What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Isolation of THCA

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been recreational user (or so I thought) for years/aeons...Fell down the med rabbit-hole when oldest son was diagnosed with a glioblastoma. Now, I'm chowing down on every scrap, parcel and splinter of information that I can find to gnaw on...medical studies, anecdotal evidence, misinformation, disinfomration - it's all grist for the mill. Life in wartime. Keeping in mind that due to the forces of Prohibition, much remains like the resemblance of a mirage of quicksand and I try to be discerning. Lots of anecdotal evidence points to something is going on - even if we don't know what it is, do we Mr. Jones? <snip>

Eat hardy: :biggrin:

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/GSCListJan2014CONDITIONS.pdf

Best, John

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
BTW, FYI, Dronabinol at least Marinol, is not 100% pure THC, it is allowed by the FDA to have either .5 or 5% I forget, of other Cannabiniods and compounds, I think the most common is delta 8 THC an artifact of the synthesis process, which is active and alters the effects of THC, so again you have not ever taken pure THC, I suspect. I know I am splitting hairs but when you say pure, I have my doubts unless you have the ability to synthesize it and then after purify it repeatedly too 100% via HPLC prep work like I have seen done.
-SamS

I guess I assumed it was pharma since it was controlled and you got it legally, I now realize there are other means of satisfying both of those conditions sans pharma, my mistake.

Nope, nothing tested. I didn't screw up either process, but I'll accept that I don't have proof so dronabinol only it is.

I enjoy dronabinol more than bho but it is much more expensive.

As for a lesser amount of THC with terpenes being just as useful, unfortunately it isn't the case for me or I wouldn't continue to bother with dronabinol and other alternatives that are more of a hassle than bho.

Ollie

Veteran
Marinol is a 50/50 combo, due to the method of process, so only half of it is synth THC.

It got debated and informed out at yesterdays Hash Church.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
BTW, FYI, Dronabinol at least Marinol, is not 100% pure THC, it is allowed by the FDA to have either .5 or 5% I forget, of other Cannabiniods and compounds, I think the most common is delta 8 THC an artifact of the synthesis process

The USP specification for dronabinol is no less than 95% of the natural isomer, and there's no reason why any d8 THC wouldn't be removed from it by chromatography.

Marinol is a 50/50 combo, due to the method of process, so only half of it is synth THC.

It got debated and informed out at yesterdays Hash Church.

Church ran too long.

A quick peek in the Merck Index under THC would have cleared that up easily - it says right there that dronabinol and Marinol are a single, correct isomer. The Petrzilka synthesis and patent is stereospecific all the way.

Verwey, A.M.A.; and Witte, A.H.; A rapid method of preparation of THC by Isolation of THCA from hashish; Pharm. Weekblad, 107:415-416, 1972.

That's a typical extraction and a good starting point, until you get to the heating ether on a 300C sand bath part. THC is not really compatible with acids capable of making a low pH, so beware of that.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I did not watch HC but I do remember that Marinol/Dronabinol, is only the active (-) isomer. It would be pretty stupid to not be. And a tiny bit of delta 8 THC leftover from the synthesis.
-SamS

The USP specification for dronabinol is no less than 95% of the natural isomer, and there's no reason why any d8 THC wouldn't be removed from it by chromatography.

The reason could be as simple as it does not legally have to be removed unless more then .5 or 5%. I forgot, it was a very long time ago we did this work.
-SamS

Church ran too long.

A quick peek in the Merck Index under THC would have cleared that up easily - it says right there that dronabinol and Marinol are a single, correct isomer. The Petrzilka synthesis and patent is stereospecific all the way.

That's a typical extraction and a good starting point, until you get to the heating ether on a 300C sand bath part. THC is not really compatible with acids capable of making a low pH, so beware of that.

Ollie

Veteran
But due to the MAFC process, only 50% of the pill is the isomer, rest is just filling (as far as I understanded it by HC)

Horatio made his THCA by destillate AFAIK, but He is up to so many things so You never know.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
But due to the MAFC process, only 50% of the pill is the isomer, rest is just filling (as far as I understanded it by HC)

Horatio made his THCA by destillate AFAIK, but He is up to so many things so You never know.

Yes the pill is THC in sesame oil in a soft capsule. But the THC is all the (-) which is the same as found in plants, except the THC for Marinol has been synthesized, there is no THC (+) in Marinol.
HC was wrong. Or at least anyone that said that Marinol/Dronabinol THC is a 50/50 mixture of the (-) and the (+). It is not.

What do you mean by MAFC? The pill is not 50% THC by weight or contents volume. HC was just plain wrong.
-SamS

Ollie

Veteran
Yes the pill is THC in sesame oil in a soft capsule. But the THC is all the (-) which is the same as found in plants, except the THC for Marinol has been synthesized, there is no THC (+) in Marinol.
HC was wrong. Or at least anyone that said that Marinol/Dronabinol THC is a 50/50 mixture of the (-) and the (+). It is not.

What do you mean by MAFC? The pill is not 50% THC by weight or contents volume. HC was just plain wrong.
-SamS
Thanks for clearing it out and bringing out so valuable information, Big UP.

With the MAFC (manuafacturing process) I was "just" reffering to the HC words/quote about the isomer process yielding 50/50 (-) and (+), but being wrong there is nothing to it.

Much appreciated for Your time taken, to support these threads.

UNITY IN THE COMMUNITY

http://analytical360.com/m/concentrates/415049

I have stil not been able to try this method due to lack of starting material but it was achieved using dilute NaOH from traditional hashish as referenced in the article posted by G.O. Joe earlier in this thread.

Other then horatios thc-a, there is a picture from analytical360 labs on google images showing a white crystalilline powder with 98 percent THC next to it. On analytical 360 web site under test results, the is a GSC extract that Ousted at 85 percent but on 1.5 is activated

Link to above mentioned extract:

Latest posts

Latest posts