What's new

Inexpensive, Wet/Dry, Veg/Flower, 8-Minute CBD Test You Can Do At Home!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Dank.Frank pointed out something regarding vegetative testing. According to their experience, the level of CBD in veg is not a direct indication of CBD levels at peak ripeness in flower.

I'm looking for more information on this, if anyone is in a position to do some testing. :) I currently have root aphids, and possibly broad mites, so I'm not flowering for a little while here.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My understand when discussing testing methods to sort larger populations faster was:

1. CBD:THC ratios stay relatively the same when young leafs are tested.

2. The peak percentage or most potent plant, CAN NOT be confirmed as peak levels are not maintained. You can test a seedling and see it has 4% THC and another has 3%. The 4% is not necessarily the stronger plant, as the 3% plant could potentially finish with higher overall cannabinoid levels.

This seems to be the general consensus among those who have been breeding CBD genetic lines. I've not heard anyone challenge this with different information.

dank.Frank

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
My understand when discussing testing methods to sort larger populations faster was:

1. CBD:THC ratios stay relatively the same when young leafs are tested.

2. The peak percentage or most potent plant, CAN NOT be confirmed as peak levels are not maintained. You can test a seedling and see it has 4% THC and another has 3%. The 4% is not necessarily the stronger plant, as the 3% plant could potentially finish with higher overall cannabinoid levels.

This seems to be the general consensus among those who have been breeding CBD genetic lines. I've not heard anyone challenge this with different information.

dank.Frank
thats good to know as i have 2 males i wanted to test.
ill be testing 4 ANODYNE females for cbd & thc soon aslong with gorilla tonic, an medcine cookies.

caliprop215

Veteran
How do u figure out the % of the CBD. I see the separation but somone explain this further please. Do u let it dry out and get CBD Crystal's or what

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Cali. It's like a litmus test. The darker (or lighter) the color gives an indication as to the potency of the solution.

The test is not designed to give a definitive % as much as it is to help reduce populations and to help aid in making selections of otherwise unknowns.

For example. If I know I'm sorting a high CBD line and my goals is minimal THC, then the color indication for THC would be extremely useful in only selecting certain ones for further development or further testing.

It's a tool that is affordable and can be replicated using fairly easy enough items to come by. It's much better than paying $80-150 per test for specific numbered percentages, if half the plants you end up testing are way outside the desired parameters in the first place.

dank.Frank

revegeta666

Hi! I am only 3 years late to this thread but I still found it very interesting 😃

Just in case anyone is wondering, NO you can't substitute isopropyl alcohol with ethyl alcohol.

Saying this because I happened to have all the ingredients necessary to try out this method, just that the alcohol I have at home is 96° ehtanol. So I thought I might as well try, an alcohol Is an alcohol after all right? Wrong. It turns out chemistry is actually a science, who would have thought. I will buy 91° isopropyl and will try again and post my results here.

revegeta666

Stupid question sorry, I just can't find 91% isopropyl on Amazon in my country. Only 99.9%. I don't know, maybe 91% is the standard in the US and 99.9% is the standard in Europe?

I would think it should be close enough to work for this purpose, no?

Douglas.Curtis

Yes, anything higher than 70% works.

Edit: I just remembered I did that myself with r/o water a while back. Make sure to mix enough for all comparison tests so you have consistency in your results. :)

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I don't recal if it was this test or the THC test that Mystic Funk posted but I remember using Wood Grain Alcohol from Home Depot. That is basically denatured ethanol. I can't think of any reason you would have to use iso. Again, I am getting old and my brain is turning to mush so I could be remembering wrong.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
I don't recal if it was this test or the THC test that Mystic Funk posted but I remember using Wood Grain Alcohol from Home Depot. That is basically denatured ethanol. I can't think of any reason you would have to use iso. Again, I am getting old and my brain is turning to mush so I could be remembering wrong.
yes i used denatured alcohol in my tests, an i got all or most of this info from Mystic Funk, you just need a controle plant /clone with known THC% or CBD to baise the color chart for the others i use GG4 as my thc base because it has tested 30% or higher ,an i use a gorilla tonic as my cbd base test because it tested at 18% thc & cbd 15%

Bio boy

The cannabis community needs an economical, simple, easy to replicate, accurate, home CBD test.

Here it is...(full details and photos)

In a nutshell:

1 Dram vial
Add 500mg sodium hydroxide
Add 35mg dry cannabis (or same approximate SIZE, wet sample)
Half fill vial with 91% isopropyl
Shake 2 minutes, making sure everything is moving
Fill to shoulder of vial with 50% isopropyl
Shake 2 minutes
Add 250mg activated charcoal GRANULES
Shake 2 minutes
Let sit 2 minutes
Done

Canna-Tsu, at 7 weeks of flower, at 8 minutes:
cropped-Only-30mg-of-Canna-Tsu-Week-7-of-Flower.png

VERY low quality Blue Dream at 8 Minutes
cropped-Very-Low-Quality-Blue-Dream-at-8-minutes.png

Enjoy, and make sure you pass it on. :tiphat:
Thank you to those of you who answered my questions in the original thread on this type of test. It took me about a week of intensive work to figure this out, I know you'll appreciate how accurate it is.

Edit: Multiple feedback has confirmed a few things:
- Harvested flowers provide the most accurate results for a strain
- Clean scissors/equipment between tests to eliminate cross contamination
- Glass vials clean out significantly quicker and more reliably than plastic
- Photos against a white background at same time intervals make for easy comparisons
- Granular works quicker than pelleted charcoal

A HUGE Thank You Goes Out to:
Clearheaded, for posting the original information "easy home CBD test, easier then beam"
G.O. Joe, for clearly answering with exactly the information I was looking for. (You saved me WEEKS, maybe months?, of additional testing. THANK YOU!)
Bongstar420, for posting some additional information which jogged an idea.
&
Everyone else who participated in the thread!
Take a bow gentlemen, you've earned it and I thank you for it. :D
Save
Save
Nice shame you can’t thc the same lol

Douglas.Curtis

Nice shame you can’t thc the same lol
While I never got around to it... I'm sure you can make a very similar test using a sealed tube, since the acid probably would not react favorably with skin. Same principle, I simply have not had the budget and push to get it done.

Perhaps next year? ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts