What's new

Its Not a Weed!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i guess strictly speaking weed is incorrect, still i must admit to using that phrase myself some times. it's generally at those moments during growing when some thing or other is not as perfect as i wanted it to be, but i still know that the plants will adapt and still do well, even if lets say my max temp reaches 28 instead of 25. at the point where i decide to accept the situation and ie not go out and buy an AC, i find that phrase going through my head in terms of ahh fuck it, it's a weed after all, rofl. what i'm really saying by that phrase is, most cannabis is strong and vigorous, i.e. it grows like a weed. or i say it when my tank ec ends up at 1.4 when i was aiming for 1.5 after filling and adding all the additives, that's when i tell my self it's only a weed. it will survive, adapt and thrive...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
except that it seems the term may be used correctly to refer to plants which grow in water in the wild, such as reeds or cattails.

weed |wēd|
noun
• any wild plant growing in salt or fresh water.

I still don't think this applies to cannabis, since it won't grow wild in marshes, bogs or swamps.

perhaps but i bet that observation was human born

in these example of the wild (marshes, bogs or swamps) there are 3 focal points to be perceived, one of plant growing in water, one of the water where the plant is growing, and one of the wild

in the wild without man the ebb and flow of land and water meets in the form of wetlands so is the plant invasive or the water invasive in this example or is ti rightly that they both play their part in maintaining equilibrium

in the eyes of the human observer one might project that the water as pure and the plants are not, thus as they leave land they are "invading" the water, but I think the bias in this scenario is our own paradigm of ego not the paradigm of how the ecosystem is actualy perceives things :)

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
perhaps but i bet that observation was human born

in these example of the wild (marshes, bogs or swamps) there are 3 focal points to be perceived, one of plant growing in water, one of the water where the plant is growing, and one of the wild

in the wild without man the ebb and flow of land and water meets in the form of wetlands so is the plant invasive or the water invasive in this example or is ti rightly that they both play their part in maintaining equilibrium

in the eyes of the human observer one might project that the water as pure and the plants are not, thus as they leave land they are "invading" the water, but I think the bias in this scenario is our own paradigm of ego not the paradigm of how the ecosystem is actualy perceives things :)

Of course, all language and the words used for anything are dependent on man's observing the thing so that he could name the thing.

The definition "A plant that interferes with management objectives for a given area of land at a given point in time." is entirely dependent on human interaction and perception, since only we have management objectives for land.

The definition "any wild plant growing in salt or fresh water." is independent of human interaction and perception, in that, the plant would be growing and in water even if the human species had never evolved the ability to name it, and the concept of invasive or undesirable are irrelevant to the definition.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how can we ever be objective about a plant we love so much? :D

if weed implies it's easy to grow then i would say that is mostly true. its hard to think of a seed that germinates quicker or easier, mj is easy to grow, propagate and make seeds from, even easy to cross with another.

Etymologically, "weed" derives from the Old English word for "grass" or "herb," but during the Middle Ages the meaning has changed to indicate an undesirable plant that grows where it is not wanted, especially among agricultural plots. This has historically been the primary meaning of the word, although in the nineteenth century, American writers grew increasingly aware that calling a plant a "weed" was an arbitrary human judgment, as there is no natural category of weeds. In the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, a weed "is a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered." Today, biologists tend to share that opinion, since many of the plants that are designated as weeds are, in fact, closely related to popular crops. Indeed, "weed" has fallen out of usage among biologists, although those who study agriculture still find the term useful in discussions of weed control and management.

sac beh

Apart from the context of growing, I try to avoid "weed" in the political sphere of cannabis advocacy. The term has too many bad associations that lead to mis-information. Cannabis and herb are more neutral and scientific.

But I have no issue using slang among other knowledgeable friends..

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
"The political sphere of cannabis advocacy". The term has too many bad associations that lead to mis-information.

GrinStick

for a 'weed' to have been cultivated for thousands of years as a staple of existence, you'd think peeps could elevate its status somewhat and declare that 'everyone in the kingdom' must produce their share, for the good of the peeps, of course!
oh I had my joe already, gotta pay homage to the lowly 'weed' now.

S

Smoke Buddy

I love burnin rope all day long...

A friend with weed is a friend indeed...

When asked by my 90+ year old neighbor what is that big bush in your garden? I replied, Its an herb of course and she said, I used to grow my own herbs too... still have some seeds around here somewhere... you know Irv and I are from the bay area right? Oh yeah.

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet

Its all good.

:rasta:

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
It started out as a weed, probably somewhere in southern china about 5000 years ago. But in my view, around 4900 Bc, it became a garden cultivar. Not a weed

As an outdoor grower, i wish it was a weed and i wish it grew like a weed. It does neither. If you could gather up the top 100 strains of smoke, you would have 100 of the most weak, susceptable, vulnerable cultivated plants in existence in my view, and will survive the great outdoors ONLY if someone is watching over them on a very regular basis. Because of its legal status, breeders haven t had the opportunity to develop hardy, disease, drought resistant strains and outdoor growers suffer the results of that problem.

The hybrids of today, all of them, are weak, vulnerable plants that will barely survive the natural enviroment and only if they have help from man. Ive grown out dozens of strains outdoors and have yet to find one that doesnt fit into that category. Hybrid cannabis is a very tender, tedious, high maintanance plant and its a challenge to get it to thrive outdoors

burningfire

Veteran
It started out as a weed, probably somewhere in southern china about 5000 years ago. But in my view, around 4900 Bc, it became a garden cultivar. Not a weed

As an outdoor grower, i wish it was a weed and i wish it grew like a weed. It does neither. If you could gather up the top 100 strains of smoke, you would have 100 of the most weak, susceptable, vulnerable cultivated plants in existence in my view, and will survive the great outdoors ONLY if someone is watching over them on a very regular basis. Because of its legal status, breeders haven t had the opportunity to develop hardy, disease, drought resistant strains and outdoor growers suffer the results of that problem.

The hybrids of today, all of them, are weak, vulnerable plants that will barely survive the natural enviroment and only if they have help from man. Ive grown out dozens of strains outdoors and have yet to find one that doesnt fit into that category. Hybrid cannabis is a very tender, tedious, high maintanance plant and its a challenge to get it to thrive outdoors

there's some great smoke to be found in outdoor hardy plants, many I would put in the top100, hybrids too, not quite sativa or indicas, they meet in nature, hybrids are not only made indoors.

Trillion

There is no such thing as a plant 'that grows like a weed'.

There is no common properties shared by plants designated as weeds other than they weren't intentionally planted by man. Some grow quick some grow slow, it's just the fast growing ones are the ones people tend to notice.

It's very misleading how people use the word 'weed' as if it's a family of plants.

Latest posts

Latest posts