Votes: 11 12.8%
  • a grow is just a work of art that takes a a couple months to complete

Votes: 63 73.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Sir_Nugget

our taste and smell senses are capable of artistic interpretation imo

this is the money quote. If you think about it, pot growing goes different ways. The way of mass produced art. Would you call a bigmac box art? to me it is mass produced garbage, just like some weed, but there are growers, breeders, w/e who enjoy taking pot to the next level and beyond.

Not only is growing an art, it's like THE art

our famous breeders are like famous artists

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
When both the dictionary and thesaurus (the references for proper word usage) back up the fact that gardening is an art... I just don't get how people can argue it.

Ureap, in your example you crafted the soil.
There is a lot more to growing a plant than crafting soil.
Crafting the soil does not mean you crafted the flowers.

We obviously do not craft the plants in our garden, and the growing of them is obviously an art.

Head, technically, your right about it being an art..but, what makes it an art is not the actual growing of the flowers, it is the design one gives to flowers...
growing is science, floral design is art..

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Yup much more work then ppl think even though plants do most of the work helping them be all they can be is fun lol peace out Headband707

U

ureapwhatusow

When both the dictionary and thesaurus (the references for proper word usage) back up the fact that gardening is an art... I just don't get how people can argue it.

We obviously do not craft the plants in our garden, and the growing of them is obviously an art.

i dont see where it became an argument unless you put the focus on the quality of opinions, which is about the justification of being right not about discussing the various opinions of others

and for the your edification if relativity and exactness is so important we dont grow for :floral delight: we grow for buds and resin

that end result of which i content, based on how you influence and achieve said result is an art

lie art of brewing beer

its all about taste and smell nothing to do with visual art, which gardening is

nomaad

Veteran
G:head... with all due respect, you are arguing your perspective based on a very limited definition of the word "craft"... I agree with you that one does not craft flowers.

you can find a number of definitions on the web for craft

In the first definition, that I have added emphasis to, a craft is defined merely as a trade. If the person you are arguing with wants to call growing a craft, so long as he is doing it in trade for money or goods, it falls under this definition.

In the second portion that I emphasize craft is also the skill itself. By this definition, one could show great craft in their growing of cannabis.

# trade: the skilled practice of a practical occupation; "he learned his trade as an apprentice"
# a vehicle designed for navigation in or on water or air or through outer space
# people who perform a particular kind of skilled work; "he represented the craft of brewers"; "as they say in the trade"
# skill in an occupation or trade
# make by hand and with much skill; "The artisan crafted a complicated tool"
# shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deception
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

My intention is not to add to the argument... that would be silly. What I'd like to point out is that to look at language dogmatically is quite pointless. This illustrates a very common, but MAJOR problem in human communication.

We have here an argument in which one side is being supported by a single definition at odds with the usage being argued. Instead of typing "define craft" into google as I did (my original inclination, btw, was to agree 100% with GHead) , to find a reason why, or the way in which the opposing view in the argument is RIGHT, the arguer of clings to a weak (based on one of many definitions) argument of why they are completely WRONG. This is a function of ego rather than intellect.

While I would not personally use the word 'craft' to describe what I do in the garden, it is a legitimate choice. In fact, I am sure I have been (erroneously) called a "master of my craft" here on ICM... and while I did take exception to the "master" part, the word "craft" seemed linguistically apt. A slightly more obscure definition supports this.

I'm a New York Jew and I love nothing better than a good argument... so long as its an intellectual one in which both sides are as willing to be proven wrong as they are to prove their own perspective right.

All due respect to everyone involved.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I can concede that point, but, if one is using definitions as the standard...

Out of art, craft, and science, which would be most precise?

The three do not seem mutually exclusive to me, but it seems more an art than a craft.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
But I'm not going to argue it any further. Denying dictionary definitions of words is not an argument I'm going to bother addressing.

H3ad, you don't want to get bogged down with dictionaries and thesaurus at this point. A few dictionary definitions are a starting point in this type of discussion-but you can't explore any big, or interesting, questions with a dictionary (unless you think that spelling is interesting).

you could see gardening as an art
but you could also characterize it as a skill, a hobby, a practice,
or a craft-such as the craft of designing and building multi pod recirculation ebb and flow rigs-or building a growroom-with its associations with craft type activity (carpentry-plumbing etc). There have been a few references to beer and brewing-i think that it's a craft because the bottle that i'm drinking says 'hand crafted in Gloucestershire' on the label.
Reverend Mojo Growing plants is BOTANY. You go to university and study it to become an expert.
no, mojo, Botany is the study of plant life-it's plant biology.
Nomaad
# make by hand and with much skill; "The artisan crafted a complicated tool"
thats very poetic-it's given me a warm cozy feeling inside:artist:

some definitions of horticulture include the word 'art' some the word 'science' but when i'm dipping my digital meters into and mentally calculating nute strngths and drops of acid-i feel scientific

eddieS
fairplay H3ad-i'm sure that we can knock ideas about and remain groovy

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
just for the distinction...

horticulture |ˈhôrtiˌkəl ch ər|
noun
the art or practice of garden cultivation and management.

ORIGIN late 17th cent.: from Latin hortus ‘garden,’ on the pattern of agriculture.

agriculture |ˈagriˌkəl ch ər|
noun
the science or practice of farming.

ORIGIN late Middle English : from Latin agricultura, from ager, agr- ‘field’ + cultura ‘growing, cultivation.’

I find it interesting that the same dictionary calls one an art and the other a science...

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
my two cents are that:

gardening can be an art, but not always is.

in the same manner as music or painting can be arts, but not always are.

this was already said in this thread by someone who compared stave vai to jimmy page anyway.

is growing gmo wheat an art?

I voted yes though, because potentially, it can be an art, but not always.

photographs_of_japanese_gardens_2.jpg

T

Teeg420

Yea its both, anyone can grow bud its not hard.

But to grow a plant to its full potential requires an artful and scientific approach.

U

ureapwhatusow

looking at cigar aficionados it begs the question is there an art to smoking?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
my two cents are that:

gardening can be an art, but not always is.

in the same manner as music or painting can be arts, but not always are.

this was already said in this thread by someone who compared stave vai to jimmy page anyway.

is growing gmo wheat an art?

I voted yes though, because potentially, it can be an art, but not always.

photographs_of_japanese_gardens_2.jpg

You know what Bombadil... I think you have hit upon a great point!

Whether or not gardening is an art or a chore depends on your approach and attitude as much as anything.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
It's in your blood you either know it's in your blood or you think it's in your blood lol lol... It can be handed down but unless you want it, it's not going to stick. So it's in your blood.. .. BTW just because you have a big grow doesn't mean your a good grower lol lol just means you have a big grow..peace out Headband707

barth

Hot rod as it seems like it always needs a little tweaking. I could always add chrome to my hood.