What's new

Is it ever safe to breed with Hermis?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
This isn't a thread about reversing females with CS or anything, its a thread about using hermys, and your post didn't talk about reversing them, it talked about using a female showing balls. Thanks for the rep, but if you want to know who I am and what qualifies me to comment, look me up, I've been been on here a while. Care to answer the Q I asked?

Tom Hill

Veteran
spending time regarding sexual expression at most given points is akin to spending time on the tri's, all things that have you all taking your eyes off the prize. I would submit that when the man once said if you breed to intersex plants you're part of the problem, so was he... For anybody who doesn't breed to the best plant is part of the problem, and sexual stability will be but a smidgen of the worth when all of the chips are truly on the table.

Breed to many of your best plants now, hopefully you were right, later..

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tony Bower, Australia's 'medicine man' says that pollen from a female sex-altered is the most potent pollen.
think he was smokin it...heh....

Herm or late survival tactic...you make the call...but ya gata know the call to make...
FOE20

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
then I have to ask Tom, why in your deep chunk breeding, do you remove any girls who show balls from your breeding population?

Tom Hill

Veteran
I've only done that on one particular round of reproduction, rest assured I felt weird enough about it to continue NOT doing it for my own private stash of seed

B

bajangreen

Well i ent scarde to try, to breed theseplants, i got some real nice looking ladies in this bunch. I have to keep them going its only F2s but there is one in particular that is trice as fast and twice as big. and smells nice, i got to try to breed this.

I also got this wonderfull looking Herim, it has calaxes and where the hairs should be there are male polen sacks, the calaxes have christals on it just like a female would.

Would you breed with such a Hermi?, the other one shows very strong hybrid vigour. I can tell because the plants like this FIM automaticly there are to much genes trying to express there self at the same time so the plants grow very confused. this one shows male and female parts.

Oregonism

yes. thankyou. NOT hermaphrodite, SEX-ALTERED!

I have to thank Tom Hill, for explaining that [he has referred to it as inter-sex, although it can have a more encompassing feel to it.]

• I recently had a good female throw balls and it got to flowers, all happening starting about week 8. It is sex-altered, but because it was showing monoecious traits and not true hermie-isms by any means.

• The female HAD nice huge colas, not so sugar looking, but denser than anything I have produced this year, so we will certainly see what the devil hermie spawn will reproduce, oh yes!
My thoughts are that anytime a newb started a "hermie" plant showing monoecious traits, all hell broke loose and hence "hermiphobia". I believe that somewhere along the evolution, our plants could have been have been monoecious in the past [statistical majority] and flip-flopped, even many times, who knows. Certainly, culling "hermies" or sex-altered genes without true genetic info to back up that decision seems foolish.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
if you want a black kitten, dont take 2 ginger cats and breed them in hope.

B

bajangreen

I think a Hermi "selfing" would produce more hermis in the offspring but a Hermi to a female would/should produce normal offspring,

Am i right?

Tom Hill

Veteran
No, anytime you delve into intersex traits you've gone there, but most anytime you do anything you've done the same. These are just vastly irrelevant traits designed or mistaken for the sole purpose that you take you eyes off the prize. Don't do it, stay focused. breed to the best plants. The best plants are those which bring the best progeny. Please do inform any other person having any other idea to go straight to hell.

midsummer

Please do inform any other person having any other idea to go straight to hell.

Sorry Tom; I admire your intense sentiment; but, in the course of human interaction, I do not think that is a wise or decent thing to do. I might agree to disagree.

Side note:

Since traditional farmers must rely on their marijuana(annual) seeds produced each season for the next crop; I think that intersex concerns, in general, have been irrelevant for them. Of course I am thinking pre-seed bank/ refridgeration.

Traditional farmers likely selected seeds from the best plants for future generations. They did not have the atrificial light gardens and cloning techniques that make marijuana into a virtual perineal.

This is not to say that this is the "best way" forward. I think that way remains to be seen. Hope I have not hurt any feelings.

Tom Hill

Veteran
show me your nightmare crops, plagued with seed, these scenarios do not exist outside of some closet! They are the fucking boogie man in the grand scheme of things. I otherwise would refrain from the conversation, but being as this what I say is the only truth I know, how can I possibly refrain? I can't, I won't. How could I? No offense intended, but I do not believe you,,,, show me...

B

bajangreen

These are just vastly irrelevant traits designed or mistaken for the sole purpose that you take you eyes off the prize.

In a big Patch inter sex is vastly irrelevant, true, but you still pull out the ones that are "mostly" male when you go through pulling the males, NOW, when ya got 10 plants inter sex would become much more important to the grower (but a grower and a breeder are two different things). I think the "degree/raito" that the plant is female/male should have a bearing on if you chose to breed with or not. A mostly female with less than 10% male, starting late in flower should be ok to work with. In fact most of my best plant always have a seed or two in them that i don't know where it comes from i always plant these seed and get good results, (most of the time i am happy because i didn't take a cut or breed of the mum) its proven most/all will herim given the chance or enough colloidal silver.

But how do you decide 10% hermi? i mean they come in so much different forms, i recently had a plant that was female looking but instead of hairs she had pollen sacks(the whole plant), but the vast majority are plants with separate and distinct male/female parts. Even the separate male/female parts begin flowering at different times.

To understand this i need to know what makes a plant Hermi, can you guys help me? a short description, suggested reading? a video?

B

bajangreen

I trying to figure out if i should be looking at the intersex trait as how i would be looking at hybrid vigour?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
some people drive cars without MOTs, I won't, what you do with your car is your biz. Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with an intersexed plant, clearly Tom feels differently, so I guess the question you need to ask is are you going to be growing in a closet or in large numbers in a field?

B

bajangreen

some people drive cars without MOTs, I won't, what you do with your car is your biz. Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with an intersexed plant, clearly Tom feels differently, so I guess the question you need to ask is are you going to be growing in a closet or in large numbers in a field?

GMT have you ever breed with an intersexed plant?

I am looking at Breeding a good strain to help me so that i don't have to work extra to compete with the others in my area. I am also assuming an intersex plant would be XY* almost the same for a male XY. i read somewhere that the y chromosome is faulty on inter-sexed plants. is that why a intersex + female don't throw back full males?

A quick question, the batch of plants in question are F1 Hybrids but not all of them are intersexed 16% i am just about to start crossing them to make a F2 batch, i run batches of about 60, how much of these do you think i would have to chuck because they go hermi? statistically speaking of course. I only need 1 pair, a good male/female.

B

bajangreen

I had to read the thread again thanks for the good info GMT but i am set on this and will do it regardless, these F1 plants look way to good not to be given a second chance. this crop should be a short one though jan-feb harvest so i will let you guys know the outcome soon enough, thanks for all the info so far but i think this needs more discussion way more, i am with Tom on this one, the hermi trait should not be too hard to breed out imo.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
relativity is key here as are several factors

is the plant unique and lineage unknown and does it have properties you can't find elsewhere?

what makes the hermie plant you want to breed so badly so valuable?

i have plenty of bagseed genetics that are a bit unstable that you wont pry from my hands

i think the chem d cut is a fair example of a plant that throws male flowers that is too good to for many to cull

Latest posts

Latest posts