Is suicide selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you have a family or loved ones, then yes.
why would you want to pawn your suffering off on those who care for you.
nobody likes a quitter!

I have had a lot of friends commit suicide.. Well not A LOT , in the single digits, but enough...

Its a very sad thing. I feel its very selfish. Absolutely! As the family and friends are the ones that suffer..I feel its the easy way out. THeres nothing you cannot overcome, and I Feel suicide is silly..

GFam

MrMcBean

i doubt many will take the "no its not" side.. but i dont think it has to be selfish, as some people are just sick of being alive.. Its selfish for us to tell them "no u cant commit suicide, you lame quitter!!" when we have no idea what kind of suffering they endure every day because of anything from disease to poverty and insanity.

M

movingtocally

FWIW I've wrestled with it and haven't come down strongly one way or another. Sometimes when I consider it I justify these thoughts by echoing the reality that I never asked to be here. I don't owe anything to anybody. But I think it's very selfish for parents to off themselves; they've taken on responsibility that actually means something.

Tough question to answer IMO.

NOKUY

Veteran
the only way it's not selfish is if you first cut off everyone that cares about you...make them all hate you, or at least forget about your existance.

suicide is the most selfish thing that there is unless you somehow sacrafice your life for the life of another, then its complete opposite.

ive had a friend or two commit suicide, and a grandfather who 'took a nap' in the garage w/ the car running.

think about the ppl it will affect.

M

movingtocally

So where does your responsibility for other's peoples happiness end? Should I choose the career path or the socioeconomic path that a loved one prefers? And so on.

J

Jydsk

There are a few countries where very critical sick people can receive help to commit suicide or end their suffering of different origins ...think about it....your loved ones suffering and its not going to get better ?

Like i said..... a very good question and i'm not for or against, all depends on situation i guess.

NOKUY

Veteran
So where does your responsibility for other's peoples happiness end? Should I choose the career path or the socioeconomic path that a loved one prefers? And so on.

grab a book by thoreau....

like in my quote.

...dont judge or base your existance on others happiness...ya dig?

live your life for yourself, and your real friends/family will shine or fade

suicide is not an option!

M

movingtocally

Yeah. And a physical illness is something we can all relate to, thus we empathize more. But I think a mistake we often make is the assumption that we can relate to the psychological reality of anyone else. Thus we call some people "weak" and so on if they end their lives, using the false assumption that we, too, have "been there." But can we really know what the hell is going on in the head of anyone else? It seems to me to be a mistake to condemn the mysery of others as some sort of weakness based on our own psychology.

zenoonez

Veteran
Of course it is selfish. Think about it. To kill yourself takes a decision by you and only you. You can't take it anymore. Your can't take the pain. However, all actions are selfish in their very nature. If you donate weed you do so because it makes you feel good, because it makes your life better. There is NOTHING wrong with selfishness as it is the nature of our being. I don't see anything wrong with suicide personally. It is your choice what to do with your body. I mean yes, if you leave your family with a ton of debt then that is a bad choice but that is a negative thing because of the situation not because of the act itself. So, lesson for everyone, if you are going to get into a ton of debt, do it in your own name, that way when you kill yourself the bank will have problems coming after your family.

M

movingtocally

Suicide is the easy way out
I don't know if I agree with that. Try putting a loaded gun to your head without shaking.

I think it takes horse balls. It might be selfish but I sure don't think it's easy.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
Some people feel the need to take the easy way out of things. Even if it is their own life. As another person that has witnessed how suicide affects a family, it sure isn't the easy way out for the people that are still alive. I don't even like it when someone makes a joke about suicide anymore.

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
I don't know if I agree with that. Try putting a loaded gun to your head without shaking.

I think it takes horse balls. It might be selfish but I sure don't think it's easy.

Its easier to put said gun your head and pull the trigger than it is to deal with whatever trials and tribulations in your life. Like i said easy way out.Justification of suicide is just as bad, theres no excuse or justification.Easy way out.

N

NOYB

Its easier to put said gun your head and pull the trigger than it is to deal with whatever trials and tribulations in your life.
OK...take a loaded gun, safety off, finger on the trigger and stick it to your head (probably not a good thing to post...lol). Sit there for a minute or two knowing you are THAT close to dying. How easy is it to die? Life is tenuous but think it very difficult actually for someone to kill themselves. I bet your heart would jump, your mind would race and afterward you might wonder what it would take for someone to get to that point. I think it's probably more difficult to kill yourself than face whatever is in front of you in life.

People should have some compassion and understanding for what others deal with in life and not have judgments. Just think...Harikiri was accepted as the noble thing to do in some circumstances not too long ago. Were those people selfish? Not in the eyes of people in that culture. They were noble.

When you're dead what does it matter what someone else thinks?

I do know a few people that have killed themselves but pretty rare considering the amount of people I've known that died of 'natural' causes. Sometimes you blink and a friend is gone.

ddrew

Veteran
I'm not even going to talk about it more then to say it is the single most selfish thing a human being can do.
It leaves a hole in the lives of the people left behind that never heals, not ever.
Terminal illness is another thing, I'm not talking about suicide in response to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts