What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is curing necessary?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
As i grow for my own and smoke alot most of the time my stash is gone when its nice cured.
I noticed that when the bud is nice dry and smokable the high is a little weak. For me its about a week or 10 days after finger crumbly dry till the buds got their final strength. A longer cure enhances the quality of the high and makes the smoke smoother imo.

Greenheart

Veteran
For dyi edibles I would suggest water curing if you want quick and simple. The butter I made that way had very little chlorophyll flavor and plenty of the psychoactive properties.

Be sure to change the water often and use screens small enough to catch your trichomes when you drain it. If it starts smelling rank like compost don't worry just keep going until it comes out clean. That is everything but the trichomes and fiber going bye bye.

sire

As i grow for my own and smoke alot most of the time my stash is gone when its nice cured.
I noticed that when the bud is nice dry and smokable the high is a little weak. For me its about a week or 10 days after finger crumbly dry till the buds got their final strength. A longer cure enhances the quality of the high and makes the smoke smoother imo.
My sentiments exactly. I usually notice the harsh taste of chlorophyll and residual nutrients lifts about 10 days to 2 weeks after cut down.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
You should look at Coconut curry's cannabutter method. It makes brutally strong cannabutter or ghee from sugar trim, that would normally be thrown away. Trick I found is to squeeze the butter out of leaf with a potato ricer, wearing heavy rubber gloves, since done while extremely hot. Then will still have bud to smoke. Be careful and try 1/4th a cookie or less, and work your way up. About a quarter would knock me out for 10 hours, and a full one was extremely unpleasant (could not walk, had to lay down and unpleasant trip).

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
curing decarbs buds... naturally. time oxidizes cannabinoids.

if you're going to make edibles after decarbing, it makes no difference how you get to that point, they have been 'cured' by heat. heat oxidizes cannabinoids.

imo, it's all about converting THCa into THC.
you may be able to manipulate the 'high' by making low heat extractions in butter or oil that don't convert all the THCa into THC. this will make the 'high' more uplifting and energetic than if decarbing in the oven.

try both ways and see if you can discern the difference.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
curing decarbs buds... naturally. time oxidizes cannabinoids.

I've been making edibles from Butter, Oil, Extracts, and Tinctures for Years and Years and Years and have Never ever, ever Decarbed. Not even once. I have never had anyone tell me My cookies weren't strong enough. One person even called them "Evil"!!

A slight cure helps lose the Green taste.

G

I've been making edibles from Butter, Oil, Extracts, and Tinctures for Years and Years and Years and have Never ever, ever Decarbed. Not even once. I have never had anyone tell me My cookies weren't strong enough. One person even called them "Evil"!!

A slight cure helps lose the Green taste.

Making butter often incorporates heat, so there is some degree of decarbing happening in the butter-making process; often boiling for several hours at 200-212 f.= low temp partial decarb.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Making butter often incorporates heat, so there is some degree of decarbing happening in the butter-making process; often boiling for several hours at 200-212 f.= low temp partial decarb.
I wouldn't call that a "partial" decarb perse. I decarb my weed for my pills @ 225 deg for 25 minutes. Then there are people that decarb at both a higher temp and for longer. That crowd has failed to convince me though.

FletchF.Fletch

420club

I hear you. When things are baked, that counts too I guess. Should have said that I don't do a separate step. And certainly no problems with anyone who does Decarb. Just pointing out for the "Time Bandits" out there that it works great without the whole tray full of stuff in the oven. I make a cold water Coconut Oil extraction that sees no extra heat after the initial 1 hour boil. Not as strong as the several day boil down Butter, but still very potent.

The.Highlander

If you want to decarb and make edibles (coco butter)as soon as possible after harvest....is it necessary to cure? Dry to a certain percent? I would imagine that getting rid of chlorophyll would be needed for taste...but are there any benefits to the final product of curing, or are all those benefits lost during decarb and coco butter production?
Curing is ESSENTIAL

Cuddles

I got a question on this subject:
How important is proper curing when making cannabutter, oil or just a tincture? does anyone know?

Old Toker

I got a question on this subject:
How important is proper curing when making cannabutter, oil or just a tincture? does anyone know?
What is the difference between your question and my original post?

If you want to decarb and make edibles (coco butter)as soon as possible after harvest....is it necessary to cure? Dry to a certain percent? I would imagine that getting rid of chlorophyll would be needed for taste...but are there any benefits to the final product of curing, or are all those benefits lost during decarb and coco butter production?

Cuddles

What is the difference between your question and my original post?
just a little difference-

I was also asking about oil and tincture, which is something I´m currently interested in the most. I don´t intend to smoke the oil, more RSO ie to ingest for say cancer treatment/prevention
but whilst on this subject, is canna butter beneficial for this purpose as well and is it just as effective as oil?

sire

The only way you are going to satisfy yourself, amidst the ton of replies, pro/against etc... is to carry out the experiment yourself!
I concur. If you ask why it is essential you must never have experienced cured cannabis opposed to uncured cannabis.....

imiubu

I'll second that potato ricer. Works like a dream.

I too have been using a ricer for years for my VG tincture and infused coconut oil processes.
Due to aging, old injuries and a lovely case of severe carpel tunnel, the ricer is becoming increasingly painful to use.

I found this item posted in a different thread a few months ago and (thankfully) bookmarked the page. I wish I could link & credit the member who's original post lead me to this item, but alas, I'm unable to do so.

I pulled the trigger on this. Uber cool; the shop owner lives in my home state. Doing my part to support the home business entrepreneurs :good:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/169065324/new-stainless-steel-herbal-tincture-oil?ref=hp_rv