What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is boxing dead,did UFC kill it?

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
hunt4genetics said:
I'm watching fight girls right now on the Oxygen network.
I hope this will increase the popularity of women's fighting.
The house is filled wih real sweet women, some mothers, most really girly,
but they can kick azz.

peace

You should catch the Bodog fight show. They have girls fighting on there that would kick most guys asses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfCKcoArmrc

During one of the girl fights [ Tomomi vs Sexton, episode 4 ] they showed one of the worst leg breaks Ive ever seen in MMA. Makes you cringe just watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBghl21IKE

You can also download full show versions for the Bodog Fight website for those that dont get the ION tv channel.

bhang-bhakti

MMA is a modern phenomenon

MMA is a modern phenomenon

I think it is a valid evolution of the primal challenge. And one that is very symbolic of our times.

Having been in MMA for many years, I've watched it grow and evolve. Granted its turned into something far more different than it was even 10 years ago. So many different affiliations now, UFC, Pride, TapOut, MDMC, etc. and each with various rule discrepancies. I've been in many tourneys and run the gamut with people who's careers I'd considered long over and now they're huge names in the biz. Crazy what marketing can do I guess.

I don't think boxing will ever die as a sport though. Its still just as much of a "roots" style event as say Sabaki or even Tai so there will always be a following in my opinion.

As far as a boxer taking a skilled MMA combatant? Well there are exceptions to many things really, but one skill everyone should learn early on is the ability to identify your opponent's style quickly and compensate with a logical and effective attack. I certainly wouldn't say a boxer couldn't win in the match-up, but I will say I've never been taken by one.

Anyway, that's my point of view.

SC

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Verite .... OOOOOUUUUUCHHHH!!! that's a cringer

yep im a big fan of MMA, especially UFC ... i prefer UFC over all the other comps. It is a little bit more sanitized these days but it's still full-on, and you can still download many of the old UFCs (UFC 1, 2 etc) from torrent sites

killa-bud said:
boxing was cool,kind of boring now

ufc WAS cool also,since going mainstream,it sucks,it used to be real people fighting and no weight class,now its just as boring as boxing
////Yeh i used to love watchin little guys submit big dudes.It sucks they took out head buttin,no defense for that in the mount.But as far as the sport(Not just UFC)it doesnt compare,i love Boxing but its awhole different animal when youre Fighting rather than Boxing.Peace and stay safe,PVP

killa-bud said:
ufc guy would get housed in a fight against a boxer,they have horrible condetioning even the guys they say have good condetion get winded right away,and boxers can take punches,they stay calm till the ufc guy is winded,then,thats it,ufc guy is dead

i'am just saying in general,obviously theres going to be exceptions,but yea

well unless,they bitch out and tap him the boxer out,which imo is bullshit,your not a good fighter,you know leverage,thats it....

ufc sucks,because its not DIFFRENT fighting styles anymore,now every jerk off fights the same,which is why you see them holding each other so much,they are to evenly matched, imo pride is much better
/////That is so false its unreal.A Boxer would never hang in an allout 10 min round( i mean i bet some could but the majority would die ),you ever see them after dancing for 3 min,lol.Im not sure if yer being sarcastic or not,but i think so.

Last edited:
G

I'm in no way knocking anyone that watches UFC.Personally I can't get into UFC. Boxing is a sport, UFc fighting is gladiator combat.You mark my words, someone will get beat to death on that show sooner or later.An old wise sage once said"You can measure where a society is headed just by observing the way they entertain themselves", remember Rome, it sounds silly doesn't it, but then again so did a jet flying into the world trade center. Strange things abound in this 2007 version of 1984(the book), it's a brave new world, but not one where we feel brave.One where the masses need to see the blood flow in order to distract and de-sensitize them from how god awful their life is becoming.It's a shame really.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
^ true, he is good. And a very impressive record.. Going against Floyd Mayweather jr. this fall i hear. That should be good, both are undefeated..

Germanator

Hatton and Mayweather Jr. wouldnt last a round in their weight class fighting MMA. That isnt to say they arent great boxers, but they are not great fighters. The rules in place make UFC the safest solution to the questions fighting fans used to ask. Could a wrestler stand toe to toe with a kick boxer, or any other brand of fighting style? The answer is MMA, you can't be a dominant fighter unless you have a mastery in all aspects of fighting. Even Chuck Ladell, who will likely go down as the best stricker in MMA, was a NCAA wrestler.

I personally think MMA is the most exciting live sport you can watch...and Ive seen a ton of them. Including boxing. I'm not here to convince boxing fans to convert, but there should be some recognition of the skill involved with the sport.

I mean who isnt excited to see Henderson V Jackson? That is going to be a hell of a match.

Germ

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
witchking said:
I'm in no way knocking anyone that watches UFC.Personally I can't get into UFC. Boxing is a sport, UFc fighting is gladiator combat.You mark my words, someone will get beat to death on that show sooner or later.An old wise sage once said"You can measure where a society is headed just by observing the way they entertain themselves", remember Rome, it sounds silly doesn't it, but then again so did a jet flying into the world trade center. Strange things abound in this 2007 version of 1984(the book), it's a brave new world, but not one where we feel brave.One where the masses need to see the blood flow in order to distract and de-sensitize them from how god awful their life is becoming.It's a shame really.

Im not sure I follow your distinction in what pretty much amounts to two people stepping into the ring to beat the shit outta each other. The things you find appalling about MMA I find the same in boxing. Seriously how interesting does the boxing dynamic get? 1. Throw punch 2. Dodge punch 3. Learn how to take punch? If MMA was that boring no one would watch it.

The thing your absolutely wrong about is the inherent danger you assume that goes along with your perception of gladiator combat. Professional boxing has kept track of boxing deaths since 1918. So far theres been about 1,350 boxing deaths since 1918. Between May 2005 and April 2006 there was 71 boxing deaths alone. The following link cites some stats that have MMA deaths between 1979 and 2001 to twelve deaths. Given those figures it would take MMA some 1800 years to catch up to current boxing death totals.

http://www.womenkickboxing.com/boxing_deaths.htm

G

I don't really like boxing either, I'm not defending it or anything,In fact I really don't care about any of it, just my .02 that's all.

med_breeder

I'm watching ufc on spike tv right now.
One thing that I have noticed the last few nights I have been watching boxing on cable. If I am not mistaken, there are so much fewer clinches. I have not watched boxing in a long time. I caught a middle weight match the other day. The ref would not allow a clinch at all. I feel that boxing feels the pressure to not be a hug fest any more because of the non stop action of mma

peace

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
dfa said:
Fedor Emelianenko is the best fighter in the world.
You may be interested to know then that Fedor was only paid $300,000 to fight Silvia (no win bonus), while Silvia was paid $800,000 (also no win bonus). It seems that Silvia easily won that fight ... :)

and to the original post, no the UFC didn't kill boxing, Don King was killing boxing a long time before UFC started finding its groove.

G. Sensi

How u doin Phenom'?

I may be wrong but its my understanding that Silvia is part owner of Affliction... So that may explain the money thing....But Its messed up in any event...

On topic... I dont think there could be a thing called "Mixed Martial Arts" without Boxing... So I respect Boxing deeply and dont think MMA could ever "Kill It" or cause its popularity to diminish....

That being said... I DO however think UFC as an entertainment Enterprise and Business is vastly outperforming many if not ALL the major North American Boxing, Martial Arts and Mixed Martial Arts Organizations....

As I type Im watchin Spike TV and the BJ Penn Vs Sean Sherk fite.... And its because UFC got itself on Prime Time Television for FREE and created a very Original Reality Series that the numbers of UFC fans in the world grows exponentially every day....

I remember Syllvester Stallone's Boxing Reality show 'The Contender" was running when the very first "Ultimate Fighter" show started....OH MY LAWD Ultimate Fighter was 100 times better.... and got better and better....

There use to be a UFC pay per view fight Once every 3-4 months or so.... Now theres ATLEAST 1 every month AND atleast 2 more Free Fights AND the Reality Show and Behind the Scenes Shows EVERY MONTH....

Last big Boxing match I watched was Hatton vs Mayweather....

Ya maybe...Jus MAYBE... UFC did Kill it....

Bless

-G

Last edited:

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
Irishslappop said:
im not too big on UFC, Boxing is the sport of real men. not pumped up thugs that took a couple kick boxing and jujitsu classes.

but it seems to appeal to the people more which is too bad.
What do you mean pumped up thugs who took a "couple" kick boxing classes...

The men who compete in respectable MMA fighting circuits have devoted their lives to it. Years are spent mastering their fighting styles and honing their skills. Anderson Silva and Fedor Emelianenko are 2 people you need to get familiar with if you want to see some intelligent fighting.

It is not that MMA is too barbaric, boxing is just too tame.

But I do enjoy boxing regardless.