What's new

Info on The Real Seed Company?

Heh, IG seed sellers... wouldn't go near.
Why not buy directly from RSC and support them?

They sell through a US seed bank, not IG. I don't see why having an instagram matters, RSC has one, as do countless other seed companies and breeders. I have not gone through RSC because they do not ship to the US, and I would prefer not to use one of the european seed banks and risk losing everything to customs.

I made my original post because I saw people talking about wanting larger seed packs, so I thought I'd just throw it out there. My intention is not to undermine RSC in any way, they look like an amazing company and I wish I had easier access to their genetics. If people do have the option to directly purchase from RSC I would encourage them to do so.

Koondense

Veteran
Alright, didn't know getting seeds in US was that hard. In this case your option is a good one.
Usually "seed sellers" on IG without their own site are a scam so I wanted to point that out.
I hope you get the seeds safely and have a great time growing the plants ;)

Cheers

Green Squall

Alright, didn't know getting seeds in US was that hard. In this case your option is a good one.
Usually "seed sellers" on IG without their own site are a scam so I wanted to point that out.
Cheers

RSC doesn't ship to the US, although you buy their seeds from Kwikseeds, which does.

Treevly

RSC doesn't ship to the US, although you buy their seeds from Kwikseeds, which does.

I went to Kwik some time ago for RSC stuff but the front page has flipping javascript photos which so immediately distracted and annoyed me that I left and eventually found hipersemillas, which is quite flexible as regards payment and delivery and has easily navigable pages.

Green Squall

I went to Kwik some time ago for RSC stuff but the front page has flipping javascript photos which so immediately distracted and annoyed me that I left and eventually found hipersemillas, which is quite flexible as regards payment and delivery and has easily navigable pages.

Just checked them out and they are more expensive.

Cheers

Thank you for the kind words Koondense, it took about 3 days for me to get my packet of Sinai (I live on the East Coast). I understand your wariness of IG vendors, I only purchased seeds because they were being sold through a reliable seed bank.

I have a friend that asked for some help with his indoor this winter, so I suggested we try some of the Sinai. I was surprised that they started flowering under 16/8, they are definitely a unique plant.

therevverend

Veteran
I just checked out their website, they've got new strains that look interesting. A central Asian hash producer they sourced in Afghanistan they're calling Tashkurgan. I'm assuming it came from Kholm, a town in Afghanistan also named Tashkurgan. It's a Turkish name and area, I believe the Tajiks are the majority. That makes this a Central Asian Turkish strain different from most of the Afghani and Pakistani Kush that comes to the West from Pashtun regions. The price looks higher then usual but considering the personal risk involved in getting the seeds and uniqueness of the strain it's likely warranted.

They've also got Afropips' Malawi Gold, a Congolese strain, a new Kuamoni fiber/hash type, and a Nepalese strain from Rolpa which is west of Kathmandu. The west of Nepal has always been a more lawless, less economically developed area. When a friend traveled to the area in the late 90s he said it was the 'Wild West'. Lots of Maoist rebels and very little centralized government. All this stuff sounds great the Tashkurgan especially.

therevverend

Veteran
Since I'm already shilling for the RSC I'll post a couple pics of my Kuamoni. Here she is at just over 3 weeks.

picture.php

We'd had a week of cold wet weather, she wasn't stunted or slowed down by it but you can tell she didn't like it. Here (s)he is a little over 6 weeks.

picture.php

She's growing fast, lots of new growth. You can see a bit of crinkling and variagation. Maybe a slug crawled around on her or more likely a reaction to the cool damp conditions. The sun has been out every day but the weather has been cool by India standards. A high around 14.5-18 degrees C and a low between 6 and 10 degrees. I'm looking forward to what (s)he'll do when the weather gets above 20 C.

Green Squall

What kind of soil are you going to transplant them into? I'm guessing these Himalayan strains aren't huge feeders. My Parvatis are a few weeks behind yours.

ngakpa

Veteran
Quick note on Himalayan strains and hardiness:

Himalayan strains are intermediate on the spectrum between domesticated and ruderal

Himalayan farmers allow ruderal (escaped, volunteer, feral, 'wild') cannabis to grow around their villages

This isn't mere laziness (people in the mountains work hard, with few exceptions)

What it does is allow genetics from the ruderal populations to affect the domesticated field plants

It's a traditional practice with many crops, not just cannabis

The result is that beneficial adaptive traits from the 'wild' plants keep the field crops tough - disease resistance, cold tolerance etc.

You will see ruderal cannabis already sprouting as early as February in some regions of the Himalaya, as high as 1700 meters or more

Like Rev says, these strains don't necessarily enjoy the cold but they will certainly be able to handle it... same goes for wet... the Himalayan climate is extreme, and they've been adapting to it for more than 2 millennia

just to add: I don't much like the icmag definition of domesticated

domesticated = selected by humans (artificially selected) for desired traits and purposes

CannaZen

just to add: I don't much like the icmag definition of domesticated

domesticated = selected by humans (artificially selected) for desired traits and purposes

That's your clarification now, icmag has a definition of the domestic? I dont understand what is so insincere. I suppose your close to familiar with the UN-domestic.

artificiality or best guess? is it any ones best guess in the strain or just belief. That is my abstract thought on the matter, anyway look forward to journeying together with your seedlines from here. Really wonderful. I want to know if the uniformity character of traits that i am looking in my seeds i am growing is going to sing a song, most 'landraces' are hardly half the variance of the genotype scale for the phenotype from the phylos galaxy so to speak i am looking to go somewhere with the breed lines that i grow, kind of wonder if I can take the seedlines through certain paths of contrasting characters known as sativa and indica and still arrive somewhere different from where i had began from. Its going to be an interesting adventure exploring the segregational direction that the seeds go from, observing the curve of how much change may occur and continually occur down the seedlines that recombine uniformally together. I take it the variance is correlated with seed-lines of plants grown from only handfuls of seeds successively each generation. The point is to grow and that factor is relative to size. Its how genetics work. speaking of artificial selection, i would imagine epi-genetics does alter the curve path direction of the selection process that the seedline does take per gene allele. That's just gravity.

best regards to you and the seedlines you offer. :)

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Now that the temperatures are warming up and there's more spring sun the Kuamoni's taking off. Still plenty of overcast weather and some rain days but the daily temp is usually at least 20 C.

The growth rate is impressive when I took these pictures a couple days ago it was below my belly button. Now it's up to my solar plexus. The growth is all stalk and leaf size, not much bushiness yet. Once it reaches my head I expect it to start bushing out.

Hope it shows sex soon, I'd hate to waste so much space and fertilizer on a big male. I gave it a deep hole full of chicken and steer dung along with various organic granulated amendments. Epsom salts. You can give your tropical narrow leaf plants low nutrients indoors, outside I like to feed them and watch them get big.

picture.php

These pictures are already obsolete, she's much bigger. Here's a picture next to an Azad Kashmir hashplant. The Kashmiri is a good sized plant, even so it only matches up because of the size of the container.

picture.php

And next to the Black Vietnamese x Meao Thai. Look at how bushy the other plants are compared to the Kuamoni.

picture.php

She's growing so fast I'll probably update soon. After a stem rub she has the obvious pickle smell. I'm guessing once she starts flowering it'll change into something much more complex

therevverend

Veteran
To give an idea of how fast this plant is growing, I checked the date of the comparison pictures I posted above. It was exactly a week ago. This morning I took new pics, next to the same plants. The Black Viet x Thai and the Kashmiri.

picture.php

picture.php

Hard to believe, forget my belly button it's up to my nipples! It shows a couple things besides how vigorous Indian ganja strains can be. A plant in the ground will always outgrow a plant in a container, unless the container is a swimming pool. There's no comparison.

The Kuamoni is all stem and leaf, the other plants are much bushier, all those branches take a lot of energy from the top of the plant. Something to think about when you consider topping a plant. You'll get a lot more tops but you don't get the same quick growth and size because the branches suck up a lot of vigor.

It's true narrow leaf varieties don't need even close to the amount of nutrients Afghan varieties need. It's easy to burn them indoors in containers with potent concentrated fertilizers a wide leaf variety will guzzle down. However, when you see big plants outside, the Aussies really do it best, huge tropical varieties think of the amount of fertilizer it takes to get a plant that big. I gave the Kuamoni a lot of manure plus all sorts of granulated goodies and I'll probably give it a squirt of fish emulsion soon. It's hard to burn outdoor plants. I like a combination, readily available manure to cause the rapid growth I'm seeing plus granulated organic stuff to slow release.

When growing there's always a limiting factor you should always know what that is and push up against it. Where I live it's sunlight, my plants can't get any bigger or more vigorous because of the shade. I can make sure the other factors I can control, like space and nutrients, are not limiting.

I'm happy today, the Viet x Thai in the picture sexed, showed female along with a few others yesterday and this morning. Including 4 that are in deep holes full of goodies. The problem is that males show last, I don't want to replant over pre-flowers. As soon as possible I like to get my females in deep holes, I hate the idea of a male taking a prime spot longer then necessary.

grayeyes

I had problems germinating seeds. But friend gave me a remedy. 1 teaspoon of hydro peroxide in 1 cup of water. I wrap my seeds in paper towels and then pour the mixture over the seeds and germinate between two small desert plates.

4 for 4 last try. The previous attempt was 3 for 3. It seems that there are lots of bacteria and other stuff that can attach to seeds. This kills all the extra stuff off so they hatch.