new growth. I've never used Cal-nit, so no idea. My apologies.
:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts