What's new

Announcement Introducing Veteran members

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

Not all change is for the best… remember 2008 and a change poster a candidate had?

I looked at the speakers corner without logging in and noted that many of those who I have made invisible are vets. Never posted grow diaries, many don’t even grow. 10 years of trolling made the grade in the new world order at ICMag.

I used to donate and had a “supporter” tag for it, but that went away with the new system. But for $120/year one can be in like the old users, as long as the cash keeps flowing.

Just doesn’t feel right. Then again, continually posting grow threads is a security risk I was getting worried about. The change may help me quit that behavior and just lurk for 6 years.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
Not all change is for the best… remember 2008 and a change poster a candidate had?

I looked at the speakers corner without logging in and noted that many of those who I have made invisible are vets. Never posted grow diaries, many don’t even grow. 10 years of trolling made the grade in the new world order at ICMag.

I used to donate and had a “supporter” tag for it, but that went away with the new system. But for $120/year one can be in like the old users, as long as the cash keeps flowing.

Just doesn’t feel right. Then again, continually posting grow threads is a security risk I was getting worried about. The change may help me quit that behavior and just lurk for 6 years.

we can only learn from past mistakes and try not to repeat them

speakers corner was launched 5-6 years ago (Sep 26, 2018)
so you say that we should only count messages from growing forums ? or just subtract speakers corners comments number from everyone?

and no we already set up tiers for the premium users, just read back few pages.

sorry i do not know much about the transactions but try to make this clear with exploziv, if you think your payment did not get the promised benefits.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I only have 17 years in, I'll sit over here in the corner and just keep quiet 🤫

I always thought it would be cool if, when reading a thread that you could have a button to click on if you wanted to hear that growers theme song 🎵 😉 🤔
You click on a farmerlion thread and you here David Gilmour playing the intro to Shine on you crazy diamond 💎 or Marrooned...???

Just thinking out loud, but I smoked some mean Highland Nepalese and all this sounded great at the time.
Peace farmerlion

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I’m thinking like you Mr. Farmerlion. No point in making grow threads and describing new grow techniques while being considered a second class citizen behind non-growers and lurkers. This site is famous for great content, but where does it come from?

I need to fly low anyways, and get back under the radar. The universe is pointing my way.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I’m thinking like you Mr. Farmerlion. No point in making grow threads and describing new grow techniques while being considered a second class citizen behind non-growers and lurkers. This site is famous for great content, but where does it come from?

I need to fly low anyways, and get back under the radar. The universe is pointing my way.
I'm working on what would be the most in depth thread I've ever done, or just have coffee in the greenhouse every morning talking to my girls and just do notes for myself to recall what I actually did?

My old friend says you can wish in one hand and shit in the other, one of them will get full first.

Years of research, to what end?

I'm so thankful that DJ Short wrote down on paper what he observed over time and the paths taken regarding numerous phenotypic expressions.
Without his papers most self proclaimed breeders wouldn't know their asses from a hole in the ground. Quite honestly.

Don't Pm me, I'm not claiming to be a breeder or an equal to Mr.DJ Short. Just making an analogy. Maybe in 30 years somebody will recognize that I was either on to something 🤔 or on something?
Peace farmerlion

windmills

Yup - although we can try and discourage our members from engaging in risky pursuits - in the diff - its their choice - just growing a plant 🪴 has been a risky pursuit for nigh on 100 years in many places - people are often taking risks - and I find it hard to criticise those that lean towards the risky side of things - since I myself have taken huge risks in the past - so it would seem more than mildly hypocritical of me -
I say Amen to this post Gypsy, and the prevailing attitude that is directly associated with it that you advocate.
Allow people to self-regulate their behavior themselves, within the guidelines of the today's world TOU, as you discussed. As the owner of the shop, we are counting on you to have an exaggerated input, for all of our benefit.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I say Amen to this post Gypsy, and the prevailing attitude that is directly associated with it that you advocate.
Allow people to self-regulate their behavior themselves, within the guidelines of the today's world TOU, as you discussed. As the owner of the shop, we are counting on you to have an exaggerated input, for all of our benefit.
While I do advocate self-regulated free trade - what needs to be thought about - is how a more open policy will effect ICMAG - will it leave the site open to be roasted by LEO's and the judiciary - or will they understand that - and leave us alone ? - since the magazine itself is not involved in any risky pursuits - and cannot be held responsible - if its members are - because that's their choice - quite a few of us are doing that already - by growing a plant or two -

The question is - could we become the Craigslist of all things canna related 🤔 - and not risk the attention and injustices of the law? -

Last edited:

windmills

While I do advocate self-regulated free trade - what needs to be thought about - is how a more open policy will effect ICMAG - will it leave the site open to be roasted by LEO's and the judiciary - or will they understand that - and leave us alone ? - since the magazine itself is not involved in any risky pursuits - and cannot be held responsible - if its members are - because that's their choice - quite a few of us are doing that already - by growing a plant or two -

The question is - could we become the Craigslist of all things canna related 🤔 - and not risk the attention and injustices of the law? -
Welp, I can't really speak to all of that. Certainly a much broader concept than anything I envisioned or imagined. Like the guy who was complaining that every other post would be discussing seeds. Nonsense. If you look at the majority of the posters currently, they have not really taken up any keen interest, or given a blink about this. At all.

Behind a paywall, or perceived barrier of sorts, or not, if LEO's want to come in and mess around, that certainly is not providing you, or frankly anyone else, any overt protection, other than in an idealized world. The fact that you are allowing people to pay for access, does point some fingers, perhaps. It's not what I would do, but I understand why.

Dodging injustice has always been tricky business. And the fact that you are now openly facilitating an exclusive area or platform actually gets you deeper into the spider's web, if anything. Right? Self-regulation is really the answer. Let people do what is mutually legal amongst themselves, with a disclaimer you are in no way involved. That seems key.

If you allow everyone to openly do so, in a discrete manner, it then actually basically removes any facilitation claims.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Welp, I can't really speak to all of that. Certainly a much broader concept than anything I envisioned or imagined. Like the guy who was complaining that every other post would be discussing seeds. Nonsense. If you look at the majority of the posters currently, they have not really taken an keen interest, or given a blink about this. At all.

Behind a paywall, or perceived barrier of sorts, or not, if LEO's want to come in and mess around, that certainly is not providing you, or frankly anyone else, any overt protection, other than in an idealized world. The fact that you are allowing people to pay for access, does point some fingers perhaps. It's not what I would do, but I understand why.

Dodging injustice has always been tricky business. And the fact that you are now openly facilitating a special area or platform actually gets you deeper into the spider's web, if anything. Right? Self-regulation is really the answer. Let people do what is mutually legal amongst themselves, with a disclaimer you're in no way involved. That seems key.
Yes - that's along the lines of what I have been thinking about - if the trading is so obvious that its causing grief site wide - then it'll have to be curtailed - and moderated - so as not to cause a stir - can't let spammers and scammers take over - that's always possible to avoid - but will take decisions that may irk some members - sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind - in some minds - for the common good/harmony of the site -

ICMAG has always been about like minded people hooking up with each other - and sharing a craft and love of a plant 🪴 - the last thing I'd want to do is ever discourage that -

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not a big deal but im curious why some of us prior “icmag donor” and “mentor” tags have stayed along with our new veteran tag vs mine got dropped. Does one need to donate above a certain amount to retain that tag as well?

windmills

Yes - that's along the lines of what I have been thinking about - if the trading is so obvious that its causing grief site wide - then it'll have to be curtailed - and moderated - so as not to cause a stir - can't let spammers and scammers take over - that's always possible to avoid - but will take decisions that may irk some members - sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind - in some minds - for the common good/harmony of the site -

ICMAG has always been about like minded people hooking up with each other - and sharing a craft and love of a plant 🪴 - the last thing I'd want to do is ever discourage that -
I updated my post that you responded to. Guess I did not see that you'd replied. Happy to see we are of like mind.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
-

I didn't think that's what was happening here? This area has always existed just exclusive to breeders and donors of I'm not mistaken. The only new part is old heads like me get to see the forum now. Everything else you talk about is already happening behind the scenes here no one talks about it.

Like frfr how tf you think gg#4 got popular so fast? Everyone and their mom had a cut real or fake well except me but mostly coz I ain't care and a few slices of beef...

But anyway if you think this site will become Craig for weed 😂 have you ever heard of reddit? And other small websites and forums I can't name off the top of my head but I've seen their forums and the open trades.

Cydonia

I was here in the 80-90's era, maybe 2000. Lost it all. House got demolished in a big mess. Under my lawyer I allowed them to raze it only if they contacted me and my lawyer first. They did not! Well, I have all my stuff ready to go. I cannot find my old ###@yahoo.com . Tried, heck I don't know even what my handle was. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator: