What's new

Is it possible to use gavitas in vert?

Hey guys.

I had a quick question. I've been seeing a ton about gavitas systems recently - those double ended bulb thingies. I'd love to at least run a tester but as I understand it the theory behind the reflectors is to focus the light and further increase the intensity from the high output bulbs. I don't know if the bulbs stand well on their own without these reflectors or if they're even able to be run bare bulb or in cool tubes or something and I'd much prefer to stay vertical.

Anyone have ideas or experience?

I don't think you can take the bulbs out of the reflectors and run them stand alone, but I could be wrong.

whatthe215

Veteran
it is physically possible but you're gonna have to DIY.

i haven't seen any photos yet, but i'm sure someone has done it.

the issue is the wire running from socket 1 to socket 2 has to be protected from the heat. so either 1 wire goes up and 1 goes down and they meet at the ballast, or the wire needs to be protected by some conduit when near the lamp.. but that will block light.

O

Oti$

I've been waiting to see some one DIY a very gravitational too... I've seen some impressive results in flat grows with these lights and would like to see what they would do vertically

growingcrazy

You can only run the 600 in a vertical position. I was running 2 600 El plus bulbs stacked for awhile, they put out a shit load of light intensity.

I highly recommend going with gavaita no matter which route you plan on going, there equipments is top notch.

Peace
GC

Grizz

Veteran
You can only run the 600 in a vertical position. I was running 2 600 El plus bulbs stacked for awhile, they put out a shit load of light intensity.

I highly recommend going with gavaita no matter which route you plan on going, there equipments is top notch.

Peace
GC
can you explain how you did it ? I have asked this question ever since they came out, some more info please???? PICS ???

d3cryption

Veteran
can you explain how you did it ? I have asked this question ever since they came out, some more info please???? PICS ???

Jw, the 600s arent double end..... u buy the remote ballast, mogul socket and the 600 el bulb = vert.....

The 1000 de can not be ran vert.. but the 600 can

Ttystikk

Jw, the 600s arent double end..... u buy the remote ballast, mogul socket and the 600 el bulb = vert.....

Bullshit. It certainly CAN be run vertically. The debate is merely over whether the results are worth the effort of doing so. For example, you CAN run a horizontal only MH bulb vertically- it just won't last very long.

It seems few are willing to excitement boldly, as this question has been floating around on the forums for YEARS now.

d3cryption

Veteran
Bullshit. It certainly CAN be run vertically. The debate is merely over whether the results are worth the effort of doing so. For example, you CAN run a horizontal only MH bulb vertically- it just won't last very long.

It seems few are willing to excitement boldly, as this question has been floating around on the forums for YEARS now.

From what wazzup says you can't/shouldn't... so that's what im sticking to......

Grizz

Veteran

thanks, if the 600 aren't double are they still a better bulb than say hortalux hps ? guess if really want to know about the double ended 1000 running vert I am going to have to get off some coin and do it.

forkup

Very interested in this myself. Looks like some experimentation is in order. Love to see what a circle of ppks would do with the new DE bulbs, I keep hearing about better penetration. Surely it can't be too hard to protect a wire from bulb heat.

Tutu

I've run gravita's vertically (But not without removing the reflector) they certainlly will work vertically not sure I would want to hack a $1000 light to pieces.

In my testing I found gavita's to be overhyped anyway and not worth the money better to use a standard hps and use the money saved to pay for 2 years of leccy bills :)

I only grow chillies your mileage may vary.

betshtick

The aluminum reflector is removable, shouldn't you just be able to pop that off and orient the light however you'd like?

I'll take a closer look next time I'm at work. Our customers and employees are reporting a ~50% yield increase with Gavita DE's over regular 1000's (3lbs per light vs. 2) so for sure worth checking out for vert.