What's new

iPonic 600 controller

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Thanks!!!! I personally haven't used them yet. But i have a buddy who pulls 14 pounds from eight 600W Gavitas on a regular basis!!!! But to me the gavita's are all pluses!! I really don't see them being anymore expensive than a standard 1000w setup. Found a online place that sells them complete for $447 with free shipping!!! Even if you take the added benefit that they claim 8-10% better crop because of better PAR than all other 1000 watters out of the equation. No other ballasts out there are as reliable. As well as no other reflector has more engineering behind than the gavita's. No 3 phase power. Just 240 volts single phase.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
these are just fancy, and nice to look at

you really don't need these if you've setup your room correctly..

second, if your wanting "automated" which these don't really do, get a doser / controller to manage things for you..

as someone said here, independant devices / machines / controllers are far better then this nice looking gadget..

I think we have along ways to come before we get full automatic control of growing.. and by that who would want to anyways... growing is about 'being one' with the plant, interacting and spending time with it.. who wants someone to do everything for them... at that point we've gone to far, and you've lost what you wanted to gain, or should say what I am wanting.. some only want $ , but I've seen past that, and it doesn't get you very far... take it or leave it

ZinksInk

Hey LandscapeEscape, I might have to send you a private message. I got my Iponic setup and it works like a champ. I am thinking about using the low power relays to control other equipment with the unit... Like hooking it up to a thermostat, mini-split or trying to integrate it with a water cooled setup. Seems like you may have already done that.

I did have to call once to figure out how to change the humidity cycle timer as the unit operates much differently from the Sentinel CHHC-1. Called 24 hour tech support and they got me fixed up. My cell phone dropped the call while discussing how to program the unit for my needs and the guy actually called me back!

My second time contacting them was due to a faulty control board in the unit as the OK and Cancel buttons were not working right. OK would press cancel and the unit was just acting up. I called during business hours and they sent me a new unit factory direct, free shipping and free return postage with no deposit or credit card required. I couldn't ask for anything more from these guys!

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Hey LandscapeEscape, I might have to send you a private message. I got my Iponic setup and it works like a champ. I am thinking about using the low power relays to control other equipment with the unit... Like hooking it up to a thermostat, mini-split or trying to integrate it with a water cooled setup. Seems like you may have already done that.

I did have to call once to figure out how to change the humidity cycle timer as the unit operates much differently from the Sentinel CHHC-1. Called 24 hour tech support and they got me fixed up. My cell phone dropped the call while discussing how to program the unit for my needs and the guy actually called me back!

My second time contacting them was due to a faulty control board in the unit as the OK and Cancel buttons were not working right. OK would press cancel and the unit was just acting up. I called during business hours and they sent me a new unit factory direct, free shipping and free return postage with no deposit or credit card required. I couldn't ask for anything more from these guys!
WOW!!! Great service!!!!:woohoo:

The customer service alone made me happy that I chose this unit.

ZinkInk pm me with any questions. Ill get you some photos and a step by step. I have my unit hooked up to a 36k BTU central air unit currently and I've had no issues. Wired it myself.

Nothings on fire and no ones dead. It was a good day.

Habeeb. I would have to disagree with you. I think these units promote efficiency consistency and control. Plus the added bonus of being able to monitor levels anywhere anytime. These is absolutely a human element in growing that cannot be replaced by a computer, but the iPonic is a tool, just like clippers or a bucket. You could pinch every leaf off with your fingers but you have more control and efficiency with some clips. If the price doesn't match up with services received then that's one thing but for me this works great. I can schedule the environment so I don't have to constantly watch, and have more time to focus on pruning and feeding and tending overall.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Habeeb. I would have to disagree with you. I think these units promote efficiency consistency and control. Plus the added bonus of being able to monitor levels anywhere anytime. These is absolutely a human element in growing that cannot be replaced by a computer, but the iPonic is a tool, just like clippers or a bucket. You could pinch every leaf off with your fingers but you have more control and efficiency with some clips. If the price doesn't match up with services received then that's one thing but for me this works great. I can schedule the environment so I don't have to constantly watch, and have more time to focus on pruning and feeding and tending overall.

100%

LEDNewbie

Veteran
So the IPonic 600 has the ability to control 8 different things but only 6 seperate plug ins(8 plugs, but two plugs on each side are tied together)...? How can I get access to controlling the other two settings? Thanks.... Can one of the two plugs that are tied together control a dehumidifier and a humidifier?? Or would it have to be like 2 humidifiers doing the same schedule?

I also want to add that to some the recording of data and ability to remotely access your room and control the conditions based on your wants is invaluable.

While habeeb makes good points that one doesnt NEED one of these many people can utilize this "tool" as landscaped put it to their benefit.

We can all smoke pot with a dry piece or paper but many of us get elaborate pieces and vapes..........kinda the same thing. Pimp my growroom kinda thing......if you got it......and you like it.....buy it is what I say.

Led it has 8 terminals. Channel 1+2 are one outlet. Channel 3 is a dual outlet. Channel 4+5 are one outlet. Channel 6 is two outlets. 7+8 are your low voltage terminals.

Zink buddy you inbox is full. Figured I should post this here as well anyway

Hey zink

If your buying a new split or central check out inghrams air and water. Cheap prices.

Ill get a wiring diagram for you tomorrow along with some pics. Its honestly super easy. Are you going to using a heating and cooling unit at the same time? This is the only issue where it gets complicated. But here is a quick rundown for using the iPonic as a thermostat for a cooling only unit.

The unit will most likely have 4 wires.
1 power
2 condenser/fan-your outside unit.
3 heat
4 air handler fan.
[
Hold two wires together and use process of elimination to figure out which is which. Try 2 at a time and hold them together for 30 seconds. Your air handler usually takes a bit to kick over.

Now take your power. Run this into channel 7 +. Cut a 1 inch length and bend that bitch in half. Put one side in 7+ and run it over to channel 8+. Now each relay is hot for power. Now simply stick your handler wire into 7- and condenser into 8-. On the front face name them accordingly and set them both as AC. Setup your stages identically and they will both kick over in unison. If you want to add heat let me know and ill draw out a diagram for that.

Central air units are the cats meow. It took me about 20 min to get everything wired up and running. Hit me back with any questions or concerns.

TURBD

I would really like to know how well the text alerts work.
If anyone has any info that would be great.
Had some heat issues the other night. Don't need that.

the text alerts. i believe these work more through an email system if anything. I havn't set up the alerts for mine as i just use the mobile app to monitor and i'm never too far away from my spot. i'm spending the day with the girls so i'll check this out for you, i gotta get some photos up of how to wire the unit for AC

also i don't know how comfortable i would be with them sending texts to my phone. I'd much prefer going though an anonymous email linked to my cell. mainly for the reason that it's a little more stealth. my cell has a block password on it but having the email password as a backup is more reassuring. In case it got lost/stolen. Anybody looking over your shoulder etc.

TURBD

Yea I am a med grower so I am not worried about stealth.
I am a hour drive away from my spot though so it would be nice to know ASAP if something was not as it should be.
Is the app in the App Store? If so what's it under? I looked lastnight couldn't find anything though.
Does the unit have wifi? Or do you need a direct connection of some sort?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks. Peace.

happy to answer them turbd,

the app is under Link4 Iponic cloud. it's a seemingly innocent cloud based software. Very nondescript and clean looking. When you log in it gives you a readout of your current data and you would want to go into my controllers > manage controllers to be able to manipulate the settings.

the unit does not have wifi, you need to buy the optional ethernet board and hardwire it. you could always get a small wireless reciever with some cat5 ports and run it off that. there is a minute delay from when you remotely change a setting to when the settings are physically changed.

Zink here is the follow up photo's of my unit wired for AC only. I also included the wiring diagram Link4 sent to me in response to my initial inquiry.

picture.php

picture.php

AGAIN this is for AC only. if you want to run both simulataneously you are better off using a separate thermostat for your heater. If you want to run it through the iponic then you would need to figure out how to utilize a step down from one of the 120v outlets to a low voltage relay.

Last edited:
yellow wire is the air handler, green wire is the compressor, red wire is low voltage supply.

this was right before i finished wiring it up so the red wire that is currently disconnected is the supply from the ac. you can't see the numbers too well so to clarify i'm talking about the last four terminals farthest to the right.

also idk if you guys can see those photos. for some reason they're showing broken img icons to me but. right click copy url paste until i figure out how to fix them. sorry for the inconvenience.

FIXED.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Led it has 8 terminals. Channel 1+2 are one outlet. Channel 3 is a dual outlet. Channel 4+5 are one outlet. Channel 6 is two outlets. 7+8 are your low voltage terminals.

Zink buddy you inbox is full. Figured I should post this here as well anyway

Hey zink

If your buying a new split or central check out inghrams air and water. Cheap prices.

Ill get a wiring diagram for you tomorrow along with some pics. Its honestly super easy. Are you going to using a heating and cooling unit at the same time? This is the only issue where it gets complicated. But here is a quick rundown for using the iPonic as a thermostat for a cooling only unit.

The unit will most likely have 4 wires.
1 power
2 condenser/fan-your outside unit.
3 heat
4 air handler fan.
[
Hold two wires together and use process of elimination to figure out which is which. Try 2 at a time and hold them together for 30 seconds. Your air handler usually takes a bit to kick over.

Now take your power. Run this into channel 7 +. Cut a 1 inch length and bend that bitch in half. Put one side in 7+ and run it over to channel 8+. Now each relay is hot for power. Now simply stick your handler wire into 7- and condenser into 8-. On the front face name them accordingly and set them both as AC. Setup your stages identically and they will both kick over in unison. If you want to add heat let me know and ill draw out a diagram for that.

Central air units are the cats meow. It took me about 20 min to get everything wired up and running. Hit me back with any questions or concerns.

So inputs 7 and 8 are low voltage. Do you know if those have to be used for Hvac controls or can they be used as a trigger for something else? Like I say I wanted to run some oscillating fans on a timer... Could I use the low voltage outputs on 7&8 to go to a relay and from there run my fans? I don't know all the technical stuff but my electrician was wondering if those low voltage channels could be used and programmed for anything we want like the 6 other channels can??? Thanks.

Yes sir, the low voltage terminals can be setup in any configuration the typical outlets can. As long as you oryour buddy are comfortable adding a relay you are set to go