What's new

is there an alternative to smart pots??

ambertrich

Veteran
Just to throw another name out for you, have a look at Earth Juice Aerobags.

They are less expenive than smart pots, but just as nice IMO. Stitching is up to par with the ones I have. Got the 1 gal and 3 gal and love em so far. Nice sturdy handles, again with solid stitching.

I got a 20 pack of the 1 gal for $39 with free shipping from Greenfire.
I think 20 of the 3 gal were $54 with free ship.

Check em out.

M

Milhouse

I do notice fungus gnats coming in and out of the little holes throughout. I do see it as much of a problem unless you have an infestation. I treat my plants with Neem Oil and crushed up Mosquito dunks throughout Veg and beginning of flower. Never had much of an issue with them. Now that Spring/Summer is around the corner, i will be watching a little more closely to see if they get worse.

LeeROI

I have the Rootbuilder 2 pots which are a firm plastic option. They seem to be working well so far :watchplant:

rootbuilder3g2.jpg

I bought a set of those online and I'll stick with Smart Pots. I haven't used the Rootbuilder 2 but they don't seem to be the quality of Air Pots. The bottom is solid plastic and the holes would leak coco coir, I think.

S

Stray

air-pots are similar to the rootbuilders i think,well they look like them!!! and have had great success with them (the air pots),but it's like anything in life you have to kinda master them..how to assemble them correctly!! packing them with the medium properly and ensuring that you water slowly (if you hand feed!!)
picture.php

M

mugenbao

make ur own. one of the member here does. i forgot who tho sorry. good luck
There are many who do. Some people do it big, with more expensive material, for outdoor growing. Some people do it small, like me. I made these (and about 15 more) 2 gal. pots out of breathable fabric (garden Frost Blanket material from Lowes) for about $0.50 each ($12 total cost) :

picture.php

I have half a dozen 3-gal real Smart Pots also, and there's no question that they are much higher quality than the stuff I made myself, and will last much longer, but there's no noticeable difference in plant growth or root density.

ICMag member Aeroguerilla posted the picture below of the material he was using to make 200-gal Smart Pots for an outdoor grow:

picture.php

There are so many other examples, too :)

Wav3F0rm

felt fabric and window screen also works well for DIY airpots, very cheap, but a little time consuming to make. well worth it though, they work amazingly.

thats dope

There are many who do. Some people do it big, with more expensive material, for outdoor growing. Some people do it small, like me. I made these (and about 15 more) 2 gal. pots out of breathable fabric (garden Frost Blanket material from Lowes) for about $0.50 each ($12 total cost) :

View Image

I have half a dozen 3-gal real Smart Pots also, and there's no question that they are much higher quality than the stuff I made myself, and will last much longer, but there's no noticeable difference in plant growth or root density.

ICMag member Aeroguerilla posted the picture below of the material he was using to make 200-gal Smart Pots for an outdoor grow:

View Image

There are so many other examples, too :)

What is the density/weight of the fabric? 3 oz, 4 oz, etc?

I am looking at Dewitt 3 oz landscape fabric reenforced with wire netting/cage fencing . Does anyone know what smart pots fabric weight is?

Latest posts

Latest posts