What's new

Is suicide selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddrew

Veteran
I'd wager most here making the "most selfish thing one can do" argument have never experienced severe depression...and have absolutely NO FUCKIN IDEA what it feels like. If you HAVE experienced severe depression, I can't imagine you saying "its the most selfish thing one can do."

And I'd wager that 95% of the people who killed themselves as a result of severe depression could have had much happier meaningful lives if they had received the proper treatment, that's the sad thing about suicide from depression, the cause is treatable most times, but people stuck in the depths of it can't see that at the time.

I've seen severe depression first hand, and also the result of it going untreated in someone close to me, let me know when you have seen both, gives a new perspective IMO.

M

movingtocally

And I'd wager that 95% of the people who killed themselves as a result of severe depression could have had much happier meaningful lives if they had received the proper treatment, that's the sad thing about suicide from depression, the cause is treatable most times, but people stuck in the depths of it can't see that at the time.

I've seen severe depression first hand, and also the result of it going untreated in someone close to me, let me know when you have seen both, gives a new perspective IMO.

I agree. Except for the implication, or at least as I percieved it, that all serious depression is correctable. I don't think that's true. I think some people just have to fit that 5 percent rule in Darwinian Theory, you know? They just weren't meant to be. I don't think, for example, I'll ever be happy. And I don't think I'm lacking treatment or a cure or proper help. I think that's just who I am-it's what my genes and my life experiences combined to create.

ddrew

Veteran
I agree. Except for the implication, or at least as I percieved it, that all serious depression is correctable. I don't think that's true. I think some people just have to fit that 5 percent rule in Darwinian Theory, you know? They just weren't meant to be. I don't think, for example, I'll ever be happy. And I don't think I'm lacking treatment or a cure or proper help. I think that's just who I am-it's what my genes and my life experiences combined to create.

Agreed.
Not all depression is treatable, and not all people treated make what we would consider a "Full recovery"
You can kill yourself anytime, may as well take a shot at feeling better first I say.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

the thinnest thread of hope can carry you over the
deepest of chasm of despair if you can just hold on.

I've hurt and suffered deep depression and despair
myself over the years, there were times when I had
wished not to wake up in the morning but there was
never a moment when I'd consider ending it all.......

NOKUY

Veteran

the thinnest thread of hope can carry you over the
deepest of chasm of despair if you can just hold on.

I've hurt and suffered deep depression and despair
myself over the years, there were times when I had
wished not to wake up in the morning but there was
never a moment when I'd consider ending it all.......

me tooo bro, and there were some days that my dad kiked my ass up out of bed to go cut firewood or go icefishing,

O

ocean99

I think about death a lot. If I'm gonna commit suicide I'm gonna make sure I do something that will be remembered for decades. I've had dreams where I'm viewing the effects of my death and it's trippy as fuck, mostly delusions of grandeur like seeing my death be the catalyst for true change in America. Other dreams I just kill a bunch of cops until one of them finally puts a bullet in me.

If you're gonna off yourself donate your soul to a worthy cause.

Yummybud

Veteran
wtf? how is killing cops a worthy cause. You know cops don't make laws and don't have any political power right? Its the politicians and rich guys that have a say in politics and what effects everyone. cops are just the soldiers of the state, you're fighting the wrong people.

anyways about suicide I've thought about it a lot and if I didn't have any family I'd definately have done it before because it wouldn't matter. I feel bad tough thinking about fking up my family it'd be like killing my family in a way because they probably wouldn't ever be fully happy because of me.

and I don't think suicide is hard. when you are seriously depressed you feel a lot of pain. Until you are actually seriously depressed you won't understand. Depression can make you actually feel physically sick, I've felt like that before. you actually feel ill 24/7 at least I've felt like that before. And putting a gun to your head or jumping off a bridge will seem like a relief from that pain.

plus there are easier ways to go like carbon monoxide which takes less balls than jumping off a bridge or blowing your head off and is very reliable and lethal.

the reason for suicide is pretty simple actually, when pain exeeds the amount you can cope you feel suicidal.

NOKUY

Veteran
wtf? how is killing cops a worthy cause. You know cops don't make laws and don't have any political power right? Its the politicians and rich guys that have a say in politics and what effects everyone. cops are just the soldiers of the state, you're fighting the wrong people.

anyways about suicide I've thought about it a lot and if I didn't have any family I'd definately have done it before because it wouldn't matter. I feel bad tough thinking about fking up my family it'd be like killing my family in a way because they probably wouldn't ever be fully happy because of me.

and I don't think suicide is hard. when you are seriously depressed you feel a lot of pain. Until you are actually seriously depressed you won't understand. Depression can make you actually feel physically sick, I've felt like that before. you actually feel ill 24/7 at least I've felt like that before. And putting a gun to your head or jumping off a bridge will seem like a relief from that pain.

plus there are easier ways to go like carbon monoxide which takes less balls than jumping off a bridge or blowing your head off and is very reliable and lethal.

the reason for suicide is pretty simple actually, when pain exeeds the amount you can cope you feel suicidal.

youve thought about it alot.

This is kinda strange as I buried my cousin today who apparently took his own life. There is an ongoing police investigation but the immediate consensus is that he committed suicide. I havent once since i found out three days ago thought that he was selfish in what he did. If anyone was at the funeral today they wouldve thought the same. He was a miracle in the first place. Had a bad heart when he was born, bad bones, grew up with a speech impediment and under the wing of a strict baptist mother and father. He was the baby of the family. I dont know for sure but he was either slightly retarded mentally or socially? Whatever, he was a loving person, and he loved Jesus and God immensly. Went to church all the time. He made everyone smile. I loved visiting at holidays cause i'd see him and his brother and we'd always have a good old time shooting guns or to sneak off and toke a joint. He met a woman and they loved each other and less than a month ago they got married and took their honeymoon down in florida where my brother lives. ...he was so happy at the wedding.

I dont think what he did was selfish because he already gave SO much to everyone he knew. The church was PACKED front to back, no standing room left, overfilling to the halls. The procession was a mile long to the cemetery. No one IMO seemed like he had done it to hurt us. We were just left with the sick questions, "How?" and "Why?"

Unfortunately this topic is way bigger than just a forum post and it will take me a lot of joints to figure out what it means to me in the end. I just want to know why.

FYI the police investigation is looking into a possible murder. its the only thing that makes sense in my mind

Dont read this paragraph if you're already tired of this post, im just indulging my mourning. Sometimes after funerals or when a friend or loved one dies you hear people going around saying things like, "Ah good old Jonny is up in heaven now partying harder than ever, right?" or "Hey, that robin over there! its looking at us, it could be Jonny! God sent Jonny back to say goodbye!!!" I always get irritated by people doing that. I am an asshole mostly but I think the reason it pisses me off so much is cause I dont think God works like that, but who am I to say how God works, right? Funny thing tho.... the night I found out about him dying it began to rain. it rained for 3 solid days, then we had the funeral, and it was barely drizzling at the graveside. It was the hardest funeral I had ever been too. It was the best funeral I had ever been to. I dont want top elaborate on that. I just want to say that after we had laid him to rest the sun finally came out and began to shine bright again.... and I truly believe that God was so crushed by his death that he made it rain for that time and when we had finally said goodbye he opened up the heavens and gave us sunshine again.... arent I the fool?

NOKUY

Veteran
I think about death a lot. If I'm gonna commit suicide I'm gonna make sure I do something that will be remembered for decades. I've had dreams where I'm viewing the effects of my death and it's trippy as fuck, mostly delusions of grandeur like seeing my death be the catalyst for true change in America. Other dreams I just kill a bunch of cops until one of them finally puts a bullet in me.

If you're gonna off yourself donate your soul to a worthy cause.

im only posting this cuz what u said..

...fuckinn bro had a will and a way....:nanana:

H

Hal

yep

go sit your ass in ICU for a few days.....come back and talk to me then.

LOFL....

I was in a terrible car wreck when I was 18 years old, was in the hospital for a month, was in ICU for a few days but I don't remember any of it. I did have some great drugs though during my stay that took away my pain...mmmmmmmm demerol :)

Why don't you try feeling absolutely hopeless for 1000 days or so...then try 2000 days. Oh wait....my mistake, I apologize, you can't do that because you don't have the distinct brain chemistry/life experience that leads to feeling acutely depressed. I feel confident making that statement about you because if you had ever felt deep depression you wouldn't be making such cavalier posts.

Your statement illustrates perfectly one of the problems in this discussion...empathy, or the lack thereof, in the human population. Just like all the other personality traits, empathy exists in individual people in varying degrees, like sense of humor, verbal acuity, etc. Some folks are born with a lot of empathy, some are born with neglible amounts. In this particular case, your lack of empathy shines brightly.

If you haven't "lived it" you really can't understand it.

Ddrew....I agree with you that many/most people suffering from deep depression can be helped with therapy, talk and pharmaceutical. My point is not about those who are lucky enough to receive treatment. I'm talking about those who have no relief from the symptoms of serious depression. The US health care system is awful all around, but especially when it comes to delivering mental health treatment.

ddrew

Veteran
I'm talking about those who have no relief from the symptoms of serious depression. The US health care system is awful all around, but especially when it comes to delivering mental health treatment.

Yes it is awful, it seems to filter a lot of the most seriously mentally ill right out onto the streets as homeless people.
My point is that although decent care can be next to impossible to come by for many of these people, once they have killed themselves they have just changed their chances for recovery from slim to none.

Last edited:

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
i mean how can it be anything but selfish if you are only thinking about yourself??

but id say its not, in cases where one does it to prevent someone else's distress. like in sin city. or that one guy that shot himself on national t.v. a few years back.

A

alpinestar

Suicide is paradoxical to me in that the idea is to remove oneself from a painful situation. The thing is suicide doesn't put you into a new situation - you're just dead. No more you no more thinking no feeling, no nothing at all. So whats the point?

Fu-Ion

The only life you can trully know is your own, and that's it. ..you don't know the next guys pain and how sensitive they are ...maybe it's selfish to call a suicide selfish, you dig..? ..and you hear that "cliche" in many countries, around the world apparently, so it kinda feels just like that ..a cliche, that people seem to repeat to each other ..prolly not even giving it a lot of thought.

Every person is unique ..and so, so is every (sum total) reason(s) for suicides.

People take death too seriously ..but still, see how cheap life is on this earth?!

I personally "ok" suicides ..it's a fucked up world and if you're a fragile person and can't take it anymore, then move on to the "Other Side". Life goes on ..and there is family waiting on the Other Side, and i'm sure they understand these things quite well.

Sure you should try to get over your problems, but if it just wont work out..
MAybe it would be good to actually try to have a serious talk about you ending your life, and how your folks would feel about it..

..And there will be no God to punish you for killing yourself ..some humans(= spirits a.k.a. "angels", Djinn, gods etc.) might try that, but the True Creator wont ...prolly isn't even "around" to do these things. ..it's just us humans playing "heavenly" judges, the god and the devil.

Peace.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Suicide may well be the most selfish thing one can do.

That said, I think suicide can be a noble way of ending one's life when necessary. What I am thinking of is a terminally ill person in pain being allowed to end their life when they see fit.

That should be a basic human right, not something taboo.

Sometimes it is important to be 'selfish' and take care of your own self - is that sinful? What is sin anyway other than someone else's attempt to make you feel guilty for your actions as a way of controlling you?

Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.