What's new

It's the Climate, stupid

Cannavore

Veteran
No way are we even close by 50 years to provide enough power with renewables.

CO2 is not the problem the climate change group is really interested in. It's too many people.
we can power the entire planet with solar arrays placed in the sahara. co2 is the driver of man made climate change, this is a known fact.

so weird how cuckservatives always seem to have the same interests as multi billion dollar corporations and the ruling class.

Cannavore

Veteran
E9k402jVgAEAqcB.jpg

applies to climate science as well

Three Berries

we can power the entire planet with solar arrays placed in the sahara. co2 is the driver of man made climate change, this is a known fact.

so weird how cuckservatives always seem to have the same interests as multi billion dollar corporations and the ruling class.
It's great to power from the Sahara. How you going to get it around the world? Facts are hard when you need power and can't get it. Now beaming power down from space would be a good idea.

Renewable energy needs to be ramped up exponentially if it is to be used to replace fossil fuels. The last wind farm they put in they had a really hard time getting easements for the power lines. Multiply that by a 1000. And three solar farms were approved three years ago in my county but farm land is more valuable so they never got built.

Three Berries

How many Gigawatts does it take to replace 135 billion gallon of gasoline (2021)? And what about all the oil based chemicals?

135,000,000,000 gallons = 15,390,000,000,000,000 BTU = 4,510,364,400,000 KWHs

~4.5M gigawatts

Convert Gallons of Gas to BTUs

How many btus are in a gallon of gas? Use this easy and mobile-friendly calculator to convert between gallons of gas and btus. Just type the number of gallons of gas into the box and the conversion will be performed automatically.
www.calculateme.com

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now beaming power down from space would be a good idea.
it's called the sun ... to each household + a little wind turbine + a little turbine in your downspouts + some cyanobacteria in a tank to power computers, phones and more + an incinerator with exhaust exchange to burn your garbage - large plastic batteries to store energy.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Hemp Ethanol and Methanol​

Using processes like gasification and acid hydrolysis, hemp can produce both ethanol and methanol as needed. These types of gases are sometimes referred to as hempanol.

Ethanol makes up about 10% of most conventional gasoline, and methanol (an even lower-cost alternative) is used in racing cars in countries throughout the world and has been recognized as a promising alternative fuel under the Energy Policy Act of 1992.

The entire plant—including the stalks, seeds, and flowers—can be used to produce these alcohol-based fuels.

Ethanol production: Converting hemp into ethanol requires a process called cellulolysis, whereby the cellulose content in the plant is pre-treated and converted into sugars which are then fermented and distilled for use as fuel.

Methanol production: Methanol is created through a dry distillation process like pyrolysis. The organic material is subject to thermal decomposition, a process that alters the composition of the plant and produces gases that can then be condensed into methanol.

Hemp Biodiesel​

Even more exciting is the potential of biodiesel. Scientists have been testing the potential of biodiesel (and particularly vegetable oil) as an automotive fuel for more than 100 years, and even the original Ford vehicles ran on this type of fuel.

Biodiesel is extracted from the seed oil and is the only alternative fuel source that can work in any diesel engine. It’s safe to store, handle, and transport, and it’s biodegradable. It also has a much higher flashpoint than petroleum-based diesel fuel (300 F vs 125 F), so it’s much less flammable.

It’s the only alternative fuel to complete EPA Tier I Health Effects Testing under the Clean Air Act, and best of all, it really works. Biodiesel has been common in Europe for more than two decades, and it has successfully completed more than 30 million road miles in the U.S. As hemp continues to become more commonplace, hemp biofuel may be a major contender in our quest for green fuel sources.

St. Phatty

2022-06-20_03-18-31.jpg

The sort of sad thing is, EVERYONE has the ability to make natural gas.

I used to be neighbors with some folks from Oregon who got tired of "homesteading" and moved to San Diego.

They used a 55 gallon drum and a 40 gallon drum, to collect the poop, and the Methane. Then ran a copper line, with a valve, from the upside down drum to their stove.

Hempy McNoodle

Hemp Ethanol and Methanol​

Using processes like gasification and acid hydrolysis, hemp can produce both ethanol and methanol as needed. These types of gases are sometimes referred to as hempanol.

Ethanol makes up about 10% of most conventional gasoline, and methanol (an even lower-cost alternative) is used in racing cars in countries throughout the world and has been recognized as a promising alternative fuel under the Energy Policy Act of 1992.

The entire plant—including the stalks, seeds, and flowers—can be used to produce these alcohol-based fuels.

Ethanol production: Converting hemp into ethanol requires a process called cellulolysis, whereby the cellulose content in the plant is pre-treated and converted into sugars which are then fermented and distilled for use as fuel.

Methanol production: Methanol is created through a dry distillation process like pyrolysis. The organic material is subject to thermal decomposition, a process that alters the composition of the plant and produces gases that can then be condensed into methanol.

Hemp Biodiesel​

Even more exciting is the potential of biodiesel. Scientists have been testing the potential of biodiesel (and particularly vegetable oil) as an automotive fuel for more than 100 years, and even the original Ford vehicles ran on this type of fuel.

Biodiesel is extracted from the seed oil and is the only alternative fuel source that can work in any diesel engine. It’s safe to store, handle, and transport, and it’s biodegradable. It also has a much higher flashpoint than petroleum-based diesel fuel (300 F vs 125 F), so it’s much less flammable.

It’s the only alternative fuel to complete EPA Tier I Health Effects Testing under the Clean Air Act, and best of all, it really works. Biodiesel has been common in Europe for more than two decades, and it has successfully completed more than 30 million road miles in the U.S. As hemp continues to become more commonplace, hemp biofuel may be a major contender in our quest for green fuel sources.

I'm forgetful in my old age. Who was it again, that legalized hemp farming in the US?? :smoker:

Three Berries

I'm forgetful in my old age. Who was it again, that legalized hemp farming in the US?? :smoker:
Hemp use to grow around me like a weed. Big farmer product pre WWII. Then they hired Barney Fife types with 2,4,D and sprayers to eradicate the harmless weed.

Illinois legalized farming of hemp again a couple of years ago. But as usual the state bureaucracy can't figure out how to make sure they first get their cut, so few are growing it.

St. Phatty

I just moved about 1000 pounds of carbon away from the wood fence, to the Kiln area, so it can't light the house on fire.

Wish someone here at ICMag could hook me up with Goldman Sachs for some carbon credits. :)

I know a soil scientist that runs a compost facility that does not like to talk publicly about their CO2 generation. About 2500 tons a day, when they average 3000 truck-loads a day coming in.

If they had to pay for the carbon emissions on their compost, they'd go out of business.

I think in the long run, CO2 from composting will be exempted from the carbon police.

On the other hand, there really is some money to be made there. Hook me up Baby ! !

This is the part where I sit at my desk for an hour. Then I go in the bathroom and de-tick. I can feel one on my knee right now.

Caught a tick yesterday and fed it to a bird.

Hempy McNoodle

I just moved about 1000 pounds of carbon away from the wood fence, to the Kiln area, so it can't light the house on fire.

Wish someone here at ICMag could hook me up with Goldman Sachs for some carbon credits. :)

I know a soil scientist that runs a compost facility that does not like to talk publicly about their CO2 generation. About 2500 tons a day, when they average 3000 truck-loads a day coming in.

If they had to pay for the carbon emissions on their compost, they'd go out of business.

I think in the long run, CO2 from composting will be exempted from the carbon police.

On the other hand, there really is some money to be made there. Hook me up Baby ! !

This is the part where I sit at my desk for an hour. Then I go in the bathroom and de-tick. I can feel one on my knee right now.

Shhhh! Don't let the climatophobes find out. They'll make composting and gardening illegal.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 democrats from Oregon but McTurtle pushed it through to get his seat greased for Kentucky. My friend has been running the U of Kentucky hemp horticultural trials for 8 years.
It sure would be great if they promoted the infrastructure to process it and therefore buy it from farmers, so we can make some headway using sustainable resources. Instead the greedballs led by Trump > lets drill everywhere and frac-frac-frac.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shhhh! Don't let the climatophobes find out. They'll make composting and gardening illegal.
Better - gaswise to use compost opposed to manufactured fertilizers. As I mentioned previously I designed a system some years back to cycle gases emitted by composting and fermenting organic matter to run diesel tractors and to charge batteries. An end goal was to put electric motors in farm tractors. Do you know diesel engines can run on natural gases with an injector conversion?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

came in from the bush with mi amigos - at the cafe table, twisting off ticks; counter-clockwise right? collecting rather large pile in the ashtry - yes that long ago - set the pile ablaze - waitress mildly grossed out. those were the days...