What's new

indoor organic soil yield/ all others?

relief

It's been my experience that when I grow in a greenhouse I have MUCH less mold than plants out in the elements. Other people locally are getting killed by the weather we've been having the last two weeks (rainy and cloudy) and their crops are getting eat up with mold. Mine are doing great except for the two Satori and widows not in the greenhouse. I'm going to have to pull them early due to mold (today as a matter fact). Not only that, but my cannabis in the greenhouse is always much more potent. No wind, frogs, animals, insects, ect to rub off the tri combs. The most potent ganga I have ever grown is in a greenhouse grown organically.

Also, I use Miracle grow organic "potting" (amended with nutes), but perlite needs be added.

I've grown in the sun and under lights, and nothing can compare to the big hps in the sky IMO.
picture.php

picture.php

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, this thread got so good since yesterday, great posts all 'round. After genetics, light clearly is 'king'. It dictates water/nutrient use and consequent rootgrowth. But, I have grown a clone in many different outdoor locations (a few times) and have noticed something else to consider. Here in SoCal, 'full sun' is brighter than many other places in the country. A plant grown in a desert area will have small leathery leaves like those you see in indoor grows with way too much light (and maybe a fan directed on the plants). A plant grown in partial shade will often have much larger leaves. Here in SoCal, I've seen that partial shade clone outyield it's sister-clone in the full sun. I'm not making any conclusions as to why (so many variables). It could very well have been the richer organic content of the soil under the tree, or the shelter from drying wind, but I do think there's a correlation between leaf mass built up during veg and final yield.

M

mrred

some plants like shaded areas, plants actually grow at night, they use the daytime to soak up the energy, the leather effect is from your dry climate, here leafs are thinner because if they was thick they would mold easily because of the high humidity

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree with relief....come later in the season. plants in greenhouse = fine, plants outside = taking a risk.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think it depends on your lattitude and climate - because greenhouses are warmer in the daytime the air can hold more water vapor - so when the temps drop at night you get more condensation and this is compounded by the reduced ventilation in most greenhouses.
overall they are probably better than outdoor as they do get protection from the elements and a bit more heat, and you can control the environment a bit more (ie control how much to water), but i dont really get mould on any plants outdoor where i live whearas in the greenhouse it's a real fight against it come september. Thats why outdoors is so limiting genetically for me as there arent many strains that finish before mid september.

happyhi

nice plant RELIEF! all this talk is fun but seeing plants like that is more fun.
i also agree, greenhouse produces and protects.
genetics rule seems to be the consensus. so i throw another question at the crowd:

What is the impact of ruderalis in the genetic makeup in terms of psycho active effect?
If i understand things properly, it is the genetic source for shortening the flowering cycle.

Does the in breeding of ruderalis help or hinder the production of psycho active agents?

to mj: i have no idea if soil from the forest or a soiless medium inoculated with teas
and myco's is better, common sense tells me the ultimate medium is made by MN but i suspect along with it comes the whole package which when taken out of the forest and inserted into a bucket may prove more problematic than a medium that is sterile and under your control. in the perfect situation, i agree with you, outdoor that is carefully maintained under optimal weather will outperform any other method. Which is kinda what you get in a greenhouse in no.cal.
great reading, thanks to all
peace/hh

maryjohn

Veteran
Hh, this brings us to another nifty point: microclimate.

But I do dream of the day when the pot from particular region or banks of a certain river can be distinguished.

J

JackTheGrower

What is the impact of ruderalis in the genetic makeup in terms of psycho active effect?
If i understand things properly, it is the genetic source for shortening the flowering cycle.

Does the in breeding of ruderalis help or hinder the production of psycho active agents?

Well this the organic soil forum so your best shot on rudi is to find the guys on this site that grow it. Dono exactly..

I understand some are happy with it and other damn it to hell.. What the latest data is I don't know.

I'd like to try it outside sometime..

happyhi

where is bumble buddy

where is bumble buddy

Hh, this brings us to another nifty point: microclimate.

But I do dream of the day when the pot from particular region or banks of a certain river can be distinguished.

We just need Bumble Buddy to chime in now with a smoke review, which sounds better than many wine reviews.

Is it the soil that imparts the taste or the genetics? Micro Climates i think would have a greater effect on plant growth, yield and health but i don't think the micro climate effects the potency or taste, just my o.
:woohoo:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it the soil that imparts the taste or the genetics?

to me....both. just grow the same strain over and over, then switch and choose a different set of nutrient sources. its like night and day. thats why the fine tuning you can do with organics cant be matched with synthetics. too much organic matter on this planet to choose from.

happyhi

to me....both. just grow the same strain over and over, then switch and choose a different set of nutrient sources. its like night and day. thats why the fine tuning you can do with organics cant be matched with synthetics. too much organic matter on this planet to choose from.
very cool, so what would you say effects the taste the most? what things
do you add to the medium and what taste do they impart? I'm always trying to improve taste. Taste is so huge anything that will add depth is greatly appreciated.
peace hh

J

JackTheGrower

We just need Bumble Buddy to chime in now with a smoke review, which sounds better than many wine reviews.

Is it the soil that imparts the taste or the genetics? Micro Climates i think would have a greater effect on plant growth, yield and health but i don't think the micro climate effects the potency or taste, just my o.
:woohoo:

Well I believe with organics whatever makes the plant taste great can be raised to a higher power than chemical feeds.
That would seem to be inline with the need to flush with metal salts..

Organic soil and the tender care are what impart quality IMO.. I would hope that bud that gets the master gardeners personal attention would be World Class in that Garden.

J

JackTheGrower

Would you say JayKush each garden is different?

I am thinking that it's on the gardener to manage things to husband it towards quality..

Thus ask 10 organic gardeners get 10 different points of view..

What do you think?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very cool, so what would you say effects the taste the most? what things
do you add to the medium and what taste do they impart? I'm always trying to improve taste. Taste is so huge anything that will add depth is greatly appreciated.
peace hh

well when i started growing with organics i used guanos and the such, always noticed a very sweet taste compared to friends buds. as i started to move into homemade ferts ( plant extracts, composts, etc...) i noticed the sweetness went away (slightly but its always there still) and the tastes became more complex(which i prefer now) i noticed things like this because i grew the same strains over and over perfecting them. with new strains its not as noticeable. i cant say what amendments or ingredients made the buds taste better or worse i dont think its possible. but i do feel it was the different plant chemicals/minerals/nutrients provided the plant to produce these tastes. or maybe im just a wee bit hashed out.

happyhi

well when i started growing with organics i used guanos and the such, always noticed a very sweet taste compared to friends buds. as i started to move into homemade ferts ( plant extracts, composts, etc...) i noticed the sweetness went away (slightly but its always there still) and the tastes became more complex(which i prefer now) i noticed things like this because i grew the same strains over and over perfecting them. with new strains its not as noticeable. i cant say what amendments or ingredients made the buds taste better or worse i dont think its possible. but i do feel it was the different plant chemicals/minerals/nutrients provided the plant to produce these tastes. or maybe im just a wee bit hashed out.

jay kush/ apologies, i think i misinterpreted your response to me on another thread as being nasty, so my :moon:screw up sorry. thanks for your feedback
my best experence on taste has been generally with purple's but of all the plants we grew in the old days in the ground, it was always one plant that outshined the rest and it tended to be silver/magenta, and very often a volunteer. We ran very limited seed production but each year a volunteer would emerge, and strangely enough almost always a lady, which would if not be the best quality was always the highest yielding plant. Nothing we did was scientific, it was all based on communing with the garden and watching carefully.
peace/hh

maryjohn

Veteran
Hh, I've noticed the same vigor
in volunteers, mj and others. I never grew seedless outside. I suspect these are the seeds people "can't germinate". It's the weird hard one of the bunch, and I suspect it sits there for a whole year before sprouting. If you do your own sprouts you run across them in beans.

A theory I read was that these seeds are produced in small quantities by annuals as insurance against a bad spring. It seems to make sense that those seeds contain the strongest genes, built for survival against the odds.

In my big garden, we had tomato disaster this year (we tried heavy mulch instead of trellisses, and we got too much rain, which meant too many slugs that went for the fruit) with, but the volunteers are keeping us fed. We leave lots of tomatoes on the ground.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jay kush/ apologies, i think i misinterpreted your response to me on another thread as being nasty, so my screw up sorry. thanks for your feedback
my best experence on taste has been generally with purple's but of all the plants we grew in the old days in the ground, it was always one plant that outshined the rest and it tended to be silver/magenta, and very often a volunteer.

hehe no problem, from my experience with purple buds. HATE IT. taste good for sure but they all taste the same purple!!!?!?!! living in cali ive smoked TONS of purps and drives me nuts. i want flavor other than purple. i love volunteers, i always let them be. always.

In my big garden, we had tomato disaster this year (we tried heavy mulch instead of trellisses, and we got too much rain, which meant too many slugs that went for the fruit) with, but the volunteers are keeping us fed. We leave lots of tomatoes on the ground.

yea its funny i have 80+ tomato plants multiple variety's, and the volunteers that sprouted with the volunteer pumpkins and by far taste best. i always try and save seeds from those type of plants.

happyhi

Jk,
when growing the same strain despite your efforts to maintain consistency did you notice variation despite the genetics being the same? I've heard some commercial growers talk about even clones occasionally having variation.

a question on using bat shit, do you prefer scratching it into the soil or
mixing it into water? i just began using it for the first time and top dressed
and watered it in but it seemed like it might be better to mix it and let it sit for the night, what is the best way to use it? thanks, HH

happyhi

Hh, I've noticed the same vigor
in volunteers, mj and others. I never grew seedless outside. I suspect these are the seeds people "can't germinate". It's the weird hard one of the bunch, and I suspect it sits there for a whole year before sprouting. If you do your own sprouts you run across them in beans.

A theory I read was that these seeds are produced in small quantities by annuals as insurance against a bad spring. It seems to make sense that those seeds contain the strongest genes, built for survival against the odds.

one year we grew some cherry tomatoes, not my favorite, and since then,
maybe five years ago we have a patch of cherry toms that pop up each summer. i doubt i could get rid of them if i wanted to.
hh

Latest posts

Latest posts