What's new

is there something up with these?

dtoker

hi all, just a bit concerned as ive noticed strange brown patches on two of the lower leaves of my smaller plant? also the initial tiny leaves that fold out of the seed have started to yellow quite a bit, i guess thats that plant using up their goodness but im not sure?

the strain is mandala hashberry at about 2 weeks on 20/4 in 50% john innes number 1 45% perlite and 5% bone meal.

anyway here are the leaf pics and the pic of the yellowing hopefully someone can tell me if its normal or not :confused:

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
You have a little hot soil for those seedlings & you added the bone meal. It may have worked better without that. For 45% perlite I don't see much. The tiny yellow cotyledons seed leaves will die that's what the seedling lives on for the first few weeks. You'll need to flush them out. You should use plain potting soil & perlite for your seedlings if at all possible.

dtoker

there is alot of perlite in there mate but the soil is quite sandy and has covered the perlite so u cant really see much. someone on here recommended the john innes potting soil as its got no added nutes or anything apparently? do you think that the bonemeal has caused the brown marks on the leaves then? thanks mate

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Here's some stuff I found. This is the soil correct?

"There were four different grades of the composts originally, containing loam, peat and sand with varying amounts of nutrients depending on the use for the final product. All were sterilised with steam to remove fungal or other microbial pathogens which could damage the plants.
Seed Compost - has the lowest nutrient content and was formulated for seeds, soft cuttings and pricking out delicate seedlings, all of which can be damaged if the fertility is too high."
No. 1 - for sowing large seeds and pricking out most other seedlings and rooted cuttings.
No. 2 - for potting-on most plants it contains twice the added nutrients of No.1.
No. 3 - has the highest nutrient content for potting mature plants and shrubs.

John Innes No. 1 7 parts loam
3 parts peat
2 parts sand 0.6kg ground limestone
1.2kg hoof & horn,1.2kg superphosphate
600g Potassium Sulphate

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/compost_johninnes.htm

http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/top-dressing.html
hoof & horn
Analysis - nitrogen = 14, phosphorus = 2, potassium = 0

http://www.actahort.org/books/8/8_9.htm

dtoker

so it appears the soil isnt as 'pure' as i had thought and will have way 2 much nitrogen in since i added some bone meal aswel?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Dude, in order for him to have helped you properly we need more information, I would not go by his advice, you can do some search and find out how many people dislike him do to him going around thinking he knows it all and giving people piss poor advice.

So if you really want it fixed, asnwer as many of these questions possible and me or anyone else can help you to fix your problem correctly.
your spotting could be caused by a lot of things, Your soil is not too hot, otherwise there would be other problems, the amount of bone meal you added would not burn them, if they showed no problems with the size they were from seed then they are not going to show problems now....... so sirgrassalot has no fucking clue wtf he is talking about; dude needs to go learn how to grow in a cannabis college and be shown in person who to fix shit.

SOIL:
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What Nutrient's are you using?How much of each with how much water? How Often? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

dtoker

hi there stitch, i was hoping you would show up mate lol! so you think my soil mix is going to be ok then bro?

What STRAIN are you growing? Mandala Hashberry
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) Seed
What is the age of your plants? Approx 2 weeks
How Tall are the plants? Just over 1"
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Vegetative
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) none yet...
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) 1 litre
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) John Innes no1, with approx 45% perlite and 5% bone meal mixed in
What Nutrient's are you using?How much of each with how much water? How Often? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* None yet..
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? n/a
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? Not tested yet, the water distilled and left to stand for 24 hours though. PH pen on its way from ebay
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? n/a
How often are you watering? Approx every 2 1/2 days, when they pots are real dry and light.
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? n/a
What size bulb are you using? 2 x 30watt 5000k CFLS
What is the distance to the canopy? approx 1 1/2"
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) The gauge ive got says moderate
What is the canopy temperature? Hovering around 28 degrees c
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) At night the temp goes down to around 23 c
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 36 cfm fan pulling through the cab
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Yes, a 40mm fan on low speed
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? No
Is your water HARD or SOFT? Not sure, i would say average
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Distilled
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? No
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? No
Are plant's infected with pest's? No

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
I would also only use tap water. My advice is correct on your soil. I'll never ask anyone to fill that question chart out they should use the Infirmary chart but it does help some people make educated guesses. Let the experts ask if they need it. None of my friends ever ratted on me Now who is liked or disliked LoL I know why too.

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
You are using distilled water which has no micronutrients, 5% bonemeal pfft, if that causes burn, then any mixture that is out there even with no nutes will cause a burn!

Your problem looks to be either pH or calcium related.

Since you have not used nutes and your water has no micros your plants are lacking micronutrients. plants need these micros with the water we give them, but since they are not getting any, you need to supplement them with micros like cal mag, sensi cal, catalyst, microblast, any one of these will do.
Or if you can, just use plain tap water for a bit.

Also to make sure and to get used to it, get testing your pH it will be very important.

Sometimes nutrients change the pH values depending on how alkaline or acidic they are, so it'[s important to check it to make sure it's within range for the kind of mixture you are using.

So again, since he does not ask these questions, he makes guesses on which one it could be and 9 times out of 10 he is wrong.
There is/was another member who makes the same mistakes as he,
Black velvet/lady420/ buzz lightyear and sirgrassalot should get together. because they both make shit advice, those 2 are a match made in heaven! If there would be any friendship that could last, it would be them 2!
Cause they are 2 peas in a pod!

Now if sirgrassalot was smart, he would have spotted that; but he goes around telling people stuff trying to make it look like he knows, but all he knows is shit.

HE makes more than educated guesses, he makes ones that are always wrong.

I'll never ask anyone to fill that question chart out they should use the Infirmary chart but it does help some people make educated guesses

This right here should be proof he has no idea what he is talking about.
He said your soil is hot right?
well if it was hot there would be more damage done to the plant than one spot, not to mention those dots can be caused by a multitude of things, so the questions are asked to narrow the problems down, since nutrient related deficiencies can be caused by pH lockout and overfertilizing or a deficiency, so in order to find out why we need these questions and since he does not ask for them, this shows he wants the quick way out, sirgrassalot is extremely lazy and wants hand outs so now you see why he does not know shit, he never learns his lessons.

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Fixation Fixation Fixation Blah Blah Blah

I hope you get your meds growing, you need them. Thanks for the laff.

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Hahaha, see dtoker, he could not comment on my post, cause he could care less if he fucks your plants up or not, perfect proof with this post right here!

sirgrassalot said:
Fixation Fixation Fixation Blah Blah Blah

I hope you get your meds growing, you need them. Thanks for the laff.

no no, thanks for the laugh :)
LOL, if anyone has a fixation problem, it's you to the tea, going around giving bad advice, hey you found something you are good at, also very fixated too :)

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'll take Stitches advice any time over sirgrassalot's ....and stopt trolling stitch man its pathetic...

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
It's hard to syphon the info between the flame so lets get it straight. Hot soil & distilled water = No good

Use tap water & regular potting soil/ perlite you wouldn't be having issues.

I'm not here to debate anything with lunatics.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
I'm not here to debate anything with lunatics.

but that's all you do.....

I would always take Stitch's advice. She has more than proven herself over the 4 years here and on OG, as opposed to a 2 month old, loudmouthed noobie troll who has some kind of imaginary cheering section and a serious hard on for confrontation....

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
This is funny take who evers advice you want. Are you not a man that can think for himself tsk tsk tsk silly laddy

I was born with an asshole I need no other.

Who said I was new?? I haven't posted doesn't mean I'm new at growing or the forums. You can comprehend that, can't you? When is it OK to flame, I could really bitch slap a flamer than. I've been real nice up to now. You flame peeps & expect no one to do nothing, try it in the street you''ll end up with no teeth. I think you're quite the coward. I suggest you mind your own business & see how that goes instead of the Wanker act you're trying to pull off. Anyone with any intelligence can see who starts the flaming laddy. Right from the first few weeks posting & the friendly two faced PMS from the old flame. That's where this comes from nothing about me. I'll always stand up for myself I don't care what the opposition may be. When I'm right I'm right & stand on all I've posted.

Last edited:

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
dtoker if your soil was too hot then those little girls would be yellowed, curled and crispy on the edges after growing in it for 2 weeks, not blotching in the middle of a leaf. In fact the yellowing cotyledons show that the plants have exhausted their internal food supply and are now feeding nicely on your soil, hence the deep green colour and lack of tip burn. They will need liquid nutes soon as the soil will be depleted and out of balance. Just go easy with the first feeding (1/2 strength) till you know how your plants like it. CFLs aren't a lot of light energy, so keep that in mind when feeding....don't push them too hard. More light, more ferts.

I'd wager either your ph is low, and you're getting calcium lockout, but only a digipen can tell you accurately. If not then you are not feeding enough cal (like Stitch suggests) and MJ plants like the cal. I feed CalMax every 10 days or so.

It's easy to get info through the flaming....you just disregard the troll and his gruntings from under the bridge....

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
sirgrassalot said:
This is funny take who evers advice you want. Are you not a man that can think for himself tsk tsk tsk silly laddy

I was born with an asshole I need no other.

Another rude and insulting post from the troll who makes no effort to get along with anyone. His arrogance prevents that and causes him to confront and compete and lash out at all who challenge his mighty word.....

This one at least cannot be edited away like all your other past droppings.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Oh no it's never about you. Always blaming someone else.

The internet tough guy act is a joke, this ain't the street, laddy.

Call me names, call me coward, call me whatever, it's all a sad joke on you and you make yourself look more and more ridiculous for all to see.

Wanker Act........ you got one thing right anyway.....:biglaugh:

dtoker

thanks for the replys, looks like a warzone in here lol!! just got back from work and its late, just checked on the little ones and still the same, gave them a good watering with tap water earlier so hopefully they enjoyed it! ill read further in reply in the morning, cheers all

Latest posts

Latest posts