What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Info on The Real Seed Company?

CannaZen

Yeah i just want to say domestication is a relativistic perspective I'll have you know humans domesticated themselves in relation to their environment. Earth is one living organism relative to the universe. Some rough estimate 98% of us still live in the jungle. Its art-i-ficial selection.

26 percent

Buzzing right around, bees share about 44 percent of human DNA. We share about 26 percent of our “housekeeping” genes with these single-cell organisms. We share approximately 15 percent of our DNA with this plant.
alright. So.. where did ruderalis originate from? Well now.

like In some places like the matanuska valley in alaska and some parts of russia, ruderalis came from russia.. where daylight hours can be some 24 hours a day in some places? i forget. The best working idea is that hemp were grown in those places and the ruderalis autoflowering genotype went feral'ly wild. some hemp brought to north america somehow "miraculously" carry the flowering triggering mechanism genes in the hemp that were brought over.

I believe before what we call cannabis today it may had been quite relative to a species that flowered in the summer before it separated (oh, do i wonder, how did THAT happen?) It suggests to me a very familiar relationship with the progenitors of the species with evolving primates. That is what i see in the plant!

umm so.. yeah ruderalis genetics in the himalayus what is the most likely conclusion, autoflowers were brought to the himalayas or the seeds arent authentic, occam's razor.

all i know is that hemp were cultivated and evolved differently and as such thus, a novel unique and separate domestication as it were intended for a different purpose as hemp AN 'SUB'species. Where is the distinction in that? Its all a relative perspective from there, each species were cultivated for growth efficiency for stems and stalks, flowers, CBD and THC Etc. leaves, chemotypes. hemp works for a separate unison in genomics terminology but its still the SAME species though, right. okay. there were crossbreeding that happened

ooooooooo

The bottom up model colliding with the top down model is when mutation happens evolving. They're still the very same species but as separate and distinct characteristics evolving from segregating to separate and environmentally distinct places the plant itself had not experienced as the present uniformal expression to change.. remember epi-genetics serves the top down model via rna encoding 'sequence' c hanges into genome environmental weathering, okay.

Last edited:

CannaZen

The plant just happened to have managed to evolve metabolites called cannabinoids that humans and other mammals also have happened to have evolved to produce for a purpose the body is a multicellular organism, its called a common origin.

Oh yeah, organic cells like from bugs and insects, plants, fungi and animals have cellular proportions relative to their species. like when polyploidy is induced.

Apologies me and my brain have chronic inflammation.

Polyploidization has played a key role in plant breeding and crop improvement. Although its potential to increase biomass yield is well described, the effect of polyploidization on biomass composition has largely remained unexplored.
Open Access Polyploidy Affects Plant Growth and Alters Cell Wall Composition

Polyploidy is the state of a cell or organism having more than two paired (homologous) sets of chromosomes. Most species whose cells have nuclei (eukaryotes) are diploid, meaning they have two sets of chromosomes—one set inherited from each parent.

You follow? cannabis plants with polyploidy grow large vegetatatively if i recall correctly their proportions are larger, generally. It's just Einstein at work imaging light as waves as photons that became waves traveling beside him, riding his bicycle. Zero point energy. In order to transcend i have to ascend in breeding strong plants.

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
It shows a couple things besides how vigorous Indian ganja strains can be. A plant in the ground will always outgrow a plant in a container, unless the container is a swimming pool. There's no comparison.

The Kuamoni is all stem and leaf, the other plants are much bushier, all those branches take a lot of energy from the top of the plant. Something to think about when you consider topping a plant. You'll get a lot more tops but you don't get the same quick growth and size because the branches suck up a lot of vigor.

worth noting:

ganja = bud, ie semi-seeded or seedless flowering tops

ganja landraces like Thai are totally distinct from resin landraces like Afghan or most Himalayans

Kumaoni is a multipurpose plant for seeds, fibre, and resin - ie. hand-rubbed charas, not ganja

my guess is that Kumaoni is male... but I may be wrong

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
The plant just happened to have managed to evolve metabolites called cannabinoids that humans and other mammals also have happened to have evolved to produce for a purpose the body is a multicellular organism, its called a common origin.

Oh yeah, organic cells like from bugs and insects, plants, fungi and animals have cellular proportions relative to their species. like when polyploidy is induced.

Apologies me and my brain have chronic inflammation.

Open Access Polyploidy Affects Plant Growth and Alters Cell Wall Composition

You follow? cannabis plants with polyploidy grow large vegetatatively if i recall correctly their proportions are larger, generally. It's just Einstein at work imaging light as waves as photons that became waves traveling beside him, riding his bicycle. Zero point energy. In order to transcend i have to ascend in breeding strong plants.

G `day CZ

There is a thread here re poly ploidy .
Plants were not bigger or more potent .

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296131&highlight=polyploids

IMO polyploidy for ganja improvement is a wives tale .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Thats about it though.

Sam skunk has said it takes like 1000 ea males n females to make all genetics not bottlenecked, somewhere recently here...

well, that's to ensure there's literally no evolution of the strain whereas 'bottlenecking' implies something negative

the fact a first-generation pure landrace strain has been open pollinated from a double-digit population is not relevant for the purposes of someone who wants to buy 5, 12, 25 or even 100 landrace seeds, which is what 99.99% of growers do

even in a small-scale repro the landrace will still be handsomely represented, with an immense scope of genetic variation

and for those determined to unconvinced by the facts, there are plenty of first-generation seeds around right now, from Afghanistan, Nepal and so on

Inbreeding depression is always undesirable, even when breeding, that's one of the reasons why commercial or amateur Cannabis breeding truly pales in comparison to methodical or scientific plant breeding or ex-situ preservation by gene banks... but anyway you were allegedly distributing import landraces, not IBLs by origin.

There is a HUGE difference between import seeds, an open pollination between 2000 parent plants and a bunch of plants in a closet...

So with all due respect, that statement sounds quite convenient and opportunistic for a company that in fact went from selling true and unique imported landraces that were personally curated, to indoor or domestically-reproduced seeds from a bunch of parent plants, while keeping the same prices as the old import seeds and also adding some random highly-sought but inbred varieties from defunct seed companies like Afropips and Tom Hill for ridiculous prices.

It looks like an interested reasoning in order to justify certain bussiness practices or decisions. I guess it's still better selling that over nothing and having a small changing catalogue and relying on import seed availability like it used to be, especially nowadays that the imported landrace market seems to be changing thanks to the social media, with fierce competition everywhere. With great dissapointment, all this seems to reveal the company's true colors and interests.

Several aficionados seem to have pointed out about this lately and no one seem to be expecting such practices from someone well educated and documented, who always seemed to have ethics and a true interest for Cannabis and offering something unique and legitimate to the market, as well as pretending he's the only offering the real deal fair trade landraces, as opposed to the new wave of misleading landrace vendors and scammers he lately critizises in an effort to stand out from them.

I've been always supporting myself this pioneering fair trade landrace initiative in the past and even gladly invested my money on it, by buying many seeds in the past as Thais, Kerala, Viet Lao, Mazar, Kumaoni, Chitrali, Lebanese or Manipuri. But honestly with all this recent moves the brand's credibility is going backwards.

Seems like nowadays what really matters at the end of the day is having a juicy seed stock, plentiful and ready to rock all the time, no matter what or how. But it's just sad to see some people promoting preservation just as a sales tactic and manipulating information to their own interest.

I guess that's the Cannabussiness! :tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore
This quote comes from a fish genetics book I have and I think this applies to all species.

The concept of inbreeding and related ideas are frequently misunderstood among fisheries managers.
The term inbreeding has come into common usage in reference to the size of the gene pool in the
context that limiting the number of founder individuals will produce a population with reduced genetic
variability. This concept of inbreeding is only partially true in a strict genetic sense.

Founding a population with a finite number of breeding individuals sets a maximum on the number
of genes contributed to the population; however, the founding sample of genes may represent a
high or a low level of genetypic variability.
I'm 99.99% sure that Landraces being sold by RSC have more genetic variations than the strains being grown by most people.

i.e Og Kush, East Cost Sour Diesel, Girl Scout Cookies, Blue Dream, etc.

W

Water-

This quote comes from a fish genetics book I have and I think this applies to all species.

I'm 99.99% sure that Landraces being sold by RSC have more genetic variations than the strains being grown by most people.

i.e Og Kush, East Cost Sour Diesel, Girl Scout Cookies, Blue Dream, etc.

that wasnt the point he was making at all.

CannaZen

Fuck, im going to do it some day and the laws are complete shit, law('s) are not meant to be "rule" of law, holding people down to black market or no (that's where, gun violence is involved in money). even decriminalized there are plant counts most know its about taxing society for consuming a benign plant for medicinal wellbeing purposes forerrr... no i mean "re-creationally". police are not better, Black market salesmen are not better. I want to be a farmer, I am that lucky.

Okay so what strains hit max variance in the phylos galaxy and why? I haven't seen so called landraces with that much variation... and polyhybrids are sort of monohybrids are they not that is why they have hybrid depression, just the same.

I've noticed the galaxy is found, obscurely under the dropdown menu of the main site lol.. its not show business.

Alright on the subject of polyploidy it messes with chromosomal division IIRC so honestly it could take thousands of generations to see functional efficient evolution from doubling entire chromosomes. Like how would plants that were strictly polyploidal (initially), evolve? It could evolve imho but i dont know much about that. Serious, such mutations could lead to hops crossed with cannabis when chromosomes match up.

Apologies for borrowing the thread ngakpa, not my intention to derail. much respect for you, honestly my hats off. :tiphat:

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
For the record:

Gatersleben is one of the most respected and authoritative botanical germplasm conservation projects in the world. It uses 100 plants for reproduction for conservation purposes. And reproductions are a necessary part of maintaining their collection.

That puts things in context, I hope.

It's silly to claim you need to worry about bottlenecks or inbreeding depression in the context of reproducing a first-gen landrace from a double-digit population. I hope sincere readers can see that. Literally every modern dope hybrid has an inconceivably more narrow genetic base than anything at the site. It's comparing a razor blade to a three lane highway.

I honestly can't tell if the negativity is from people who are posting in bad faith or are genuinely confused.

Everything with Real Seed Co is transparent. Repros are done when going back to the source country isn't possible for me or other collectors. As you'll see, in future original seeds will be back again, wherever possible, which currently means everything except Sinai.

Right now, Real Seed Co has loads of landrace seeds direct from their origin country, including from 2018 Afghanistan and Nepal, which are about as crucial as it gets when it comes to biodiversity.

The plan is to expand that dramatically.

No idea what the game is with making a big deal of reproducing seeds or heirlooms like Afropips Malawi and Deep Chunk. That's a bad thing, is it? I mean, the descriptions on the site explain exactly what the seeds and strains are. Judging by the interest in the Malawi, for example, most people know better than to let the forum talk confuse them.

CannaZen

The bottleneck is that lebanese looks like skunk #1 seeds grown in semi-cultivated arid conditions to me but hey that is alright. It would appear to have an afghani genotype at vegetative growth apex in july but otherwise it is predominantly indica-sativa hybrid. It may yet be Cannabis sativa (var.) indica however it is a sativa/indica hybrid as is traditionally known. 10-15% THC were skunk, did not classic landraces from the 70's have THC 5-10% at the most? I mean lebanese is hashplant.. and i learned that is because no other method of consumption of the resin is practical and its not the tropical thai/columbian ganja that were being imported. There is a reason they were exporting hash and not buds at the time.

You have said tropical Ganja types have more resin.. I dont want to be a hypocrite here given my only wish in life is to grow beautiful plants. Like they say that Skunk has contaminated most landraces of the world. I say they're simply not genuine seed true to source. Furthermore i'll go to say that if a modern hybrid were naturalized in a region for long enough that it may be considered true landrace if it were truly grown to such an extent as actual landracing.

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
?

I can't respond to posts that make zero sense to me, sorry.

Forums are good when they expand understanding and share experience. But this subforum mostly involves spreading confusion and disinformation these days, sadly.

Our Lebanese is a pure landrace which I collected in winter 2008.

CannaZen

I've amended the other post and i do apologize, ngakpa i think that sometimes the nothing state is the default state, i am only expressing my thoughts on it, at least I'm making sense contextually here now. Naturalized with 100 plants the genotype of the genome is relative to a plant population of 100. it can only segregate so much before hitting homogeneity. Honestly i dont know how different one single specimen from a dioecious landrace population of 2,000 is from a population of 100 but.. I do believe the genome does evolve the genotype via phenotype, plants are selected on phenotype natural selection does not select genotypes unless the pollen had carried for miles to another field.. most of the pollination occurs locally and naturally the most efficient phenotypes out-perform less efficient phenotypes naturally even though they come from the same genotype. like a true naturalized landrace may be completely homogeneous for that particular geographical region only.

100 plants and they come in packs of 12 for like 50 euros. i've spent over $250 on RSC. Well I'm always open to enlarging my genomic genotype collection of cannabis seed. Its wonderful that you do open pollinations its fucking awesome to be honest.. i love this plant.

I also want to apologize for being so inconsistent constantly tinkering editing my posts, its how i think. I realize that i understand i am difficult that way.

Last edited:
W

Water-

is the Spanish Congo the same as any of the other ones Spanish companies use?

CannaZen

no, I haven't...

This is why I give these forums a miss these days.

The negativity, confusion, and bad faith posting is off the scale

Ganja strains produce more resin i have read something to that affect from you as your tropical ganja sativa plants are great for buds and hash plants are great for hash, bad faith. I'm staying the course. My lebanese plants are obviously like a hybrid/Indica and the buds were not smoke able. Couldnt produce hash either at 90 micron. They make hash with this stuff in lebanon you say? Haven't had the opportunity to vape. The growth structure is just not adapted and specialized for plant efficiency for my local area (yet) in terms of resin production during flowering and hypothetically with only 100 plants that adaptation is cut 1/10'th via your climate were they homogenized with 100 plants open pollination. It's the truth.

honestly, in the north where i am outdoor grown indica actually produces more than sativa in resin concentration for the most part you wont get a true tropical sativa to finish flowering in time here, where i am from the local sativas they are hybrids. Outdoor grown bud here is either Indica or hybrid/sativa but not pure tropical sativa and the buds look quite comparable to tropical grown outdoor bud I've seen, in terms of resin concentration. Even more resinous than your pure tropical sativa photos and we're not in the tropics. Its quite comparable.

Where $250-350 is concerned i umm... i dont tolerate insincerity dishonesty and deceit in irreverence (for lack of better words) i dont mock you, its a sham. edit: Will be sprouting Chitrali Pakistani... you really talk it up like its legitimate and so i will plant the very seeds this day today. Maybe planting them this late in the season they will keep short so they wont get noticed by passersby. gee whitakers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts