What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Info on The Real Seed Company?

Old Uncle Ben

Collecting pollen. I cut branches off, stick in a vase of water, sit over a big piece of butcher paper, vibrate, fold the paper and dump it in vial with about 1/2 tsp. of flour. This is a 1990 Master Kush X Afghani 90. Will hit a Kwik Seeds "Afghani Mix" lady. Amazing how the leaves stay green in spite of low light and being fed water.

Pollen#3.jpg

Pollen.jpg

Pollen#2.jpg

Herbert Chickybaby

Two more plants in the pipeline for this season, one of which is spawn of my 14 foot Lao Sa hermy from earlier in the year, a seed dropped off and into the pot with the Lao Highland #4, and was looking so great I transplanted her into her own 15 gallon pot. There are two other pots with multiple plants from the same plant as well, same thing, seeds that dropped off the mother/father but I am not sure they are going to yield anything, they won't be done tell smack in the middle of rainy season, but I am taking care of them anyway and see what happens, so far so good.

Anyway, these two I'll show you here have a fighting chance to finish before it gets too wet and humid, particularly if the dry weather continues longer than usual which it could do. I think these two are also interesting because they are two clearly different phenos of Lao Sa, which I really appreciate for its vigor and rapid growth. The first group of photos is the younger volunteer plant, younger by 3-4 weeks. The second is directly from an RSC seed pack and is also in a smaller pot hence the smaller size, not quite 6 foot, sorry about that but I didn't have a spare pot at the time, its really showing some very beautiful bud structure which did not quite come out in these photos, the colas have these long white groupings of pistils at the ends and they are all turned up making it look just like a Christmas tree with a white candle on the end of each branch.

Last edited:

Herbert Chickybaby

This is the approximately 4 month old Lao Sa pheno grown directly from a seed in an RSC pack, and which is quite different from another pheno I also grew out earlier this year from the same seed pack. The seed I grew out earlier in the year started as a male and i let it grow out and after about 3 months, after the male flowers quit coming I discovered that it had fully gone into a female flower stage for another 3 months or so. Interesting experience.

He/she did knock up my Honduras with enough seed that I will be able to plant some next season and I have also found two seeds in my Ace Zamaldelica-Kali China bottles that almost surely are from pollen from the Lao Sa which sounds like a really interesting combo to me and can't wait to see how those turn out.

But this one here in the photos below is very clearly female and also looking like it will be quite productive, I'll get a good amount of smoke off of a not even 6 foot plant.
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0826.jpg

Last edited:

Lebanizer

This is the approximately 4 month old Lao Sa pheno grown directly from a seed in an RSC pack, and which is quite different from another pheno I also grew out earlier this year from the same seed pack. The seed I grew out earlier in the year started as a male and i let it grow out and after about 3 months, after the male flowers quit coming I discovered that it had fully gone into a female flower stage for another 3 months or so.
:eek:🤯😳

Herbert Chickybaby

yeah, I was like, what the hell. I had stopped paying that much attention, it was clearly a very big tall (14 foot) male plant. All the male flowers had died off, I took a close look and I'm like what is going on? Now This is a female? And it stayed that way till I finally took her down, tons of seeds self pollenation the only possibility. one of the progeny is just above as noted.

Last edited:

Herbert Chickybaby

Your plants are looking great @Herbert Chickybaby
That male to female transformation is incredible!
Thank you Maria! As you know, I am just a noob. So, I was like...oh...hmmm, didn't know it could roll that way. Those female flower structures had to have been there when the male flowers were there, but they were not that developed I think. And then botryitis and powdery mildew did the male flowers inm clearing the view. We had some somewhat drier weather I think for a spell and I was wondering what was making the branches continue so green. Then I saw, oh gosh, wow! Unfortunately it was all pretty much ruined. there's only a little bit, a small mason jar only off of a quite wide and tall plant. I have not tried it yet, it does have a nice cinnamon smell with the grassiness and nuttiness I get from other sativas like my Honduras and my Lao Sa.

Herbert Chickybaby

Also I would add that I had three fully hermy Thai plants that my wife picked up at the market as seedlings. That was an interesting period of time, about three months of seeing that kin dof thing before the media launched a hysteria and backlash campaign about tens of thousands of people in emergency rooms with heart attacks and strokes and psycho schizophrenia brought on by weed.

Actually there was likely a grain of truth to it, there's no notion in Thai culture about pre-caution regarding anything, one way to really tick people off is to try and warn them about anything, that is really not appreciated, you are, in their view bringing whatever you are warning people about on, you become the cause of a problem by warning about it, that's how a lot of people see things. So, people were just exposed without warning to THC candies and cookies, and so you eat 10-15 candies and yeah maybe you'll be in hospitalm especially if you never tried any cannbis products before, you might have some kind of panic attack. And you could see it, thc candy and cookies solld in the same way as regular candy and cookies with with sweet pretty giggly sales people who baby talk to you about their wonderful Hello Kitty Doreamon Astro boy cannabis products. Ironically smoking ganja is viewed as worst of all, because of the high levels of anti-cigarette propaganda, which seems to be this ritualized way the government signals that it is trying to do something to help people. Of course cigarette smoking is unhealthy but when that and banning alcohol is the only thing you do for the country apart from 13 dollars a month for the unemployed or elderly or disabled, you get pretty cynical and gets extremely tiresome to hear and see everywhere.

But of course the reality is you are going to have a hard time getting yourself emergency room level from a couple of bong hits or a joint, and that point is never made in the media, but the paraphenelia the smoke etc triggers people who don't smoke, its ingrained into their minds that this is really a kind of demonic activity and they lose their minds and then that is piped back into and used by the media to further confuse people which of course as we know is the mass media's job anywhere in the world, to confuse misinform and trigger people. I used to work at a very large univeristy 20,000-30,000 students here proofreading and editing articles and research papers for publication in English. You would not believe the amount of research being done on say the dangers of cigarette smoking and alcohol, while no attention at all seems to be devoted by anyone to really horrific problems such as pollution that is so bad from ad hoc carbon production or brick making outfits both of whom generate so much smoke in an hour or two that everyone within a say 500 yard radius risks dying from asphyxiation. In my decade in the countryside, we have twice on our street had to run for our lives out of our houses at three in the morning, including children and infants, choking and wretching, because some asshole shit for brains is off in the bushes burning tons of wet rice chaff for making bricks or carbon to sell to people for cooking. That activity continues, no one will even ask them to stop because the culture is such that people should be allowed to do what they want to do, it doesn't matter if it impacts anyone, you are always asked to shut up and put up.

But I digress heheh, those Thai market plants we got hermied but it was just the two types of flowers growing at the same time. I guess that is the norm as people on here seem to be a surprised by my report as I was, people who probably have some experience growing, which i really do not.

Last edited:

Prs2xs

Also I would add that I had three fully hermy Thai plants that my wife picked up at the market as seedlings. That was an interesting period of time, about three months of seeing that kin dof thing before the media launched a hysteria and backlash campaign about tens of thousands of people in emergency rooms with heart attacks and strokes and psycho schizophrenia brought on by weed.

Actually there was likely a grain of truth to it, there's no notion in Thai culture about pre-caution regarding anything, itas one way to really tick people off is to try and warn them about anything, that is really not appreciated, you are, in their view bringing whatever you are warning people about on, you become the cause of a problem by warning about it, thats how a lot of people see things. so people were just exposed without warning to THC candies and cookies, and so you eat 10-15 candies and yeah maybe you'll be in hospital. Ironically smoking ganja is viewed as worst of all, because of the high levels of anti-cigarette popaganda, which seeme to be this ritualized way the government signals that it is trying to do something to help people. Of course cigraette smoking is unhealthy but when that and banning alcohol is the only thing you do for the country apart from 13 dollars a month for the unemployed or elderly or disabled.

But of course the reality is you are going to have a hard time getting yourself emergency room level from a couple of bong hits or a joint, but the paraphenelia the smoke etc triggers people who don;t smoke and then that is used by the media to further confuse people whiuch of course as we know is the mediass job anywhere to confuse misinform and trigger people.

But I digress heheh, those Thai market plants we got hermied but it was just the two types of flowers growing at the same time. I guess that is the norm as people on here seem to be a surprised by my report as I was, people who probably have some experience growing, which i really do not.
I dunno-looks like you are doing a damn fine job if you are a noob!

Herbert Chickybaby

I dunno-looks like you are doing a damn fine job if you are a noob!
Its hard to grow things here actually and i have a lot of experience growing vegetables and orchids in this rather hostile environment. You can understand why there is just rampant mono cropping of rice, anything else is a huge crap shoot. Cannabis is turning out to be a piece of cake compared to say garden vegetables, especially large chilli peppers which i have given up on and most orchids, even local orchid species just pine away. Temperature swings can be just savage here 80 degrees one day 106 degrees the next and 80 percent humidity. So you learn to just stay on the ball with the basics and hope you get lucky. I am still not out of the woods with my pot plants, in fact I am entering the worst part here, a month or so left, and facing the possible arrival of the full force of the hot season ie, 100 degree plus temperatures everyday and a good deal of humidity on top of that too. Last night, after it being 94-95 degrees during the day and then night time falls and the wind kicks up and it got quite cool, say 65 degrees, my pot plants were fine today but you really wonder is this going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and you'll have wilted yellow leaves and buds and plant stems. Happens all the time with everything else you ant to grow here, so I spend a lot of time with my fingers crossed.

Old Piney

Its hard to grow things here actually and i have a lot of experience growing vegetables and orchids in this rather hostile environment. You can understand why there is just rampant mono cropping of rice, anything else is a huge crap shoot. Cannabis is turning out to be a piece of cake compared to say garden vegetables, especially large chilli peppers which i have given up on and most orchids, even local orchid species just pine away. Temperature swings can be just savage here 80 degrees one day 106 degrees the next and 80 percent humidity. So you learn to just stay on the ball with the basics and hope you get lucky. I am still not out of the woods with my pot plants, in fact I am entering the worst part here, a month or so left, and facing the possible arrival of the full force of the hot season ie, 100 degree plus temperatures everyday and a good deal of humidity on top of that too. Last night, after it being 94-95 degrees during the day and then night time falls and the wind kicks up and it got quite cool, say 65 degrees, my pot plants were fine today but you really wonder is this going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and you'll have wilted yellow leaves and buds and plant stems. Happens all the time with everything else you ant to grow here, so I spend a lot of time with my fingers crossed.
I'm amazed with your grows! 106 that's brutal hot but it sure looks like you have no problems , after all they should be adapted well. I believe that all cannabis is extremely adaptive regardless of where it originates from . Folks up north grow se Asian strains into December with a unheated greenhouse no problem, so I don't believe cold will ever be an issue for you. I've had Himalayan Rasoli handle a freeze down to 27 no problem

Herbert Chickybaby

I'm amazed with your grows! 106 that's brutal hot but it sure looks like you have no problems , after all they should be adapted well. I believe that all cannabis is extremely adaptive regardless of where it originates from . Folks up north grow se Asian strains into December with a unheated greenhouse no problem, so I don't believe cold will ever be an issue for you. I've had Himalayan Rasoli handle a freeze down to 27 no problem
Thanks Old Piney nice of you to say that. But, well, I have not tried yet to grow in hot season, I was referring to trying to grow orchids and garden vegetables as for cannabis not quite 106. though its generally getting hotter right now lately and qwe are getting into that time of year where can expect weeks of 100 degrees plus. Last year I didn not bother with my pot grows. Its getting hotter , but then again today its like freaking cold for here (haha!) its 11:30 am now and its like probably not even 80 degrees outside and it was chilly this morniing like say 60 degrees. I'm not so much worried about hot or cold but big swings from day to day. That said i will be trying to grow a couple of plants through the hot season, I'm thinking maybe I'll get some seeds or something from them, I am not looking to get anything out of it. I'd say too that there is very little wind all the time as another barrier, the air quality is crap, people burn all of their refuse evrywhere in the region the farmers burn their rice fields and I think dead smoggy air encourages fungus growth and thats a huge problem with any plants here. if you lived by the coast you'd probably do pretty well, orchid growers seem to for sure.

I'm not surprised though to hear that say Rasoli can handle it down to 27 degrees farenheit they are from a mountain environment after all. These Lao plants are only from a hilly terrain in the SE Asian tropics, so i think it would be wise to n ot plant them in chilly climates. But then again cannabis is supposed to be all descended from central asian plants and maybe they have it in them to deal with it too.

Last edited:

Herbert Chickybaby

Hello Herbert. I am sharing a picture of a little male autoflower I was going to use to pollinate some girls. A couple days before dropping pollen I found female pistils so I got rid of it.

View attachment 18968538
Hello Squatter, I guess you mean to tell me that is maybe what I should have done. Yes, I have been told thaat seeds from hermies are not any good, I suppose we all have at this point. I am kind of investigating that myth/fact myself, so far I have some very good smoke from a hermy I raised and also got seeds from. I am not that picky however. Also I have a plant right now that is in it's third month a long flowering SE Asian Sativa grown from a seed on a hermy plant, it is not a hermy and thats what I get told a lot, your seeds aren't any good because they are from a hermy and those seeds will also only be hermies. I grew up smoking a lot of seedy weed, so I think this is not really necessary unless you are trying to maximize THC and I don't believe THC is what gives weed all of its effect, so I'm not interested really in maximizing and going to have fun a nd see what happens and grow out a bunch of bunk herm weed! Actually I also right now have one autoflower that hermied massively a Fast Buds Blue Dream I cut off the male flowers which were in balls of male flowers there seem to be tons of seeds as well so I won't have to pay Fast Buds any more money anytime soon, heheh.

squatty

No, no, I was just sharing my experience since it was the first time I've had a male grow pistils. I had another male and I was going to use two but ended up just using the one that didn't hermie. I think there are lots of people who use hermaphrodite plants and I believe with landrace plants it is even more common. I was interested in your Lao Sa experience since I have a pack.

Grow on Chickybaby!

Last edited:

Herbert Chickybaby

No, no, I was just sharing my experience since it was the first time I've had a male grow pistils. I had another male and I was going to use two but ended up just using the one that didn't hermie. I think there are lots of people who use hermaphrodite plants and I believe with landrace plants it is even more common. I was interested in your Lao Sa experience since I have a pack.

Grow on Chickybaby!
Oh I see. Yeah, I am having a great time exploring the Lao Sa multiverse this year. Among about 10 or so varieties of weed I've grown in the last two years, Lao Sa are tops for ease and vigor and I seem to get a wide range of different phenos which is very interesting and fun. I hope they will grow well in your area or indoor environment. A bargain too, I think Angus is still selling them for 30 quid/12 pack or so. I wish I could grow outside all year, there's just too much cool stuff to plant.

Herbert Chickybaby

I hope the Lao Sa will grow well for me also. I am always searching for plants which do well in high humidity.

I look forward to watching your grow.
Yes, if you live in high humidity you need those kinds of plants, if I learned anything this year its that, not just any cool looking strains on your local seed site will do. Humidity is pretty bad here and my second round of Lao Sa this year is doing very well, but its not over yet, a few more months. I have another one, a Bokeo from RSC that's also doing very well just getting into month 5, really has put on a lot of flower in the last two weeks or so and zero problem with botryitis a touch of powdery mildew on a few branches in spots, but it never seems to get anywhere and also Highland #4 is putting on the stacks in month 4. The Highland 4 is a bigger palnt than the Lao Sa's which are pretty small, 5-6 foot, the Highland is now pushing 9 foot, doesn't have a lot of branches, but enough and some are getting pretty packed out with bud.

I will say this too, the two Lao Sa I have growing side by side look as different as night and day and both such nice forms. One looks like a cypress tree and has many equal length branches, its a very symetrical plant. The other is very Xmass tree and has these very long, bare non-shaggy flower structures at the ends of every branch and that part keeps getting longer, from a short distance it looks like someone has placed a candle at the end of every branch.

Sorry no pictures yet, I think the last set is not that much different from now, they are all just more filled out. I think you'll most likely have some pretty good grows with Lao Sa barring any wind and rain for extended periods.