What's new

is your hydro store a ripoff? prefer walmurt?

whodair

Veteran
so many people nowadays complain about the big box stores, the corporate greed, and miss the days of mom and pop shop. is there a national hydro store chain? would you shop there if the prices were lower than your current shop?

heres my take: the hydro store has become a little overwhelming with magic potions and lotions. it reminds me of the nutrition centers where you can get all of the dietary supplements, with all of the amazing promises of increased results. food is my dietary supplement, good food.

my feelings are really mixed. i complain about the big box, but i resent mom and pops pricing. what to do?

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
so many people nowadays complain about the big box stores, the corporate greed, and miss the days of mom and pop shop. is there a national hydro store chain? would you shop there if the prices were lower than your current shop?

here's my take: the hydro store has become a little overwhelming with magic potions and lotions. it reminds me of the nutrition centers where you can get all of the dietary supplements, with all of the amazing promises of increased results. food is my dietary supplement, good food.

my feelings are really mixed. i complain about the big box, but i resent mom and pops pricing. what to do?
Personally I believe in competition. If a store or vendor can get it for less and sell it for less...............I'm gonna go buy it for less from them. It matters not to me how large the store is. Everyone complains about the "big box" stores yet............theses places employ millions of people and add even more in tax revenue to local economies.

Hydro shops? YIKES !! These places are a freakin rip off. I hate going there because I know its gonna cost me. My local shop had 10% below retail for a while and now they are actually over retail. I complained about it and got the suggested retail price but the question is..........How many just pay the inflated prices? And potions?..........Yeah...........Its ridiculous for sure. I learned the hard way (by spending thousands) that ya don't need ANY of em. None. Base nutes and that's it. And I get the same yields. And I build anything I can to save cash.........buying the parts from.........."The Big Box Stores" !!

C

CTSV

Hydro Stores are the devil, and they freak me out. I get all my stuff through professional outlets.

I get the feeling all that shit is marketed to weed growers. Who else is going to use a product like "sweet"?

whodair

Veteran
hydro and home brew

hydro and home brew

the brew side of the store doesn't have nearly the selection of products and enhancements. i get the feeling the dro store loves their cash carrying customers that have a nice fat wad to blow

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
my hydro shop is a complete rip off too, I recently got a 400w lumatek ballast with a hydrofarm cool tube and a hortilux super hps bulb and with included shipping it came out to $285 i went to my local hydro shop after getting it and it would have costed me just over 400 there the only thing i get from there is the thicker panda film for $1/ft,

N

NWestCoast

Find a store that will price match. Any price in a store or on the net my hydro store beats by a little bit.

Hydro stores have a lot of competition here though. They are popping up all over.

whodair

Veteran
Hydro Stores are the devil, and they freak me out. I get all my stuff through professional outlets.

I get the feeling all that shit is marketed to weed growers. Who else is going to use a product like "sweet"?

whats a professional outlet bro? where greenhouses/farmers shop? cool!

im urban high density residential and would ahve to do some driving

whodair

Veteran
Find a store that will price match. Any price in a store or on the net my hydro store beats by a little bit.

Hydro stores have a lot of competition here though. They are popping up all over.

when i shop retail i rarely negotiate. uniquely american

hydro store is a rip off for sure.. use only if you are in a jam. pay in cash only, never park nearby. i am mad paranoid in them. i go in get what i need and im out. pretty much anything you can get there you can order online or get at a local greenhouse supplier they are EVERYWHERE!

No kidding, Texas Hydroponics has '420 Specials'... sheesh... seems like they would want to fly a little lower under the radar

What do you mean by 'professional outlets'?

I have yet to go to a hydro shop that didn't make me feel at least a little uneasy. I mean you gotta go in there and act like your not buying stuff for what it's really for. They kinda do the same thing. Meanwhile most places always seem to have that ONE guy lol. You know...the shady one. Then when you leave with all your shit you're afraid that someone might see you leaving with all this grow stuff or someone you know might see you coming outta there.(It's happened to me once. This is why i moved to a larger area lol. Damn small towns) Plus to me it's as disappointing as when you first found out that strippers didn't talk to you because they liked ya, they just wanted your money(A sad day in every young 20 something man's life lol). That's all these places want for the most part, sell you a bunch of expensive stuff which is probably overkill, and like Pirate said: you just don't most need it.

Nugz

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your local hydro shop takes the piss then f them off,, we don't need them!!!

Local shops are ok,, but the ones outta-town are usually slightly kinder,, :joint:

B

BigTex

You are all right on the money as far as I'm concerned. As for grow goods( lights and stuff) I always use an electrical supply. I'm sure some of you will disagree but as far as I'm concerned an HID light is still just an HID, if it was specifically made to be used for growing or to illuminate a parking lot. As far as nutes go I buy most of my nuts at home depot. They have started carrying guite a bit in the way of organics. Seriously don't laugh unless you've checked em out! All those majic potions at the dro stores reminds me of an old west traveling salesman going around peddeling "snake oil". On my last grow I bought some pure blend bloom formula from a dro store($50/gal.) After three weeks of using it I switched back to a bloom formula I picked up at home depot for alot less. I swear the results were better. My setup is totally homeade for less than $1000 and my first run made 3 killa lbs. Check out my pics if you like. You can for sure see the homemadeness. I think the dro stores are crap!!!

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
My local stores are. I made a day trip to a cheaper one (all cash, don't like to ship equipment) and saved a boatload just by making a long drive. My local shop barely will negotiate unless you are really buying in bulk and generally mark up prices 50-100% over retail. Its just ridiculous. I'll stop by the local one usually to see if they want to sell me something at a reasonable price, but rarely ever do they.

whodair

Veteran

sweet? thats already in the dutch breeding, enough for my taste. what about a dead skunk product?

A

Amstel Light

Hydro Stores are the devil, and they freak me out.

I have yet to go to a hydro shop that didn't make me feel at least a little uneasy. Meanwhile most places always seem to have that ONE guy lol. You know...the shady one. Plus to me it's as disappointing as when you first found out that strippers didn't talk to you because they liked ya, they just wanted your money(A sad day in every young 20 something man's life lol).

Nugz
HAAHAHAA funny chit yea i can't help but feel like a fish in a bowl right when i step into the place .. yea that ONE guy is you to me LOL everybody is a culprit it's kinda funny!
so to the op's question i assume Canada is a lil different right? I now live within a days drive of Toronto they must have better prices and less fascist than USA?

whodair

Veteran
hydrofarm, general hydroponics

hydrofarm, general hydroponics

do the big hydro manufacturers distribute through any major outlets or mainstream retailers?

if we were talking coffee, pizza, burgers...then im local. i dont drink at TGI fridays or applebees chains. but i feel im not getting value in my purchases from the local shop. my local dives give me great service and personality which i enjoy. the dro shop is a lame ripoff.

whodair

Veteran
HAAHAHAA funny chit yea i can't help but feel like a fish in a bowl right when i step into the place .. yea that ONE guy is you to me LOL everybody is a culprit it's kinda funny!
so to the op's question i assume Canada is a lil different right? I now live within a days drive of Toronto they must have better prices and less fascist than USA?

toronto and niagara falls have seed bank outlets i think. but canadians pay more for electronic stuff i believe. i have to stop posting things i know nothing about!

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
Yep hydro shops are high in prices
BUT if it wasn't for the fking WAR ON POT these stores
would get alot more costumers and could be a lot more competitive
in price.

Even perelite is pricey at my local hydro shops, alot of products are cheaper at local garden centers except they dont sell the same products that the hydro store sells like Advanced or general. I would expect that the garden centers would be able to sell those products cheaper if they got them in, but I guess there garden centers not hydro shops.