What's new

Iolite Portable Vaporizer

rrog

Veteran
Alien, the iolite is still indispensable to me. It works great, totally stealth and the Butane fuel is more efficient than batteries. I have learned to put up with it. I've said it before, if I lost mine today, I'd have a replacement here tomorrow.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
well I got almost 2 days of use from my repaired iolite... this morning about 15 minutes into a session, the mouthpiece stem melted off.

Wow, that's bizarre. Melted? WTF? I can't even imagine mine melting, the unit just doesn't get anywhere near that hot. Man, did I just get lucky with the unit I was sent?

rrog

Veteran
They don't actually "melt." They get very soft and then weak enough that they gently snap off. It's a clean break, but allowed to do so via softening.

MDBudz

looked pretty melted to me... had little strings of plastic as it separated from the threads still attached to the unit. From what I have seen on another vape forum, this is a common and well known defect.

rrog

Veteran
It is extremely common and well known that they soften and fold / snap. Never, ever saw threads.... This is something totally new and if at all possible iolite shoud see a pic of that.

They have internalized that this is all user error. This would be good to stick in their face!

MDBudz

what I meant was that the piece of the mouthpiece stem that screws into the threads melted and remained in the threads. As it separated, there were small strings of melted plastic between the mouthpiece stem and the piece remaining in the iolite body. Check out fuckcombustiondotcom and you'll see a very long thread about the iolite. Most people on that forum really like it, but the melting mouthpieces are very common and apparently has been acknowledged by the mfg as a defect (and mfg has mailed replacements to people experiencing the melt-off). I've emailed them and am waiting to see what their response will be.

rrog

Veteran
We're saying the same thing, MD. You turned me on to that website a few weeks ago.

We know the stem issue is a real problem. We know they all soften and bend off. What was new about your observation were the "small strings" of plastic. That is new and would be helpful is able to be photographed.

MDBudz

I will see if it can be photographed, the strings were not very long as it melted off, but definitely was not a clean break or snap. After it melted I got the melted piece out of the unit with a knife blade, but I did not look too closely at the piece to see if the strings were still visible.

rrog

Veteran
In my opinion, the key the world "melting." iolote has told many of us that these things are not melting, but rather that users are breaking them off. The Ultem1000 plastic doesn't actually "melt" until much higher temps than the iolite produces, but clearly the plastic softens to the point where it mends over and comes off with no apparent pressure at all.

I was intrigued by your little "strings" because that's direct evidence to these bafoons that the plastic is severely failing. This is something they have not admitted.

MDBudz

I received a reply back from Oglesby & Butler regarding my melted mouthpiece... "We are very sorry this has happened to you and would like to replace your mouthpiece with a pack of 3x Extended mouthpieces." Hopefully what they send is not more of the same defective mouthpieces.

rrog

Veteran
I received a reply back from Oglesby & Butler regarding my melted mouthpiece... "We are very sorry this has happened to you and would like to replace your mouthpiece with a pack of 3x Extended mouthpieces." Hopefully what they send is not more of the same defective mouthpieces.

There are no non-defective mouthpieces. Some hold up longer, but all can melt. They ship out mouthpieces like candy to placate us. Your new ones will melt as fast as the old.

K.J

Veteran
Just a bit of info some might find extremely useful: do NOT use cheap butane with this device! I recently ran out of butane and was in a hurry to get a fresh can. Unfortunately all of the stores around me were out, or didn't carry the stuff. I eventually found some, but it was the cheap Ronson variety. So I figured, what the hell, it's better than nothing. Boy was I wrong! The unit basically started throwing a fit. It would either not light at all, or it'd take 30 clicks to get it lit. Once lit, it ran ok, but I could tell it was still not functioning at optimal.

Needless to say, I ran out and got a fresh can of high quality, quintuple filtered butane, and the thing runs BEAUTIFULLY! It now takes a single click to get it lit.

So if you're having ANY kind of problems with the unit functioning correctly, start with better butane (at least 3 times refined).

rrog

Veteran
Great info KJ. Thanks. I just received my order of Vector. I'm tossing the Ronson I have.

MDBudz

I just received an email from Oglesby & Butler regarding the melting mouthpieces.... "Thank you for your emails. After extensive analysis and investigation of your feedback, we are responding to the situation by replacing the plastic mouthpiece connection with stainless steel.
We will be sending you a replacement shortly. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

K.J

Veteran
I just received an email from Oglesby & Butler regarding the melting mouthpieces.... "Thank you for your emails. After extensive analysis and investigation of your feedback, we are responding to the situation by replacing the plastic mouthpiece connection with stainless steel.
We will be sending you a replacement shortly. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Wha!? Sweet! Hmm...geez, I think MY mouthpiece just broke! hehe

pi3573

yea you can read the notes on thier web site, stainless steel threaded mouth piece.
http://www.my-iolite.com/news.asp

im about 2 clicks away from ordering one of these.
been pokin around on ebay and amazon.
i can find them for like 150-170-199-249(its all over the place!)

whats this i messed up the screen and its hard to clean?
let me know guys, i really want a portavape.

just wanna get the right one the first time. :]

and has anyone here used the vm3 volatizer?

p1ninja

I have a orange iolite that i used once, and didn't like the way it smoked cuz it gets too hot.

I have nothing to do with it so I would like to come up with a contest and give it away to someone here.

Ideas for a contest??

EDIT: what do you guys think about a contest for whoever can create me the best website homepage for a collective? haha is that too much to ask?? :bandit: