What's new

is 71%ISO ok for makin...

Dr. D

Veteran
...ISO oil???? some of my Dankouver bud has fuckin mould and i am pissed :badday: man i wanna ISO it asap and i only have 71% ISO???????will this do???

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
I was wondering about that too...

I was wondering about that too...

Hey D, I thought about useing grain alcohol instead, I know it burns alot cleaner. Does anyone have input on this as well... BC

G

Dr.D nope 71% has to much water...... Vons supermaket pharmacy has 90% that would work much better........

Dr. D

Veteran
im in the Uk so i donr kno where i can find it, the 71% stuff is wot i got wen i asked for it at my local pharmacy...i dont wanna go round askin for for the pure stuff cuz u always get that nosey fucker sayin wot do u need it for?? lol il see wot i can find on monday the mouldy bud in question is in the freezer now anyway...peace and thanks for ur input

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
I've never used 71% iso, but when I was in Jamaica last I had too much bud so I made oil out of it. I could only find 71% Alcohol made from Sugar Cane. I did a quick wash and dried it outside.... It worked, I ended up with a nice red product that looked a lot like opium.

Not sure if the result would be the same....

KRS Juan

The only difference between 71% and 90% is the percentage of distilled water.
All that means is it will take a little longer to dissolve matter and a little longer to evaporate.

Go ahead and use it, you will be fine.

-KRS Juan-

KRS Juan

And since your bud is moldy you may want to filter it through coffee filters a couple times before evaporating.

-KRS Juan-

G

the alcohol evaporates quicker then water..... you'll be left with water in your oil......

KRS Juan

Ummm unless you have some magic 100% ISO there Howie there's ALWAYS going to be some water. If you don't have a SAFE way to speed evaporation, then it will take a little while longer for the water to evaporate.

-KRS Juan-

Dr. D

Veteran
thanks for ur input if i cant get the 90%+stuff then il use it...wots a bit of water in the oil anyway it will soon evaporate??

KRS Juan

Butane is much more dangerous and expensive. I prefer it myself (i wont even smoke my ISO anymore, just turn it into cannabrex) but it's not easy for everyone to make.

-KRS Juan-

G

Anything under 91 will take forever and a day to evap

Anything under 91 will take forever and a day to evap

Even with a constant heat source such as a double boiler, the rate of evaporation is way too slow, go ahead and try if you ABSOLUTELY can't get the good stuff. many have done it with nice results but for your first time use 91 or better, it's available in the US in bulk in stores such as SAMS CLUB COSTCO BJ'S etc Usually runs about 99 cents for 2 litres ime. I doubt u have these stores nearby b/c every large cahin store pharmacy in creation sells 91% in both 70ml and litre size.
The end product has a better color and flavor imo when the evap is quicker, as well. hope this helps.

cj

G

btw dr. D i would make butter with them startin-to-mould budz.

Iso will work too but get the 91% IMHO, it works a lot better dr. d :) :)

here's the link to making butter, this d00d has a great write up, only thing i do differently is freeze the butter overnight rather than in the fridge. This makes it firmer and of coarse its faster but removal from the container is why, slab pops right out and is easier to catch/handle ime.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=12895&highlight=cannabutter
lol we yanks spell the word, "mould"
like this :
"mold"
damn buncha' language butchers we are! lol
try that if searching for "mould" doesn't turn much up. :)

Hope this helps

cj

the above batch of Ghiraldi Chocolate and Peanutbutter chip Brownies was made partially with moldy outdoor shake, yum! itwas DELICIOUS! and did the trick, lasted many weeks in the fridge. The butter lasts as long as regular butter in the freezer ime.

Last edited:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey Captain Jack..id make butter but i have quite a low tolerance to eating cannabis and with this weed it wud fuck me right up lol i smoked a joint lastr night and i cudnt see proply for like2 hours..lol...i have made a bit of oil with this71%ISO that was wen i used it to clean all the trichs stuck in the bubbleb ag filter..it all evaporated off ok leaving a layer of oil and a bit off powder it never got smoked just sat around the house then got chucked i think...anyway if i canrt get the purer stuf then il use it...thanks for ur input evryone...peace

G

krs juan.. I do and have used 100% iso it comes in barrels, and btw its not magic.....
also i have been making iso oil for about 18 years now....... and 70% iso sux ass.... it has to much water that needs to be burned out thus changing the color taste smell and overall effect......btw butane oil is easy to make

G

KRS Juan said:
The only difference between 71% and 90% is the percentage of distilled water.
All that means is it will take a little longer to dissolve matter and a little longer to evaporate.

Go ahead and use it, you will be fine.

-KRS Juan-

^^^What he said. ^^^

This weekend at the Grateful Garcia Gathering, I shared some of my cherry oil ISO with a bunch of experienced smokers who had never had such a thing. Comments were along the lines of "never smoked anything in my life like that" and "I was high for almost too long"

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
ISO...

ISO...

You know back in the day I use to clean my free-base pipe with Iso. I would pour in a 1/2 tsp, put my fingers on the holes and shake it till all the frost had melted,then pour it out on a mirror and set it on fire. After the flame went out and it cooled off you could use a razzor blade and scrape up the goodies. It tasted like shit and didn't burn all that clean.Then one day this chick told me I should be useing Ever Clear ( grain alcohol ) for this... It made a tremendous difference, it burned very clean and the only taste was from the product itself and not from the alcohol..... So I'm wondering if hash oil isn't the same way ? when I geta chance I'm going to do a little side by side testing ( 71% 90% and ever clear ) and see for ma damn self ! ( it's the Tred Barta way....lol ) Stay safe and Have fun ! no matter what you do... later BC