What's new

is it legal to shoot your dog?

Lone Wolf

Veteran
im sure the dog is ok with abit of oldage.... give him a nice cumfy bed... let him out to piss and shit a cpl times a day... he will die in his sleep...all dogs do.

not all dogs die in their sleep...

let them out to piss and shit a cpl times a day? HA, what about when they are so sick to the point where they cannot move and they have no other option other then to piss and shit all over themselves and your house?

I had a fox red lab and he was the most badass fucking dog i ever knew - and all of my friends and everyone who knew him, agreed that he was the best dog they had ever met as well...

around age 9 he developed heart disease and fluid began filling into his peracardial sac that surrounded his heart. We found this out after he was unable to walk one day (because the blood was cut off to his legs), and therefore he pissed and shit all over... we took him into the vet and the vet drained the fluid with a syringe... and he was apparently back to normal, running arond and being happy. my family was ecstatic about him being back to good health... unfortunaltely , about a month later, the fluid filled back up around his heart and he was back to losing control of his bowels and urine and we were forced to take him in for euthanasia because it was just sad to see the poor dog suffer so much....

RIP BG :wave:

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
yeah i had a dog that got parvo, didn't get to the vet before it was too late, but i still tried to save him myself..

..let me tell you this, he did NOT die in his sleep, and that was one of the longest weekends of my life. when he finally died, it was like a death rattle, and it was gory, and it was deeply disturbing. so was wrapping him up and burying him.

in retrospect i should have let the doctor put him down, but i wouldn't have let anyone shoot him, especially not some drunk!

ArcticBlast

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Make it a clean shot and beg his forgiveness. Make sure he's really at the end though. I have no idea if it's legal or not, but don't let him suffer....and make some phone calls about putting him down at no cost first. That would be the most humane way to let your friend die.

Someone mentioned up their to use a good gun, second that. I could never do it, I would sell my kids clothes before I said I can't afford it, but that's me....my animals are family and no one goes without while others don't in my house.

NHMI

Most places will put em down for free at shelters but really, my cat is part of my family and I could probably shoot my wife easier than my cat, even if she was old and hurting. We had a Lab that got real bad and had tumors all over her and we had to put her down, but we kept her on pain killers for a while before having no other choice. If one can afford it they should get it done, not just shoot your dog to save money, what if they do suffer?

Animals are like lil people, who look to us for help and support and companionship, I can't forget that just cuz they are shitting on the floor....I would find a way to get the cash but worst case, 12ga point blank will be a definite kill if you can blow your best friends head off...I couldn't...I am sorry you are in this position cuz the thought of doing it makes me sick.

L

LolaGal

Shooting a dog will haunt you forever.

They wag their tails when the bullets are going into their heads.....

They think they were bad dogs and you are punishing them with a bullet to the head.

please go to the vet for a shot.

IWanaGetHiSoHi

if you cant afford a shot from the local vet you shouldnt even be a pet owner. idiots.
To counter that bit of Ignorance I offer this bit - Those of you who can't put your pet Down without the aid of a vet shouldn't be pet owners. When the option is taking your friend on a journey full of suffering to a place that they Hate or are Unfamiliar with to be killed "Peacefully" by a stranger the choice is clear. I say have a nice day filled with whatever treats the pet can tolerate and then Handle Your Business.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had the vet come to my house..... i laid out on the grass with my best friend and chanted in his ear while the vet put him easily to sleep. I only hope i can go out so easily and loved. Havent brought myself to be able to get another dog yet and its been almost two years... was my best friend.

bud wiser

It really amazes me how some people with virtually no information about a situation, can be so adiment in their opinions about what someone else should have done. Thank you for assuming I was poor, and that was why I shot my dog. That is far from correct. Why don't you try that I wanted to practice for hunting season next. Someone asks a question about something that is massively fucked up hard, and people who know nothing about nothing, and even less about fucked up situations have to go on a thread and give their opinions.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
It's a heartbreaking situation....judgement is getting nobody anywhere.

Babba, I too have a Vet that will come out to my house and help us when it's time. It costs an extra $100, but like I said...there's shit in my house I could sell if I were desperate. She lives in my town, strangely....and could be here within hours.

Check up on this service from your vets guys, there's no better place for your best friends to die than at home.

I have a black lab named Seagrams...She is the best dog ever..i love her greatly...I got her when she was a puppy....She got parvo at 5 weeks old...I took her to the vet on 9/11...while the vet was checking her out, I was sitting out in the lobby...The tv was on and planes where crashing into the Twin Towers...I didnt care...All I could think about was my beloved dog..the Vet said that she probably would not make it....Well 1 week later and lots of IVs and love my pup came out of it...My girlfriend and I would visit her everyday after work..sometimes even go their during our lunch breaks..It really seemed to perk her up..anyways Seags made it through the parvo...She has grown to be 9 years old now..Almost 10.....She is gettin old now, and I sometimes think about this dreaded day..Do I put her down or take her to a vet to do it....and honestly..i dont think I can let a stranger put my own dog down..the dog that has been there for me and loves me no matter what.....What would your dog want? A stranger or her best friend to do whats necesary....Its a horrible thought...and it WILL fuck me up...but i guess its the price you pay to have so many great years with a wonderful animal.....I know for a fact that the last person my dog wants to see before she goes to doggy heaven is my face...not some asshole she has never seen before, that does not care about her.....like I said, it would be one of the hardest things I will ever incounter BUT, I also think its the most humane way... Think about it.

As for Seags, she is still doing good, so i hope I have a few more years...She is an old lazy dog, that lays in the shade and chases cats and wild geese when they get close enough..When the sun starts going down, I bring her in, and she lays at the foot of my bed on a huge paded foam pet pillow and chills......lol...So hopefully I wont have to make a definite decision on the way she leaves this place anytime soon, but when the time comes, I hope Im man enough to take care of my best friend rather than pushing the problem off on a stranger...i know my dog would appreciate it.

Dogs are truly mans best friend....i couldn't ask for a better dog...and she loves pot..she eats all my stems and sometimes she gets into the buds...lol...

BUD WISER...You are absolutely correct...people are fucking dumb. Its been like that forever...Its not going to change man...just ignore them, maybe they will go away.... I really do hate stupid people..I just cant deal with them...they make me want to blow my fucking brains out....lol....

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Not saying you are poor.
Why did you think that, or was it that other asshole I responed to?

I am poor. At least poor enough that I don't think I would hire a vet to 'put down' (i.e. Kill) my dog. If I am going to give him 'Lethal Injection' then I might as well do it myself.

I have ethical questions about the lethal injection.
Yeah, it looks like your dog is peacefully going to sleep, but is he really?
'Instantaneous Death' is recongnized as 'Humane'.

Lethal injection always involves 'Cardiac Arrest'. Granted you should be so fucking high on Reds that it doesn't matter, but what if it does?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_euthanasia

Do what you believe, as I stated before, luckily I haven't had to make this choice yet. Still have some years.

But if it means going on one last hike in the Rocky Mountains with my dog, that might be the way he wanted it?

But if it means going on one last hike in the Rocky Mountains with my dog, that might be the way he wanted it?

If your dog is still capable of a hike in the Rocky Mountains, sounds like you are ready to pull the trigger too soon, IMO.

I'm hoping nobody puts a bullet in my brain before I am too old to go hiking, personally.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Well,
we might just take the truck up to the fire lookout.

But my dog has heart, could make it with two legs working.

bud wiser

Thanks rubba. My situation was indeed unique. The points you made about who does what is necessary, are deff valid. They played a partial role with my case. Good luck with yours. Sometimes dogs will fool ya. You start thinkin', shit I hope I have another couple years with em and boom it's 5 years later and they're still puttin' strong. Maybe when that day comes your pooch just keeps dreaming. Thanks for the kind words and enjoy your mutt brother.

bud wiser

I could give a rats ass about my finacial situation while dealing with major fucked up shit. I did what I did because I HAD to. Part of me also feels it is correct for reasons such as what others have posted, but I HAD to do what I did. I take offense when people assume shit, and then call you names for doing what they were incorrect about. If someones dog got hit by a car in the middle of nowhere and it was suffering before obvious death, should the dog be transported for 2 hours in a pick up truck to die enroute to a "humane" death by injection? That weak inhumane sniveling tit would deserve the second bullet in my opinion. Just love assuming fucking assholes.